Wichita Eagle Profile of Adrian Griffin

             Bob Lutz
             Wichita Eagle

             Updated THURSDAY August 19, 1999

             Griffin will stand as tall as he can in the NBA
            He conquered the Continental Basketball Association. But can Adrian
            Griffin, who at 6-foot-5 and without great shooting skills is what
            basketball people refer to as a "tweener,'' play with the big boys?
            He's about to find out.
            Boston Celtics coach Rick Pitino thought enough of Griffin this
            summer to sign him to a one-year contract. It is guaranteed.
            But there is no guarantee that Griffin, the former Wichita East
            All-Stater who went on to Seton Hall, will make the Celtics out of
            training camp next month.
            "I'm excited about this, but I know that I still have to get on the
            court and put that uniform on before I feel it's complete,'' said
            Griffin, who spent several weeks in Wichita this summer visiting his
            family. "This is just another step. It's a big step, though.''
            Griffin played for Celtics entries in the Fila Summer Pro League and
            Shawn's Pro Summer League. He was impressive with both, averaging
            13.5 points in 13 games.
            Griffin has already put a lot of miles on his 25-year-old frame. He
            spent three years in the CBA, a stepping-stone league to the NBA
            that only a few players step through. He was the MVP of the league
            in 1998-99 with the Connecticut Pride, leading that team to the CBA
            championship.
            Griffin also has played professional ball in Italy and with the
            Atlantic City Seagulls of the United States Basketball League. He
            was the Player of the Year in the USBL last season, averaging 26.5
            points.
            Griffin can run, jump, score and rebound. But he's 6-5 and in
            basketball being 6-5 is like being a left-handed catcher.
            He has mostly been a small forward during his basketball career,
            able to compensate for his lack of size in college and in the minor
            leagues of professional basketball. But most small forwards in the
            NBA range from 6-7 to 6-10 and breathe fire.
            Griffin is an OK shooter, but three-point shooting has never been
            and probably never will be a strength.
            "I've improved a lot in many ways since college,'' Griffin said. "In
            the CBA, I was fortunate enough to get with a team and with coaches
            who worked with me on the aspects of playing guard, shooting and
            dribbling. Plus, I guarded smaller guys. I've tried to change my
            game more to a guard's style.''
            Still, Griffin is far from a prototypical shooting guard. And he's
            not big enough to bang inside consistently, although he has always
            had a knack for the ball, even against players with significantly
            more size.
            Griffin faced the same dilemma of being undersized at Seton Hall,
            and struggled there in his freshman season. But he eventually found
            his niche and became only the sixth Pirates player to score at least
            1,400 points and grab at least 800 rebounds during his career.
            After a year in the CBA, Griffin started to question whether he
            wanted to continue beating around the basketball bushes or get on
            with his life and get a real job.
            But the more he played, the more success he had. And the less those
            thoughts of quitting filled his head.
            "You play in the CBA and you make like $1,200 or $1,300 a week, but
            it's just for about six months,'' Griffin said. "If you have a
            family, like half the guys do, it gets a little tough.''
            Griffin and his wife, Audrey, have a 2-year-old daughter, Vanessa.
            "I used to question whether basketball was worth it,'' Griffin said.
            "I have my answer now.''
            He was signed to a contract by the Miami Heat last season, but the
            Heat cut him on the final day of training camp.
            Griffin thinks his chances are better with the Celtics.
            For one, Pitino likes to play an up-tempo, pressing style that suits
            Griffin's game.
            Also, the Celtics are in a rebuilding mode, having dealt away Ron
            Mercer and others during the off-season.
            "When a team like Boston signs you, it seems like they're really
            considering you as a member of the team,'' Griffin said. "They've
            already made me feel like that.''
            Griffin is aware of Boston's rich NBA tradition, and like every
            basketball fan he became emotionally involved during the 1980s, when
            the Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers tussled back and forth for
            NBA supremacy.
            There's no doubt who he was for, though. And it wasn't Boston.
            "I hated the Celtics,'' he said. "I didn't like Larry Bird. I was a
            Lakers fan during that rivalry.''
            That was then. Griffin will kiss the parquet floor at the
            FleetCenter if he makes the Celtics roster.
            "There's nothing written in stone, but I think I would fit in
            nice," he said.  "I just hope i get the chance."

             © The Wichita Eagle