Pregame report from Portland (Long)

As I have been given the honor of handling tonight's game for the list, if you think I can't wait someone needs to take my kid off the sugar, I would like to review a number of items regarding the Blazers and where the Celtics stand-up against them tonight.  I read cover to cover all the local papers, and have been very attentive to goings on in Blazer land for last couple weeks.  Here are some keys:

Portland has been playing at a very high level for the first 3 quarters of each game, letting very weak teams come on in the 4th, to the point of losing 2 of them most notably Golden State.  They are a good young team, not unlike Boston with 2 key differences; an old and aging yet effective center in Sabonis, who might play very few minutes tonight in light of our weakness at center, more on that in a moment, and Stoudamire, who in effect replaced our beloved Kenny.  Damon is the real deal, and is coming off his personal worse game of the year with Denver Wednesday.  Why is that important, well he has a very high level of expectation of himself, Kenny is coming back for the 2nd time, and Damon has no intention of letting Kenny get the better of him.  This position will definitely be the weak link tonight.  I can hope that Kenny comes with full game face, or because of Damon's shorter height, maybe Dana can play some minutes and perform, or maybe Bowen can play some key minutes and handle Damon well. Regardless I expect to see a big game out of Damon, and hope Kenny can hold his own.

Sabonis is badly banged up.  He only played a few minutes versus Denver and only then when Denver cut the lead to 7 late, taking advantage of Portland's key weakness.  I expect them to play closer to 48 tonight as this is the key issue reported about the team in last 48 hours.  Save for maybe the cutting public enemy number 1 Long, and the fact that Sabonis's back-up Kelvin Cato, is giving our boy Minor a run for his Bad Father of the Year Award, with a big maternity case coming to light.  It could work to our advantage if Dunleavy pushes to play small, which he loves to do, with both Grant and Wallace effectively being power forwards.  I expect to see both Popeye and AW getting court time together tonight, and less of Battie, unless, Cato does well.

At guard Mercer definitely has the advantage over Rider/Jackson/Williams.  And if keeping Mercer rested is a key, Bowen should be able to shut them down.  Pierce should do very well versus Williams and company, and of course I am busting to see the boy in the flesh.  Hold me back Martha.  I can't add a lot to what every one knows about our strengths here, and Portland's apparent strengths, but somewhat limited depth at the 3.  Having McCarty would put us over the top at the 3 tonight.  Maybe playing small AW could get some 3 time, though I doubt it.

He needs to come up big.  Here's a shock, Antoine will be the difference tonight, because other than Damon, the Blazers are the deepest team in the league at PF, with effectively 2 all-stars playing the same position.  Coach has a big challenge here every night, and therefore loves to go small, with Wallace at center.  I am optimistic of course for AW's game tonight,  because if the Blazer 2 headed PF has one weakness it is at defense.  Therefore AW, and he has to be conditioned to hold up tonight, can take it strong, make some jumpers, get to the line and make the FT's because remember Portland has a sure 12 fouls at the 4, then the Celtics will win Period.

My keys for a Celtics win are the following;

1.  Hope the Celtics have something left in the tank after the epic game less than 2 days ago.  Let us thank the Leprechaun God that this win wasn't yesterday, or I might have stayed home (kidding).
2.  They must hope to contain Damon at all aspects of his game, if he get 10 assists, or 20 points or worse both, it is going to be tough.
3.  Have decent games from Pierce and Mercer.  Now this seems like a given, but after Vancouver anything is possible.  So a great game from one, and an "average" game from the other will suffice.
4.  Play the first and last quarters like they want to win.  Ok, too simplistic for you, well the 1st is key because Portland always starts out strong, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that Boston has improvement to make here.  The 4th is even more duh, but please realize that if we can be close, the Blazers have been outscored by over 10 points on average in the first 6 games in the 4th.  Sure they are keying on this, but you can't teach Shaq to shoot FT's overnight either.
5.  We need only decent play at best at Center.  If someone steps up and has a better than average game, then we could pull away.  Cato is so so, and definitely distracted, Sabonis has got 25 minutes tops, and O'neal hasn't played more than 5 minutes in a game yet, and quickly becoming a true HS bust.  Hang tough here and we will be OK.
6.  Play Pitino ball.  It has been recognized that Portland plays a similar style, and at the same time the whole town knows they don't fair as well against it.  Not this short year per se, but over the last few years.  IF Boston can stay on a RP game plan, then tonight's game has a chance, of being the 2nd biggest win this season, after Vancouver, and Boston will return home with a 2-1 record on this only Western swing, being over .500 ball in a very competitive division.  Mark my words that a win tonight after Wednesday, will be the true sign that this team has arrived, and with seasoning, a key new piece or two, we will be celebrating in the early part of the new Millennium.

Thanks for the 1st installment of this vine, and I look forward to reporting the details you can only get in person at a game.  I do not have cable or a dish, so what I will say will be from the boxscore and from what I see on the court, and hear on the local radio talking head.  Remember Boston canonized our HOF announcer, Portland ran there's out of town, just like they did all there HOF players.  I expect to see a Boston win tonight, as much as I want the Celts to win every night, but also because the Blazers have done nothing to enamor me to them over the lifetime I have lived in their media market, and I am not alone in this feeling.  I hope to keep my emotions in check, to a point, to keep my son's impression of me somewhat reasonable, and of course I look forward to seeing some of list pals at the game.  Boston Celtics basketball is an institution and a family, and living 3000 miles away makes it hard to be a fan, but my chance tonight to see them, in light of the shortened season, is one I feel fortunate to have.  Thanks and I would like to leave you with a story about the Portland game 2 years ago;

My wife and I sat about at the 20 yard line across from the Boston bench, half way up the lower section.  Close enough to be heard.  A couple blow hards started right off giving Marty Conlon a hard time, about everything under the sun.  If was mean at times and a riot at other times, and Marty definitely heard them and looked their way numerous times early in the game.  We were sitting about 25 feet from them, closer to the court.  After the half, I started yelling encouragement to Marty and the whole team.  They lost of course, as ML ensured a 15 win season for reasons we don't want to know about.  Late in the last quarter, Marty made a steal, passed off and came down on the break, took the pass from Barros, went under the hoop with a reserve lay-up.  It was sweet. The 2 jokers roared up out of there seats, and yelled lucky break.  Marty as he lumbered up court turned to them put 2 fingers to his lips and blew them a kiss.  It made the local highlight real.  Within seconds he made another play and score, and by now the stiffs were quit.  I got and up yelled, "We love you Marty, Celtic Pride".  At the next stop of action he turned to me, as he and about 5000 other folks had heard me, and pointed at me and knodded.  My point is that even at their worse, they are my Boston Celtics, and we don't hang no freaking Conference Championship banners in our home, because we don't have the room.

For all watching at home, or in person, remember; Celtic Pride, Rafters Baby, Scoreboard, and #17 in 2001 mean something.  Hold your head high and tell the world I am Celtic fan, and we expect to win every night, no more no less.  For those who criticized the Vancouver win, fine, remember the 3 OT win in 76 is just that a great win, and no one today criticizes the star or the 12th man for their performance.  Winning is the key; Here's to Red.

God Speed,
Greg Odegaard