On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest wrote:

> Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 16:19:55 EST
> From: Douglas342@aol.com
> Subject: Re: Larry Hughes
>
>     This whole thread ignores some realities.  First, none of us thinks that
> the Celtics are a whole lot more than a .500 team at this point.  Second, the
> media has us pumped into this "phenom" crap, so we think everyone who isn't
> an all-star by age 22 is a lost cause.  (some wise person said that making
> the all-star team was the worst thing that ever happened to walker.  I
> agree.)   Folks, Kobe isn't the rule, he's the exception.  Jordan had three
> or four fairly quiet years before he exploded, as did Malone.

Oops, bad example with Jordan.  He averaged over 37 points per game in his
third season, the most anyone had since Wilt Chamberlain.  His rookie
season was pretty strong too -- 28 points per game.  His one quiet
season was his second, and that was only 'cause he broke his foot.  Heck,
Karl Malone was over 20 ppg in year 2, and up to 27.7 ppg in year 3.

I can't think of many great players who bobbled around for three or four
years and then became steady stars.  There have been a lot of players
who turned in a strong season (most often the year their contract was
up) and then settled back into mediocrity.  Most real stars were on the
right track by year two.  Then again, players are coming out earlier than
ever, so maybe 'Toine can do it...

Dan