Celtics Barely Win: Celtics 100-Rockets 96

When Bill Cooper asked me to write the review of last night's game, it naturally appeared that I

had been handed a dreamy, hoop-o-licious assignment. What could be more satisfying than to

chronicle the second blowout in a row? But of course, a reservoir of horror lies behind all celtics

games, and it very nearly turned into the most discouraging loss of the season. That it didn’t is

actually more satisfying, in many ways, than a simple blowout would have been.

Houston came into the game with a roster barely fit for the CBA. Having lost Charles Barkeley two

 nights earlier. This left the young rockets without any kind of post presence, and with only a

rudimentary running game. Essentially, the team consists of Steve Francis and four other guys –

hardly a match for the well-oiled machine the Celtics had shown themselves to be against Denver.

In the first quarter, this plainly seemed to be the case. The Celtics were able to run and score

pretty much at will against the Rockets, including beautiful lay-in baskets by Kenny and, Antoine,

and effortless pull-up jumpers by Paul Pierce. "Effortless" is the key word here, since the Rockets

were playing almost no defense, and turning the ball over on offense on nearly every possession.

When the reserves came in, they found Houston every bit as inviting, and celtics fans were treated

to a jump shooting exhibition by Eric Williams, a three point play by Pervis Ellison, an in-your-face

twisting layup and feathery jumper by Calbert Cheaney, and other rarely-seen marvels of

basketball. By the time the half ended, the Celtics had built what seemed to be an insurmountable

 lead of nearly 20 points, and no doubt the players were high-fiving each other in the locker room

before trudging out to listen to Cedric Maxwell pay tribute to the round mound of rebound. (Larry

Bird appeared on the jumbo tron at one point – talking, not dancing – and told Charles to look up

at the banners, and think of him. Then he offered to let Charles see his rings. I was expecting a

 compliment at the end, but the screen went dead, making this a highly mean-spirited tribute.)

In the second half, hubris was served. Slowly but surely, the Rockets were able to whittle the lead

 down to ten points, as a combination of poor celtic shooting, aggressive and selfless rocket play,

and biased refereeing combined against us. I am not being a "homer" in saying this about the foul

shooting – it was clear that the referees felt that the unfortunate rockets needed all the help that

they could get, and that the Celtics needed none. None they needed, and none they got. The

Rockets were free to nudge, body, travel, palm, and do all the little things necessary to beat your

opponent illegally in basketball, while the celtics were monitored like a chimpanzee back from a

space mission. Fine! Who cares? But unfortunately, the Celtics seemed to think that the game

was over, and began playing a sloppy brand of basketball.

Several times this season, the team has blown big leads, but by some good fortune, I have

missed these games. Having now seen it happen up close, I think I understand the phenomenon a

 little better. The Celtics don’t play selfishly, nor do they forget to pass the ball. But as the horror of

losing the lead begins to assert itself, you can see the team freeze up, and the offense become

highly deliberate. Swinging the ball around seems a sure route to a turnover,and every individual

defender seems like a disgrace waiting to happen. The team then gets the ball to one man, who

pounds it carefully into the floor, and makes a deliberative, I-know-I-am-good-enough one on one

move while the rest of the team watches. Some bold spirit may try to shoot a three pointer before

the defense gets back, but this is just another form of recklessness based on fear. Had the early

deluge of points come against some kind of defense, perhaps this might not be the case; but the

Celtics were playing as much against the Ghost of Collapses Past as they were against the

Rockets, and as a result Houston made hay. The late third and early fourth quarter was a

nightmare of three pointers, alley-oops, penetration drives, and (inexplicably) putback after slow,

unopposed putback by ML Carr-era revenant Thomas Hamilton. Hamilton must have had ten

points in the second half on little one handed standstill lay ins and dunks. And each time the

Celtics tightened up more. That the game was won is a tribute really to Kenny Anderson and

Adrian Griffin, whose 6-6 foul shooting in the fourth kept the defense in the game, and sealed off

the Rockets from an absurd and undeserved triumph. Griffin, a rookie it will be remembered, was

 given the task of inbounding the ball on the crucial possession, and once fouled, stood up at the

line completely impervious to the panic of the Fleet Center, his teammates, and all of Celtic

Nation. The guys is really not human. He wasn’t even sweating. He just stood there, with his bulgy

eyes and his serene brow, and sank four out of four free throws to put the game out of reach. The

Rockets missed a key layup in the sequence, and the Celtics finally put the game out of reach in

the last second of play. In a way, this game was like getting two wins. We got to see the Celts

blowout an oppenent, AND we got to see them win a close game, with all its trimmings of mental

toughness, free throw shooting, execution, etc.

Players:

Kenny Anderson: Sitting in the front of the TV in my Old Milwaukee fired reverie, I finally realized

why Kenny is only getting 4 assists a game, and why the fast break is not working the way it is

supposed to. Kenny still doesn’t really feel comfortable running an uptempo team. He likes to be

in control quite as much as Chauncey Billups did, and will back off a break if he doesn’t see a

clearly streaking teammate right along side him. His offense has been flawless, and he makes

 some beautiful passes (last night he dropped a spinning, over the shoulder, in traffic pass to

Antoine under the basket) but he really doesn’t understand how to make them on the run while the

defense is retreating. Oddly, Adrian Griffin and Paul Pierce and much more suited to fast break

passing than Kenny is at this point, and that is why they are getting as many assists as he is.

Numerous times Kenny had people ahead of the pack (is Hamilton really going to stay with Tony

Battie on a dead run?) And didn’t get them the ball. This is the half-court general coming out, and

in fact even the Kenny that came over from Portland two years ago was essentially a half court

wizard. He’s fast as lightening, but he’s not a push man. He needs to face his fears and give up

the ball on the break more often.

Antoine: it may be the beer talking, but I think I have figured out what is going on with Antoine as

well. The guy is just not in shape or is carrying an injury. That’s why he can’t finish around the

basket, and that’s why he isn’t rebounding like he used to. (He rebounded really well tonight,

though.) Antoine needs that extra inch of lift more than most players, and that little burst of speed

around the rim. He isn’t getting it,and it’s really hurting his game. He played well tonight, set a ton

of picks, took good shots, passed the ball, rebounded, and even played some defense, but twice

in a row he was unable to score in an isolation against Thomas Hamilton. This tells me that Twon

is not Twon, and that he must be keeping some jelly donuts in his footlocker. Still has great skills

and a pretty high basketball IQ, but he needs to play his way into Paul Pierce shape.

Pierce. Really blossoming. The guy had his way with anybody the Rockets put on him, and

showed a complete floor game as well, with many nice passes. Went out and got seven rebounds

 and three assists in the flow of the game, and more importantly, had his game face on the whole

time.

Potapenko. Didnt play much for some reason, but made some really nice low post m

oves under control (he is one of the only guys on the team that can do this all the time) and picked

up four assists. They teach you how to play in Russia, they really do. I really like seeing VP and

Tony on the floor at the same time, but even as the only big man, VP is a real defensive threat. He

 has improved a LOT since last season, and is no longer a foul waiting to happen. Didn’t get any

of his midrange looks this game.

Battie. His offensive game was there, and he blocked two shots, but on the whole I wo

uld say this was a letdown game for Tony. He only had two rebounds, and didn’t terrorize

opponents the way he has been doing.

Walter. Did his thing on D w/the second unit, hit a few shots.

Eric Williams. Showed a much more diversified offensive game than we are used to seeing from him, although I miss his twisting, juking moves of old. But he needed to draw fouls and sink jump shots as well, and that he did. Also played hustling defense; a good game for Eric.

Dana. Looked like the old dana to me, and was on the floor for offense/defense at the end. He didn’t take a three pointer, but he was shooting like the Dana of old. Also had a couple of really nice penetration moves, one a cross over for a jump shot off the dribble in the lane, the other one of his high layups of the backboard.. Playing with a lot of confidence.

Cheaney. Made some shots during the run, froze up afterwards. Don’t ask me why. Played great Defense throughout. When he came over it was as a shooter, but he is really a great defender, and he was out there in the last minute for offense/defense as well.

Opposition player of note:

None. Francis good, but no Iverson. Another highlight reel player, albeit a less selfish one. Give me Mike Bibby.

Next up a game we won’t be afraid to lose at MSG. I’ll be there in green.

Josh Ozersky