Re: Bird-like

----------
> From: Mike Dynon <mdynon@ix.netcom.com>
> To: Celtics List <celtics@igtc.com>
> Subject: Bird-like
> Date: Thursday, February 25, 1999 2:36 AM
>
> In Larry Bird's second pro game, at Cleveland, the Celts rebounded a
> Cavs' miss and the outlet pass was thrown to Bird near midcourt. Bird's
> back was to the basket where the Celtics were shooting, but in one
> motion, without looking, he volleyballed the pass over his head to a
> cutting teammate for the easy hoop. Even before he got the ball, Bird
> knew where his teammate was, and then had the ability and smarts to make
> the right pass for the situation.

Great memory, Mike!

 > I remember that episode clearly because I knew at that moment that Bird
> was an extra special player. It came to mind tonight because Pierce made
> a similar move that might mean he really is a man of destiny, too.

I had these exact same thoughts.  Most everyone will remember the pass, and
not the play leading up to it.  The pass itself shows off Pierce's
instincts, that sort of "uncoachable, unteachable" qualities that only the
really exceptional players possess.  I believe I will cherish every day
Pierce wears a Celtic uniform.

Bob G