Re: Still Waiting...

>From: j.hironaka@unesco.org

>Welcome back, Jim.

Thanks, Joe, it's good to be back.  I have to say, though, that after
skimming through the digests that I missed, it was a good two weeks to be
away, despite your best efforts at keeping the discussions firmly on track.
How interesting is a discussion about Bob Cousy's relative merits as an
announcer?  Personally, I find him insightful and I even find his, and most
of the other local ex-jocks', lack of on-air dynamics refreshing. I do
sometimes tire of his constant niggling over matters of technique.  "Tommy,
I know Kenny just dwove in, made the basket and got fouled, but see how
Bwuce Bowen was wide open for an easy two."  First of all, there's no such
thing as an easy two, where Bruce Bowen is concerned.  Second, you sometimes
just want to enjoy a good play.  I would rather just hear one of his "Oh
Yes" calls at that point.

>Actually, the unbelieveable Gary Trent deal this weekend (2 years at 4.2
>million) is a hopeful sign that the market has calmed down a bit. I'm still
>amazed that Nellie successfully resigned him for less than Samaki or even
>our Cal Cheaney cost.....
>
>If Pitino and Wallace can bring either Fortson or Battie in at
>reasonable numbers, he should do so.

The problem is that certain players (those who are trying to get every cent
they can, regardless of anything else) will always point to the most
overpaid player at their position and demand to be paid at least as well on
merit.  I'm hopeful that neither Battie nor Fortson are that type of player,
although I have no evidence to justify that.  I agree that Pitino should
sign either, or both, of those players to contracts that would secure their
services, or allow them to be traded, as he chooses.  Everything he's done
until now, from Mills to Knight and DeClerq to Potapenko, suggest that's
exactly what he wants to do.  I have a feeling though, that if those players
were willing, it would have been done by now.

Of course, any Celtics related signings (or singings, Cal and Walter have
been known to croon!) will be reported here as soon as one of us gets wind
of it, and there is no need to solicit such information. That's the best
part of belonging to a list like this. And that information might come to us
by way of someone in Portland, Texas or even Australia, although (and I
don't think this makes me a racist) probably not Uganda.

Jim