Now get ready for "I LOVE Danny!"

Fortson will return for the Clippers game, foot completely healed,
according to the Boston Globe.

BTW, I love Fort's general comments and attitude about the Lakers game
in the article. For what it's worth, Danny Fortson played three games
against the Fakers last season. The first game he benchwarmed (19
minutes, 8 points) in a loss, but the last two times were big confidence
builders for him.

In those two games (1-1), Fortson smashmouthed the Fakers for 13-15
freethrows, 12-18 FG shooting (37 points overalll) and 23 rebounds. His
most impresssive game against the La La Boys was his last (his only
start against them, incidentally). He poured in a Cincy-era 21 points on
8-11 shooting against Rodman/Shaq, 12 rebounds (6 offensive), and 5-5
from the free throw line in 34 minutes at center.

So when Danny states below that "the Lakers are beatable" and "we should
have won against the Lakers", it could be coming from more than just his
frustration about the loss (a frustration we all share). It could also
be he knows what he's talking about. Come the 25th February, we'll hit
Tinsel Town at full strength and I refuse to believe for a second that
we'll leave town without delivering some serious payback on those
jokers.

Joe

By the way, do people who watched the Boston-LA fiasco really believe it
is mandatory for our center to front Shaq? What if Potapenko plays him
more or less straight up next time, and one of our forwards doubled
down? As strong as Shaq is, Potapenko only gives up 15 pounds or so on
him. I don't care how we do it, but one way or another we are going to
deliver whup-ass on the Lakers next time.

-----

Fortson nears return, and that should help
Celtics rebound
By Frank Dell'Apa, Globe Staff, 12/22/1999

WALTHAM - Danny Fortson will not be expected to solve all of the
Celtics' problems when he returns for their visit to the Los Angeles
Clippers Sunday.

But Fortson's recovery from a broken right foot is an encouraging sign
as the
Celtics take a six-game losing streak into tonight's game against
Atlanta.
Fortson participated in his first full practice yesterday since being
injured in the
second game of the exhibition season. His foot has completely healed,
but he
will need more conditioning before playing, according to coach Rick
Pitino.

The Celtics have struggled against opposing frontcourts and were simply
overmatched against Los Angeles's Shaquille O'Neal in a 99-90 loss
Monday.

''We should have won against LA,'' Fortson said. ''We've had a couple of
games
like that. It was frustrating for me in the beginning to watch and not
be able to
help out. But the more and more I work out, it's not so bad. I've
learned to deal
with it.

''We have to just go out and win, simple as that. Nobody is going to
feel sorry
for you in the NBA. But we are a young team, and we are making progress.
If
we were a veteran team and we were losing games, we would have major
problems. But we're still young, and Coach Pitino is pointing us in the
right
direction.''

But the Celtics have lately been moving in the wrong direction, with
just three
wins in their last 13 games.

''The Lakers are playing with a lot of confidence, Shaq is a dominant
player, and
they believe they can beat the world right now,'' Fortson said. ''But LA
is
beatable. And we can have that same kind of confidence as long as we
don't
read the papers, just come here and focus on beating teams on the court.
It
shouldn't become a psychological problem for us.''

The Celtics' visit to Los Angeles marks the start of a three-game road
trip. And
the Celtics have a nine-game road losing streak.

''We're struggling rebounding, and [Fortson] gives us another physical
presence,'' said Paul Pierce, who remains out with a sprained left
ankle. ''He is
one of the best rebounders in the NBA. And rebounding is the key. The
other
team can't get second shots, and it gets our transition game flowing,
everything
flowing.''