MG In Exile

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                For Celtics, rebounds are a pivotal
                                problem

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 02/21/99

                                WASHINGTON - Rick Pitino hasn't
                                called the Psychic Friends Hotline
                                yet or taken out an ad with the toll-free
                                number: 1-800-I-NEED-A-REBOUNDER.

                                But it may come to that, soon, if we are
                                to believe the coach was speaking out of
                                something other than utter exasperation
                                after Friday night's wipeout in Portland.
                                Pitino had just seen his club get
                                demolished inside by Brian Grant & Co.,
                                106-86, and bludgeoned on the boards,
                                52-37. He emerged from the locker room
                                wondering how he might be able to get
                                blood from a stone.

                                ''I have to do one of two things,'' he
                                said. ''I can move Antoine [Walker] to
                                small forward, which gives us a bigger
                                lineup. Or I can make a trade and bring in
                                someone who rebounds the basketball. We're
                                getting dominated on the glass.''

                                This, of course, is not a news bulletin.

                                ''Rick has been preaching that for a long
                                time,'' Dana Barros said. ''It was our
                                biggest problem last year and it's still
                                here. It's not like it's a new problem or
                                something.''

                                Asked if he thought Pitino was exasperated
                                by the situation, Barros said, ''I think
                                he's probably beyond that.''

                                The Celtics' sacrificial centers have been
                                a source of concern all season. They have
                                not had a real post presence at either end
                                since Pitino has been here - and before he
                                got here. They're a finesse team,
                                basically, which gets by making outside
                                shots and creating havoc on defense.

                                Pitino indicated he'd likely start
                                addressing the problem by moving Walker to
                                small forward. Walker probably should be
                                at small forward, except that position is
                                currently manned by an individual with
                                seven games of NBA experience who also
                                happens to be their best player: Paul
                                Pierce. And if Pierce moves to the
                                backcourt, that takes away minutes from
                                Ron Mercer.

                                The other option - a trade - is something
                                Pitino has said he'd be extremely
                                reluctant to do if it meant dealing what
                                he frequently calls ''an asset.''
                                Translated, that does not mean Eric Riley
                                or Greg Minor. It means Pierce, Mercer, or
                                Walker or perhaps Kenny Anderson.

                                He has to find a team that needs what he
                                has - shooters - and has what he needs -
                                bruisers. The Celtics' rebounding numbers
                                are not all that bad; they're one of the
                                best offensive rebounding teams in the
                                league. But Pitino wants rebounds at the
                                other end. It's not a good sign when an
                                opponent's offensive-rebound total matches
                                your defensive total. That happened Friday
                                night.

                                ''Outside of Paul Pierce, we are not
                                physically imposing at a lot of
                                positions,'' the coach said. ''Our [big
                                men] aren't killers on the glass. From a
                                physical, rebounding position, all you see
                                is Paul Pierce. We're going to have to do
                                something about it.''

                                The Celtics arrived here yesterday morning
                                and worked out in late afternoon at the
                                MCI Center. The Wizards edged the Bulls,
                                93-91, on Friday night at home and don't
                                present an immediate brutality problem.
                                They don't even have a center. They
                                started Ben Wallace there on Friday
                                against the similarly pivot-pathetic Bulls
                                ... Pitino said he was not overly
                                concerned about the team's slow starts.
                                The Celtics frequently find themselves in
                                double-digit deficits in the first half -
                                that was the case in all three games out
                                West - and have yet to lead at the half
                                this season. ''When I was with the Knicks,
                                we trailed a lot at the half,'' he said.
                                ''But then we pressed the entire second
                                half.'' The Celtics don't have that luxury
                                right now ... Roxbury's Randell Jackson
                                has been getting some time for the Wizards
                                and actually was put in the starting
                                lineup for a couple of games last week.
                                The former Madison Park and Winchendon
                                star went undrafted out of Florida State
                                but has found a home in Washington. ''He's
                                got a chance,'' said Wizards coach Bernie
                                Bickerstaff. ''Nothing seems to faze him.
                                He probably had the best camp of any of
                                our guys. I've got to find a way to get
                                him minutes.'' Jackson played five minutes
                                Friday.

                                This story ran on page D09 of the Boston
                                Globe on 02/21/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.