Profile Of Future NBA First Round Pick - Shea Cotton

[Hot CoCo]

   Published on December 30, 1998

   JUNIOR COLLEGE BASKETBALL

   Troubled Cotton big man on JC campus

      * Long Beach City College star takes a different path toward his
        goal of the NBA

   By Damin Esper
   TIMES STAFF WRITER

   PLEASANT HILL -- The buzz was all over the Diablo Valley College
   gymnasium.

   "Which one is he?"

   "Is he turning pro or going to a four-year college?"

   "Why is he playing junior college ball anyway?"

   The gym was close to full for a Monday night game between two out of
   the area junior colleges -- not a normal occurrence. But Schea Cotton
   is not a normal basketball player.

   Six-foot-5, 215 pounds and the ability to fly doesn't even begin to
   describe the Long Beach City College freshman. Two years ago he was
   considered the top high school recruit in the state. As a freshman he
   led Mater Dei High School-Santa Ana to the California Interscholastic
   Federation Division I title.

   Since then Cotton has signed three national letters of intent, had an
   SAT qualifying score disallowed by the NCAA and moved cross country
   and back.

   "Being through all the trials and tribulations I have has made me
   more mature," he said. "Right now I'm just enjoying myself and
   working on my game."

   His game appears to be fine. On Monday he had 29 points, eight
   rebounds, three steals and two assists in 29 minutes to lead the
   state's top-ranked team to a 94-57 first-round victory over Shasta at
   the DVC Holiday Classic. Long Beach rolled past DVC on Tuesday to
   advance to tonight's championship game at 8 o'clock.

   Cotton made three plays against Shasta that stood out. One was a
   spinning drive to the basket that ended with a left-handed lay-up.
   Another was a dunk to close a fast break. The third came when he cut
   through the key for a shot and was hammered by Shasta's DeKeithi
   Walton. Cotton seemed to shed the body slam and still was able to lay
   the ball in.

   It's shots like that last one that have people wondering if he'll go
   straight to the NBA after this season. Scouts from the Minnesota
   Timberwolves and the Portland Trail Blazers were at Monday's game.

   Long Beach coach Gary Anderson said Cotton isn't quite ready yet.

   "He's not a finished product," Anderson said. "In terms of skills
   that can fit the NBA, he's got it. But he has to work on some things.
   Eventually, Schea is going to be one great player."

   Cotton began his high school career at St. John Bosco-Bellflower,
   where he played alongside Jelani Gardner. But in the middle of his
   freshman season, he transferred to Mater Dei, where he led the
   Monarchs to the state title. Before his junior season, Cotton
   transferred back to St. John Bosco. He played that season for the
   Braves but sat out his senior season because of a shoulder injury.

   Despite taking the year off, he was still one of the top recruits in
   the nation. He signed early to play at Long Beach State, joining his
   brother James. But when James Cotton renounced his final year of
   eligibility to enter the NBA draft (he was a reserve with the Seattle
   Sonics last year), Schea Cotton asked to be released from his letter
   of intent. The 49ers complied.

   Cotton then signed with UCLA but was involved in multiple
   controversies. The NCAA questioned a booster about leasing new cars
   to Cotton and another recruit, Baron Davis.

   Cotton also failed to get a qualifying score the first two times he
   took the SAT, then scored 900 on his final attempt. But he was given
   "special circumstances" -- more time to take the test and larger type
   on the test -- without prior permission.

   The NCAA declared his score invalid. When Cotton's appeals to the
   NCAA went nowhere, he decided to move to Connecticut and attend St.
   Thomas More-Oakdale -- a preparatory school. Last spring he signed to
   play at North Carolina State. The NCAA announced he still was
   ineligible because of the test controversy.

   Disheartened and maybe a touch bitter -- Cotton blames the NCAA for
   not allowing him to attend a Division I school -- Cotton decided to
   play JC ball. The natural choice was Long Beach because Cotton had
   played with Anderson's son on several summer traveling teams.

   "It was a pleasant surprise because I thought we had a pretty good
   team before Schea came in," Anderson said.

   With an eye to the future, Cotton has played guard for the Vikings.
   His athletic ability and strength allowed him to play either forward
   position in high school. But his height -- or lack of -- guarantees
   he will be in the backcourt at the next level.

   As for the future, Cotton said he isn't worrying about it. With the
   NBA lockout in progress, he's spending a lot of time with his
   brother. He is on pace to wrap up an A.A. degree in the spring that
   would allow him to attend a Division I school without retaking the
   SAT. He could try the NBA -- if there is an NBA. Or he could come
   back to Long Beach for a second season.

   "All of my options are open," he said.

   Edition: SRVT,  Section: C,  Page: 1

                         © 1998 Contra Costa Times