BSG on Antoine

Sports Guy's finally ready to give up on Antoine Walker, which puts him in the majority, not the minority. Here's why it might be time for the C's to trade Employee #8.I can't remember struggling with more mixed emotions about a Boston athlete than the way Antoine Walker has made me feel lately. Quite simply, he's a handful. And I'm getting tired of him.

And I'm starting to wish he played somewhere else.

Yeah, I know, I know... I'm the guy who tried to start "Project Antoine" just six weeks ago. Let's just say that "Project Antoine" was right up there with the Sports Guy Newsletter, the infamous National Anthem column, "Red Sox Monday" and "Cyber Porn Tuesday" as one of the biggest disasters in the history of the BSG site. It's just IMPOSSIBLE to root for this guy.

Take the last two home games for example (both wins over Miami and Denver, which I watched in person at the Fleet Center):

THE MIAMI GAME
Cyber Twan didn't have much of an impact in this win (3-for-14 from the field with the game in doubt) and displayed his usual aversion to rebounding (this is a guy who averaged over ten boards a game two seasons ago and has only grabbed ten in a game twice this year... go figure). But that didn't even bother me as much as the way the Celtics captain acted at the end of the game:

With the Celts cruising by 12 in the final three minutes, Antoine drove into the lane and made a sweet jumper -- his first basket of the fourth quarter -- and inexplicably strutted back to the defensive end of the court while trash-talking every Miami player he could find. After Heat coach Pat Riley finally pulled his starting five, conceding defeat, Walker followed Alonzo Mourning to the bench, talking smack like an extra from the first scene of "White Men Can't Jump." When the Miami bench started bitching at him, Cyber Twan basically clotheslined Kenny Anderson for the ball in the final minute so he could shoot an in-your-face three-pointer in front of the visiting bench... which he promptly clanged before getting yanked.

Three comments here:

1. It makes more sense to trash-talk another team when you're actually playing well. Walker wasn't just a non-factor last Friday, he flat-out sucked.

2. Why give Miami more motivation for the next go-around? Makes no sense. Take the win, shut up, walk off the court, take a shower and head on down the street to Cosmopolitan, where hundreds of ovulating groupies are waiting to dance with you.

3. If Antoine wonders why the home fans hate him so much -- and they really, REALLY do -- he should watch a tape of himself some time. Everybody who left the Fleet Center that night came away thinking, "That guy's a punk... I can't believe I have to actually root for him."

THE DENVER GAME
Walker played better in this one (a 30-point blowout that was decided before the second half), but he started acting up in the third quarter -- bitching at referees, looking for his own shot, jogging back on defense and basically playing like the Y2K Sydney Wicks. When the home fans started yelling at him, he took exception and leaned over the press table to tell a fan menacingly, "You got a problem with me? I didn't think so."

Ironically, Walker singled out the wrong fan -- his antagonist was actually sitting three rows up in Section One (in my row), so when Antoine said, "You got a problem with me?" this guy started holding up his hand and screaming "I do! I do! I do!" High comedy. Now Walker was really enraged and glared at our row every time he ran by us at midcourt. Things finally came to a head when the outraged fan screamed "Get back on defense you bum!" while Antoine argued with the refs after another no-call; Walker responded by jogging by us saying "Bite me" three times while our section looked on in disbelief. (Note: He didn't say "Make me" like the Globe and Herald reported, he said "Bite me.")

Of course, it STILL wasn't over. Why? Because Antoine wouldn't let it go. After leaving the game in the fourth quarter, he was bitching animatedly to trainer Ed Lacerte and pointing angrily at our section, like a second-grader tattling on a classmate. Keep in mind, the game was still going on. He glared at our row for the next few minutes; finally, he stuffed a towel into his pants (to make himself look like Dirk Diggler). During the next timeout, he stepped back from the huddle, looked at his nemesis and grabbed the towel in his pants, as if he were clutching a mammoth set of genitals. And it wasn't just for a split-second... he did it for the whole timeout. I'm not making this up.

(Ladies and gentleman... the captain of the Celtics... #8... ANTOINE WALKER!)

Near the end of the game, the fan made his way over to a seat in front of the Celtics bench and made peace with Walker, who commented after the game that "We settled our differences." Whatever. Everyone who left that game last night came away thinking that Antoine Walker was a childish bum. Myself included.

***** ***** ***** ***** *****

So what should we do with this guy?

You may not believe it, but this might be the only time in the history of the BSG site where I don't have a definitive opinion either way. So let's get it all out in one felt swoop -- all the plusses and minuses of keeping Cyber Twan in Boston.

PLUS: He's only 23 years old and just nearing his prime.

MINUS: He's 23 years old going on 12.

PLUS: He's a former All-Star who once averaged over 20 points and ten rebounds in the same season.

MINUS: He put up those stats on a lousy team that let him shoot 20-25 times a game because they didn't have anybody else.

PLUS: His ballhandling gives this team flexibility that no other NBA team possesses other than Detroit (with Grant Hill); I don't know if you realize this, but the Celtics run their set offense through Antoine on the high post.

MINUS: Unfortunately, he's had trouble adjusting to the perimeter, the main reason why his numbers are down (the other reason being, of course, that he's not working hard on the boards anymore).

PLUS: Since the Celtics are obviously revolving this team around Paul Pierce, Antoine would make the ideal second banana -- on paper, anyway.

MINUS: Antoine still believes that he's the best player on the team and carries himself that way. He's sadly mistaken. If you think Antoine's the man on the Celtics, then you also think "Beverly Hills Cop" was a Judge Reinhold movie.

PLUS: On paper, he gives this team an enormous amount of flexibility because he can play small forward AND BIG forward.

MINUS: In reality, he's much better off at small forward because he doesn't rebound anymore and because he isn't big enough to guard bigger power forwards (like Antonio McDyesss last night). In fact, with Tony Battie's emergence and Danny Fortson's much-needed physical presence on the horizon, Antoine might find himself riding the pine in the fourth quarter for the first time in his career. And boy... won't THAT be interesting?

PLUS: His shot selection has been much better this season, especially with the way he's taking the ball to the basket instead of settling for lazy jumpers. (Translation: He's still missing shots, but at least they're good shots).

MINUS: For whatever reason, he's lost some of his scoring touch around the basket, mainly because he's playing below the rim and trying tough layups and high-arching shots (go to the damned rim, Twan!). He's just not as good of a scorer as he was two years ago. Again, it's inexplicable. He shot 43% his rookie season and he's shooting 40% this season.

PLUS: The Man (aka Larry Bird) tried to trade for Antoine this summer, which should tell you something.

PLUS: The Guru (aka my Dad) gave up on Antoine last season and can't stand watching him to the point that he schedules his frequent bathroom breaks at the Fleet Center around times when Walker's on the court. Nobody sees through frauds in sports faster than my Dad, which scares me. He's the same guy who gave up on the Chauncey Billups Era after the second home game in '97 ("He's not a point guard... he'll NEVER be a point guard") and he's the first person I know who went on the record against Pete Carroll ("Look at that guy! How is that guy our new head coach?"). When Dad has a gut feeling, it's usually dead-on. And he can't stand Employee #8.

PLUS: Antoine has handled the press much better this season, saying all the right things and seeming like the ultimate team player.

MINUS: Unfortunately, he hasn't acted that way on the court. If Pitino sits him down for too long during home games, he starts sulking and glaring at his boys in Section One with that "Can you believe this a**hole won't put me back in?" look. Again, it should be a barrel of laughs when Danny Fortson comes back.

PLUS: When Antoine is on, he is ON. Even when he's not playing well, he'll make a play that will bring you out of your seat -- like his coast-to-coast rush in the Miami game that ended with him arching a full-speed, going-right-to-left, falling out-of-bounds layup over Alonzo Mourning that had everyone reeling (no other power forward in the league could make that play from beginning to end).

MINUS: Antoine's not ON that much anymore. Here's a guy who scored 49 points in a game two years ago and grabbed more than 15 rebounds in a game many times over his first two seasons... and he hasn't cracked the 30-point barrier or the 11-rebound barrier this season, despite the fact that he's 4th in the league in shots-per-minute and he's playing 35 minutes a game at the 4-spot. Again, go figure.

Look at his career averages... where's the improvement, dammit???

Year   G   FG%  FT%  3P%  RB  AST   STL  TO   PTS
96-97  82 .425 .631 .327  9.0  3.2  1.3  2.8  17.5
97-98  82 .423 .645 .312 10.2  3.3  1.7  3.6  22.4
98-99  42 .412 .559 .369  8.5  3.1  1.5  2.8  18.7
99-00  17 .408 .693 .295  6.6  2.4  1.2  2.8  18.2
TOTALS -- .421 .628 .328  9.2  3.2  1.5  3.1  19.6
PLUS: Antoine gives this team its swagger -- he sticks up for his teammates, he trash-talks opponents, he's not afraid of anybody, and when he's playing well, you can almost see the team rallying around him. Pierce and Walker provide "the balls" for this team. It's a fact.

MINUS: Sometimes Walker goes a little too far, as we described in the Miami game. There's a difference between being emotional and being classless.

PLUS: Antoine's played fairly well at home this season despite the fact that Celtics fans bitch every time he misses a shot, even when the team is winning by 30 points.

MINUS (and this is the biggest one of all): As a whole, the Boston fans will NEVER like Antoine Walker. People just can't stand this guy. I go to all the games, I listen to the people in the crowd, I read all your e-mails... nobody likes this guy. It's gotten to the point where fans enjoy bitching about him when he stinks more than they enjoy supporting him when he's playing well. And if you think I'm over-exaggerating... attend a game some time and listen to the grumblings in the crowd that accompany every missed shot. The fans were so vicious last night that I thought Michael Holley was going to start crying.

Now throw this into the mix: Antoine just wants to be loved.

I really believe that. He might be the most sensitive Celtics player we've ever had. He hears every catcall. He always plays better when the crowd is fired up and urging the boys on. He takes every slight personally. He honestly believes that NBA referees conspire against him. When he's playing well, he gets so excited that he just can't help himself, so he starts prancing around and acting like a jerk. And that stuff doesn't work here. Remember, the most popular guy in town right now is Nomar Garciaparra.

And in many respects, Antoine Walker is like the anti-Nomar. Sad but true.

***** ***** ***** ***** *****

So what do we do?

Nobody wanted to give up on Antoine less than me, but the Celtics might have to deal him before the Fleet Center crowd ruins his confidence for good. Trust me... it's getting BAD at the Fleet for Employee #8.

Fortunately for us, the Celtics are in an enviable position, for three reasons:

1. Tony Battie is finally putting it all together, much like Marcus Camby did in the playoffs last spring. The Battman has been absoluty terrorizing opponents for the past few games -- he finally figured out how to use his athleticism and speed to his advantage and he's developing into a legitimate "10-point, 11-rebound, 3-blocks per game" guy. Quite simply, we've never had anyone like him before; he's everything we ever wanted Ed Pinckney to be.

2. With Griffin, Fortson and Eric Williams, the Celts possess a surprising amount of depth at the 3/4 spots. Once Fortson rounds into shape next month, Antoine could sprain an ankle and miss three weeks and I'm not sure this team would even miss a beat. Seriously. You want to talk about the Patrick Ewing Theory... just watch what happens if Antoine gets hurt in February or March.

3. Paul Pierce isn't just good, he's damned good. This is his team. Period.

So if you're scoring at home, the Celtics might be better off trading Walker for a more reliable forward who can provide defense and outside shooting at the 3/4 spot. I don't know about you, but I can almost hear Pitino saying "We hated to give him, but..."

Whatever. I say trade him. Now. Before it's too late. Get Toni Kukoc, get Mo Taylor, get Theo Ratliff, get Chicago's #1... just get SOMETHING before this thing spirals out of control. The Y2K Celts should revolve around Pierce, Battie, Griffin, Fortson, Anderson, Potapenko, and Player X -- a player who ideally should be able to make outside jumpers, handle the ball and even rebound a little bit.

You know, kinda like what Antoine does. Only he wouldn't be Antoine.

And if Employee #8 comes back to haunt us some day... well, so be it.

Of course, a week from now, I might feel completely different about this entire subject. That's the power of Antoine: Love him or hate him, at least he's interesting... whether he's going coast-to-coast for a gorgeous three-point play or telling a fan in Section One, "Bite me."

Maybe in time, I'd even miss him.

(Okay, I doubt it... but it made for a good ending, didn't it?)
Josh Ozersky