Re: `Re: The Peril Of Too Many Large Contracts or More Trades On The Way

Way Of The Ray wrote:

> I firmly believe that one of the Battie-Fortson-Potapenko trio will have
> to be traded before the February deadline. I can't see the C's paying
> all three
> of them, yearly salaries in the $5 - $7 million range. So it's either
> move
> one of them or lose one of them. Included in a deal could be some combo
> of
> Kenny Anderson, Cheaney, the Denver pick, Barros, McCarty, Pervis, and a
> C's pick
> for an established star player making around $7 million and rapidly
> expiring cap
> crap. That way, the C's reduce their budget, but still maintain or
> increase the
> present talent level.

I wouldn't panic about the Celts trading any of their only three valuable big guys
before they explore every avenue to trade the higher-paid Eric Williams, whom Way
doesn't mention but whose minutes can be replaced more easily by either Adrian Griffin,
Walter McCarty or Cal Cheaney. I don't think there is a basis for the Celts to worry
about a financial shortfall next year over a full regular season. The salary cap does
NOT represent some sort of break even profitability line....IMO owners' set it
artificially low to balance out the effect of the Bird exception (or whatever it's
called these days). I think this whole debate is all made up in our heads. If we trade
one of our big men at midseason, it will only be because they are not playing well in
Pitino's system and thus won't be worth re-signing or losing at year's end.

Regarding the Denver draft pick, the Celts might want to sit tight and wait for one of
the rare center prospects heading our way in the next several years. According to TSN's
Brick Oettinger, the "prep classes of 2000, 2001 and 2002 all look to be quite strong
compared to the past couple of years." In particular, the 2001 class (I realise that's
a long way away) reportedly held their own at the Nike All-America Camp and features
"once-per-decade" center talent.

For example, Oettinger (who's really not prone to using exclamation points) writes that
Compton, CA's 7-2 Tyson Chandler is a "remarkably talented and athletic player who
looks like the next Kareem Abdul-Jabaar or Wilt Chamberlain!" and "6-11, 284 South
Holland (Ill) Thornwood junior center Eddy Curry is a beast in the paint who reminds us
of Shaquille O'Neil." Both players ranked behind fellow Junior 6-3 Dajuan Wagner from
Camden, NJ, who scored 50 points in a Nike All-America game and was described as
perhaps "the best prep point guard, including the seniors." Again, Oettinger by
temperament seems to understand the business well enough to not engage in too much
hyperbole. In fact, he pretty much trashed Jonathan Bender's game (or at least his
fitness to enter the NBA) last Spring. Anyway, some of the guys mentioned above
probably don't even have a driver's license yet.

The more typical 2000 class has no big centers but sounds deep at power forward with
kids named Eddie Griffin, Mario Austin, Zach Randolph, Alton Ford plus the 6-10
Bloomington, Indiana, combo forward Jared Jeffries, rated the #1 player at the Nike
camp and described as an unselfish player who scores from all over the court. There are
also plenty of impressive sounding wing and point guards.

I'm not saying the Celtics should draft ANY of these kids straight out of high school,
but rather that they should let that Denver pick age like a fine wine. Frankly, I don't
think the Celtics will even qualify to use the Denver pick next season (because I
believe Denver is a bottom 5 team under D'Antoni) and I don't see Denver improving
markedly with Issel at the helm. As I think Alex Wang said, I wouldn't be surprised if
Ron Mercer signs as an unrestricted FA with the Bulls next summer (unless the
HorriBulls show enough improvement this season behind Elton Brand to make Chicago an
even remotely attractive choice for FA's Grant Hill or Tim Duncan).

This is probably the most boring post any of you have ever read, but hey it's the dry
season.

Joe

p.s. AP reported that Don Nelson and Ross Perot's trip to woo center Zhi Zhi Wang to
Dallas has failed and that this kid will remain for at least another year with the Red
Army Banyi Rockets. Oh well.

p.p.s. There maybe something to be said for trading the Celts' own first rounder in a
package this summer (with Eric "Hans & Franz" Williams). Many GM's should regard this
as a likely lottery pick and compensate us accordingly. So if we make the playoffs,
great. If we don't, the team will get blown up anyway.

-------