Re: Reggie Lewis

When Lewis died in 1993, I was screaming "Who in the hell allowed him to go
out and play at all?  Whoever did is going to get the pants sued off of
them!!!"  Going out to play meaning his fatal shootaround at Brandeis in
August of 1993.  I was back home in Springfield when he died (haven't been
back since), and followed it pretty carefully.

According to my memory of back then, Lewis's career should have been OVER,
PERIOD.  I remember out here in California when Hank Gathers of Loyola
Marymount died of similar causes in 1990, and I was seeing the same thing
happen to Lewis.  Gathers was diagnosed with cardiac arrhythmia, and Lewis
was simiarly diagnosed (although, and I'm no MD, Lewis had something similar
called "cardio-myopathy"), yet nobody was making any overtures about Lewis
quitting basketball.  The feeling seemed to be to find a way to get Reggie
back out on the court.

Then when Lewis died and all the stuff came out, I was figuring that sooner
or later Dr. Mudge would be sues for malpractice by Donna Harris-Lewis.
Either Mudge or perhaps even Dr. Arnold Scheller (Celtics' team physician)
would be on the hook for this.  Whoever told Lewis that he could someday
continue to play basketball is in deep trouble.

Now Will The Shill (McDonough, ask a Patriot fan what "the Shill" means)
comes out with this stuff about cocaine, even though no mention was made of
cocaine back then and Lewis seemingly was cleared of any drug usage.  I
guess it all depends upon whether or not you believe Will The Shill or not.

Myself, I stick to the story of 1993.  Lewis should have been GROUNDED and
told to take it easy and retire from basketball.  My memories of Lewis are
fond, and I still mourn greatly his passing.

Bob G

Bob George

Read Bob George's Best Of Boston Sports At
http://www.bobgeorge.com