Re: Donaldson sticks Pitino

Bob George said:
> Jim Donaldson, a good Providence Shaughnessy/Ryan wannabe, usually has some
> good rips now and then.  Today I think he was wrong in ripping the
> Ricktator.

Great responses, Bob!  I wonder if these half-informed trash-talkers
would say the stuff they do if they knew they'd have to read the responses
like we do on this list!

Michael Gooen said:
> Can we all just calm down a little -- please?  In this miscarriage of
> a season in which ALL teams pretty much suck, I think there's a very
> important statistic that's been lost in all the "trade Antoine",
> "trade Mercer" and "trade everyone except Pierce" frenzy....
>
> Ron Mercer:  5/18/76.
> Antoine Walker:  8/12/76.
> Paul Pierce:  10/13/77.
>
> It's too easy to point out that the rookie Larry Bird was more mature
> than Antoine because Bird was, in fact, OLDER then than Antoine is

Everyone on this list should read the above after every Celtics loss
for the rest of the season.  22, 22 and 21.  These guys are all rookie
age or younger.  If some folks on this list invested in stock, I imagine
they'd never hold onto any stock more than a week, because as soon as
they have a couple straight days with no gains, they'd say "I'm dumping
this piece of garbage".  Look, these young guys are like investments...
Pitino is giving them lessons and experience and conditioning, and
eventually (about 2 years) they'll produce tremendous returns, but it
won't happen right away, and until it does, expect to see flashes of
brilliance mixed with some horrible play, (with extra horrible play
until their conditioning gets up to normal levels).

I agree with whoever said Walker should not be captain.  He's
demonstrated that he's too immature.  If they're gonna have a captain,
make it a Dana Barros or DeClerq or eventually Popeye Jones or some other
veteran with some on and off-court maturity.

Joe Hironaka said:
>  Pitino has dealt with Walker since
> he was 15 and might know better than us what the kid is about. As flawed as
> he is, Antoine is the polar opposite of a Derrick Coleman in terms of desire
> and heart. It's always going to be a bumpy and aggravating ride because
> Antoine is such an incredible baby,

Exactly!!  Antoine's desire and heart are hard to find, and are needed in
a player who's going to get down in the trenches and scrap.  You can't teach
desire; you have to start with it.  Pitino will teach the skills.  All Antoine
needs is the on-court maturity, and that will come with time and experience.
The more quickly he gets out there makes mistakes and realizes his poor
decisions, the more quickly he'll mature.

I liked the quote that Joe posted from the Herald where Antoine answered
that the best part of the road trip was Paul Pierce.  If he were jealous,
he'd find something else to say.  I think he's really proud and happy to
have Paul on the Celtics.  That's a very good sign.

Jon Mc