Re: Was Celts Barely Win

Excellent, Jim!  I wanted to say what you just said, but I wouldn't have said it as effectively.  I've often thought that Antoine has probably been told many times, before ever becoming a Celtic, that he was a superstar and he believed it, and believed he would just become one, without actually working that hard. I can see how that could happen, but he's in his fourth NBA year, regardless of his age, and he's a father, besides.  He just doesn't get it.

There are nuts in every crowd who think it's fun to say and do the things they are obviously doing.  They come in all ages, all ethnic groups and all income brackets.  They exist everywhere.  They are far from the majority, they're just louder and more  obnoxious.  The only way Antoine will ever get them off his back is to ignore them, not react, and work to improve his game.  That includes working during the summer and not believing he's above that sort of thing.  The shape he's in is testament to that.  I think it may have been a mistake to sign Walker to that large contract when they did - they should have waited.  That contract makes it even more important for Walker to prove he's worth it, and so far he hasn't.

Don't you think the term of "superstar" is overused?  I don't remember that term being used until Magic, Larry and Michael came along, but I could be wrong.  If someone is a true superstar, it's pretty obvious from the git-go.
Someone (Pitino?) should have given Antoine better advice or handled him differently.  Antoine isn't a superstar according to my definition, which includes many things other than stats.  If he gets his act totally together he should be a very good player.  There are many in the NBA right now who are as good, and some of them just as young.

This is bullsh*t.  He isn't too "Black", he's too "lazy".  You take a kid who
wants to be the "man", but won't come into camp ready to play, still isn't in
shape and there are few and far reports of him working extra hard to to get to
the level his skills allow, has a boorish attitude with the fans and the ref's
and how do you expect the fans to react?

The fans here in Boston appreciate a player who gives it everything and just a
little more.  A player who leaves it on the court, every game, gets the respect.

Any player white or black who does that gets the respect he deserves.  The
list of black players who the fans have loved is long and not all of them are
in the Hall of Fame.  The list of white players the fans couldn't stand is
also long and none of them will ever be in the Hall.

To continue to try and turn this into a "racial thing" is ridiculous.

If Walker put in half the effort Bird did everyone would be singing his
praises.  Hell if he put in half the effort Griffin does we would all be excited.

It's one thing to want to win, it's another thing to do the work it takes to
win.  Wanting it doesn't make it happen.

If he isn't going to put in the effort he won't get the respect.

It is really that simple.  Which part isn't he, and some others, getting?

<Jim