Hey Mercer Bashers

Why are you picking on Ron?

Let's review this guy's stats from his ROOKIE season:

15.3 pts, 84% FT, 45% FG

Now, I don't know what expectations some of you have, but those numbers
are damn good for a rookie.  Listen up, the modern day NBA dictates that
every starting position cannot be filled with All-Stars.  Is Mercer and
All-Star?  Not yet.  Does he have the potential to become one?  He sure
does.  What are his weaknesses right now?  Long range jump shot, and the
occasional lack of consistency from medium range.  I expect both of
these parts of his game to develop quickly over the course of this
season.  From all reports, this guy has worked too hard to not make some
significant improvements this season.  I could list player after player
who plays the small forward/shooting guard position who took a couple of
season to develop their entire game, but I'll just name a few:  Michael
Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Allan Houston, Dee Brown, Clyde Drexler.  Now, I
don't expect Mercer to become the next Jordan, but if he has the talent
and the attitude to become every bit as good as any of the other players
I mentioned.  Let the guy get healthy, and you'll see what I'm talking
about.  Besides, this team will likely not make the playoffs this year,
and won't content for a championship for at least 2 or 3 more seasons,
so he's got plenty of time to develop along with the rest of his
teammates.

Todd