Re: Are Stars Necessary?

Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Gene  (not confident about tonight)
>
> By the way, if we stopped playing altogether we might make the
> playoffs.  Notice how we move up in the standings when we're idle?

The Celtics will do great tonight if we play the right matchups and hold
steady in the fourth period (which on the whole, we've been doing lately).
Hey, what's gotten into you, Gene? This doesn't sound like you talking!
:-)

If we can't beat Denver at home, this is going to be a really LONG month.

Look at the small forward position. Denver is a team whose key players are
James "pocket-full-of" Posey or Bryant Stith backing up the ancient George
McCloud (didn't he have a tv series back in the 70s??). But I guess a few
weeks ago you could have said the very same thing about us ("Adrian
Who?").

One key is for "El Busto" to play large in front of Dan Issel and for
Potapenko to maneuver his 50 pound weight advantage around to get Raef
LaFrentz in foul trouble (it should be a great war in the paint with
everyone motivated). Antoine also has a 25 pound advantage on McDyess, who
BTW so far hasn't been the monster player he was last year (17.9ppg 8.1
rpg 3.2 to's). For some reason, I don't think McDyess (or Raef) will see
the ball as much as they really need to tonight, what with Ron, Chauncey
and Van Exel somewhat anxious to put up 30 points and make headlines.

I doubt Mercer will do much else tonight other than score (how's that for
a bold prediction?), whereas both Pierce and Griffin can deliver a lot
more assists, rebounds and steals even if they don't can't score tonight
for whatever unknowable reason. I think that's a difference you'll notice
tonight between their guy and our guys.

Another key is that Kenny and Dana seal off "Nick the Dick", who
incidentally is shooting only .409 for the season.

It may take time for the Denver lineup to find chemistry and figure out
who gets to take all the shots now.

Hopefully the Celts can come out of the gate fast and build a solid
cushion, and our bench will play well above average for once (Eric and
Battie particularly).

Van Exel and Billups are the 4th quarter wildcards. They don't look good
on paper but we all know they are capable of having huge games at times.
Billups is a true clutch player. Even if he doesn't do much damage, he'll
make opposing 2-guards huff and puff all night with his slick dribbling
and solid defense (assuming Mercer gets significant small forward minutes
against Griffin). Billups could be one of the cheaper free agents this
Summer (very few 25mpg NBA guards are still shooting just .317 this deep
into the season) so I'd like to get a good look at him. He may have a
little Greg Anthony in him down the road. Like with Eric Williams, I'm
sure Chauncey feels he has something to prove to Pitino.

--------