DenverPost.com - Nuggets Basketball

Title: DenverPost.com - Nuggets Basketball

Go to DPO front page

ARCHIVES

BUSINESS

CLASSIFIEDS

CONTENTS

DISCUSSION

DPO SERVICES

ENTERTAINMENT

LIFESTYLES

MARKETPLACE

NEWS

OPINION

PROMOTIONS

SPORTS
-Auto Racing
-Avalanche
-Broncos
-Colleges
-Columnists
-Contests
-Discussions
-Nuggets
-Preps
-Other Sports
-Rapids
-Recreation
-Rockies
-Scores
-Snow Sports
-Women's Sports

WEATHER

DPO MAIN

SEARCH DPO:

Denver uncorks a clunker

By Mike Monroe
Denver Post Sports Writer

Dec. 31 - That bottle of champagne the Denver Nuggets had been planning to pop to celebrate year 2000?

After their last game of 1999, it will probably be a fizzless dud.

The Nuggets on Thursday night laid an old-fashioned, 19th century-style egg against the Boston Celtics at the Pepsi Center, falling 102-94 to a team that had lost 11 road games in a row.

The Celtics hadn't won anywhere but the FleetCenter and Air Canada Centre this season, last winning away from Boston on Nov. 2. But the Celtics beat the Nuggets for the second time in three weeks, outplaying them from start to finish in a victory that sends them back to Boston after a three-game road trip and into Y2K with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

And all that goodwill the Nuggets engendered through the Rocky Mountains by winning 10 of their last 11 games at their new home court and running up a 15-12 record before Thursday's clunker?

Evaporated, like so many fermentation bubbles.

"That would have been a great opportunity to be four games over .500," an obviously steamed Nuggets coach Dan Issel said afterward, "and we let a team that can't win a game on the road do whatever they wanted to do." Issel overstated things only marginally. The Celtics had, too, won on the road this season. Of course, it was all the way back in their season opener, at Toronto, on Nov. 2. Since, they had not won once in any state that voted for Richard Nixon in the 1972 presidential election.

And the Nuggets didn't let the Celtics do quite everything they wanted. Boston hadn't intended to be outrebounded by 10, or to give up 14 offensive rebounds, which was the only reason the Nuggets managed to claw from 12 down to within one point with 7:37 left in the game.

But the Nuggets coach was close to right.

The Celtics did most everything they wanted, including turning Paul Pierce into their go-to guy in the fourth quarter. Pierce scored eight points in the final eight minutes, including five straight to push Boston's lead from 88-85 to 92-85 with 3:50 remaining.

Pierce was surprised to find he was guarded through most of the final period by Denver small forward George McCloud, whose 10-year career has been built on a foundation of clutch perimeter shooting, not a reputation as a defensive stopper. McCloud did what he could to keep Pierce, averaging 18.9 this season, from getting clean looks at the basket, but he appeared nearly powerless to stop him.

Denver's James Posey had opened the game with the defensive assignment on Pierce, but played only 10 minutes of the second half.

"It surprised me," Pierce said of the defensive matchup. "I thought (James) Posey did a good job on me. And I was surprised I didn't get trapped more late, because they were doing it a lot in the first half." Posey hardly poses the offensive threat McCloud does, and with the Nuggets trailing throughout the second half, Issel said he could not afford the luxury of using his defensive stopper.

"We needed the offense," Issel said.

The Nuggets found themselves in such a predicament because they opened the game as if their sole concern was getting to Denver International Airport to catch planes to holiday parties. Issel already had told them they would have today and Saturday off to celebrate the arrival of Y2K, which helped explain the coach's pique, since his munificence was rewarded by one of his team's worst efforts of the season.

"We weren't playing like we had been playing," said Ron Mercer, the Nugget whose personal quest to beat the team that traded him away in August was met with frustration twice in three weeks. "They came out pumped up, with more energy than we had. We just weren't ourselves tonight." Issel said he knew the Nuggets weren't themselves as soon as he saw them clanking free throws and throwing uncatchable passes.

"Obviously," he said, "we weren't ready to play. We missed 16 free throws. Free throws and turnovers, that's an excellent way to tell if you're ready to play. We had guys who couldn't hold on to the ball."

Copyright 1999-2000 The Denver Post. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Return to top

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image