Re: Ainge

In a message dated 12/23/1999 1:15:04 PM Pacific Standard Time, Bos3332
writes:

> How About next year Bird and Ainge take over the Celtics?

     The gist of the article was that Ainge simply didn't like coaching.  He
has six kids, ages 6-20 or so, and didn't think it was worth the hours and
stress.  There was also some language about trying to deal with today's
players being unrewarding.  some nice quotes from McHale were also included.
     The more I read about Bird, the more ambivalent I become about him.  I
cannot, and will not, question his greatness as a player, but his reactions
to his return trips to Boston, his "salute" to Barkley just sound sort of
like someone I might not enjoy spending time with.  (Of course, he'd feel the
same way about me, I'm sure!)  Would I want him as coach?  Maybe so.  One
doesn't have to be lovable to be a coach, and he has done a fine job with a
geriatric Indiana team.  But I will not get into the "fire Pitino" argument.
I'm old enough to be patient.  The 1999-2000 Celtics are going to be better
than the 98-99 version, and will certainly be better than the ML version.
The players are still young, although getting older.
     Before camp this year, I posted a query to this list along the following
lines:  "Unless the Celtics ___________, this year, I'll give up on them and
call for Pitino's head."  Personally, I think they better make the playoffs.
If they do that, even with a 500 or worse record, it's a solid step in the
right direction.  This team is at least three years from the NBA Finals under
the best of circumstances.  Just keep on improving...