Ron and the three.

I just tried to write something positive, but all I could come up with was,
"I didn't expect them to win last night and if they continue to win half
their games I'll be pleasantly surprised." But, one last negative comment.
I'm going to assume that Mercer is still hurt. However....one more time on
this "three" thing. Pitino doesn't, will never, and can't coach a low-post
offense. This team will, as long as Pitino's in charge, think
fast-break/lay-up or outside shot first. They will always give up a lot of
points, so they'll need to score a lot of points. Unless they're getting a
ton of lay-ups, their shooting percentage will always be low. Pitino wants
them, and they will need, to take a ton of shots to win. They have
to....have to...and I'm convinced that Pitino wants them and needs them to,
take a lot of threes. Since they're going to be out there heaving them, it
makes sense to step out a little farther and make it a three. That's why
Walker took so many of them last year and his coach let him. That's why he
continues to take them and his coach lets him. That's why Pitino said the
other day that the three, taken within the offense, is a good shot. That
is, you don't take it out of desperation...you set it up. Pitino's fast
break first/outside shot every other time game is made for guys to take a
chance on the three. If you don't like this...sorry, I think you better get
used to it. Now...Mercer. If you don't want Walker heaving them; if you
don't like Barros on the court for a lot of minutes because he can't play
the point to save his life; if you don't want Kenny taking them because he
should think pass first; then Mercer better start trying them and making
some or......sorry guys, St. Ron is going in a trade soon. If Pitino is
going to have a one-dimensional shooting guard, shooting and hitting the
three every now and then better be part of that dimension. Now...I'm going
to assume that Mercer's knee still hurts. I'm going to assume that he just
can't get enough lift for a three. I'm going to assume that he can't wait
to get healthy and start shooting the lights out. So...I'm going to
continue being positive and full of patience. But...if Mercer gets healthy
and doesn't even try them....I'm not sure how positive and patient Ricky is
going to be. Mercer can do it, and it will make this team better.

Paul M.