re:Rodman/Fakers

Here is an AP story on the LA Flakers interest in signing Dennis Rodman
at 1 million.  Sounds like a typical Jerry West coup. I personally think
Rodman could actually really help them.

I sure hope La La Land doesn't get a championship before we do. I think
our Celts will be meeting (and beating) the Fakers regularly in the
Finals throughout the next decade.

Joe

*****

Feb. 3 (Associated Press)  LOS ANGELES -- Dennis Rodman's options for
the upcoming season appear to be diminishing by the day, with the Los
Angeles Lakers perhaps the only team still interested in him.

The 37-year-old Rodman, the NBA's top rebounder in each of the last
seven seasons, wanted to play for the Orlando Magic, who are coached by
Chuck Daly -- Rodman's coach in Detroit from 1986-92.

But Magic general manager John Gabriel indicated Wednesday the chances
of that happening are slim, mainly because Rodman has made it clear he
wishes to receive special treatment. Spokesmen for the Houston Rockets
and Miami Heat, both considered possibilities for Rodman, also said
Wednesday it was extremely unlikely there would be an attempt to sign
him at this time.

 Lakers executive vice president Jerry West has expressed an interest in
Rodman, butsaid he was uncertain whether Rodman would be interested in
the Lakers, who can offer him a veteran minimum starting salary of $1
million under the new labor deal.

 "We've discussed it, but everyone's putting the cart before the horse,"
West told the Los Angeles Times on Wednesday. "We don't have any idea
whether there's any interest on his (Rodman's) part."

 Rodman, who has played on five of the last 10 NBA championship teams --
including the last three with the Bulls -- recently mentioned the Lakers
as one of the teams he was interested in joining.

 Shaquille O'Neal has pushed in recent days for the Lakers to sign
Rodman.

 West reportedly spoke Tuesday with one of Rodman's new agents, Steve
Chasman, to see if there was interest on Rodman's part in playing for
the Lakers.