Re: Terrell Brandon to sign for 60 million

Andy Shaw wrote:

> |   From: j.hironaka@unesco.org
> |   Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:00:49 +0200
> |
> |   The Timberpoodles reportedly will sign Terrell Brandon to a contract
> |   through his 36th birthday for 6 years at 60 million dollars. The 5-11
> |   point guard owns a career average of 13.1 ppg (13.9 ppg last year) and
> |   5.4 assists, and will be backed up (presumably for the next 6 years) by
> |   rookie William Avery.
> |
> |   According to ESPN, Brandon will become the fourth highest paid point
> |   guard in the NBA. I find this deal to be typically irresponsible of the
> |   T-poodles. I wonder what poor Kevin McHale is going to say at the press
> |   conference.
>
> I have to respectfully disagree -- Terrell Brandon is one of the most
> under-rated players in the league.  He has consistently played at a
> high level throughout his career, and he is not a distraction to his
> team like Iverson, Strickland, or Marbury are.
>
> Here's a list of the top 10 point guards, ranked by Tendex for the
> past four years.  In his rookie year (94-95) he played behind Mark
> Price in Cleveland, which is nothing to be ashamed of.
>
> Remember also that the the newest contracts are always the biggest, so
> the fact that he is the 4th highest paid point guard does not mean
> that he is valued as the 4th best point guard in the league.  If Gary
> Payton is paid less, that's because he signed his contract 4 or 5
> years ago.
>
> The only two point guards I would rather have than Brandon are Kidd
> and Payton.  Iverson, Marbury and Strickland are big headaches -- they
> think they can do it themselves, but that's not their job.  Other
> point guards are either too old (Stockton, Tim Hardaway, Mark Jackson)
> or are over-rated (Stoudamire, Cassell, Van Exel, etc.) or don't
> really have any talent (Darrell Armstrong, David Wesley, Avery
> Johnson).
>
> |   Derrick Anderson and Ron Mercer must be doing cartwheels.
>
> At this point, Derrick Anderson and Ron Mercer are not even in the
> same league as Terrell Brandon, and nothing indicates that they have
> shown the potential to get to that level.  Plus, shooting guards are
> much easier to find than point guards.
>
> -Andy
>
>               Point Guards (98-99)
>                MyTendex     (min 30 games)
>         Player             Team MyTend
>   1) kidd,jason            Pho   27.24
>   2) payton,gary           Sea   23.75
>   3) strickland,rod        Was   21.32
>   4) iverson,allen         Phi   20.84
>   5) marbury,stephon       njn   20.65
>   6) brandon,terrell       min   18.75  <-
>   7) armstrong,darrel      Orl   17.69
>   8) stockton,john         Uta   17.25
>   9) hardaway,tim          Mia   17.07
>  10) wesley,david          Cha   16.82
>
> 97-98
>         Player             Team MyTend
>   1) strickland,rod        Was   23.67
>   2) payton,gary           Sea   23.14
>   3) hardaway,tim          Mia   20.88
>   4) iverson,allen         Phi   20.85
>   5) kidd,jason            Pho   20.77
> [...]

Hi Andy:
I have to agree with you on the "underrated"  and "consistent" description, but
the Tendex does not really support the case for making Brandon the fourth
highest point guard salary in the NBA (what a killer agent he must have!). The
confounding thing is that when Brandon turns 35-years-old, he'll still be
locked up for 2 more seasons at presumably more than 10 million dollars a
year.  That's why I said "poor Kevin McHale."

The Timber-gerbils have two contracts taking up their entire 34 million salary
cap, so there's not much flexibility when the time comes to add a veteran to
their playoff run. I guess McHale shouldn't complain about working for a
generous billionaire owner, but it still makes his job untenable in many ways.
You have to credit McHale for recruiting Joe Smith, Wally Szczerbiak, Will
Avery etc. I hope it will be enough.

It's hard to believe McHale spent a lotto pick on Will Avery with the intention
that he'd be a backup for 6 more years. Avery could have used an additional 30
games of point guard training at Duke, but he has more true experience at the
position than most NBA point guard prospects and he's a lights out shooter and
top defender with nearly ideal size and quickness.

****