Malone, et al

After the first weekend, the ballots are in:  ROY, you guessed it--our
own Paul Pierce.  It was unanimous.  MVP--Charles Barkley (still the
best rebounder in all bb).  Coach of the Year--whoever is at Detroit.

Really, I don't expect Barkley to keep it up, but I'm glad he can
still do it.  Pippin is a great role player.  And Malone, who doesn't
have a brother--certainly not Jeff--will likely be the real MVP,
unless NBC gives out the award to . . . Kobe.

Mercer is missed mainly because of his speed.  We're too slow without
him.  But with his blazing speed the whole tempo changes.  I vote for
drafting a point guard right now, even though I expect Kenny to
recover and dazzle us again.  Add Kenny, Mercer, Jones and DeClerq to
the team that won on Saturday and I'm still optimistic for this year.

Cheers,   Gene