Cofman: C's Deeper, More Talented, But Chemistry?

C's cozy up to buddy system<BR><EM>NBA Notes/by Mark Cofman</EM>
            Sport scoreboard

       SECTIONS
            HOME PAGE
            TODAY'S PAPER
            LOCAL NEWS
            NAT./ INTL. NEWS
            BUSINESS TODAY
            TECHNOLOGY TODAY
            SPORTS
            COLUMNISTS
            OPINION
            ENTERTAINMENT
            MOVIE REVIEWS
            LIFESTYLE/ TRENDS
            FOOD/ DINING
            HEALTH/ FITNESS
            TRAVEL
            PERS. FINANCE
            OBITUARIES
            SPECIAL REPORTS

            FEATURES
            INSIDE TRACK
            CARTOONS
            CROSSWORD
            FREE MAPS
            HOROSCOPE
            PERSONALS
            TV GUIDE
            TRAFFIC
            WEATHER

            CLASSIFIEDS
            jobfind.com
            carfind.com
            homefind.com
            other

            HELP
            HOME DELIVERY
            CONTACT US
            NEWS TIPS

               Find a ... Golf Sports event Sports store

               Select guide ... Main page Cars CompareNet Computers Electronics
              Gifts Real estate Services Travel Recreation

            1999 MLB ALL-STAR GAME

             CYBER SKIPPER

             BAD VIBES

             E-NEWS

             GOLFSERV

             ETOYS.COM

      C's cozy up to buddy system
      NBA Notes/by Mark Cofman
      Sunday, August 15, 1999
      On paper, the Celtics are an improved team as a result of their offseason
      deals. They've added versatility, depth and experience.
      But games aren't won on paper - particularly basketball games. Of all the
      major sports, basketball relies most heavily on familiarity and chemistry
      among its personnel. Which brings up a significant concern awaiting the
      Celtics at October training camp.
      On a roster expected to be somewhat stable this summer, there are six new
      faces (Danny Fortson, Eric Williams, Eric Washington, Calbert Cheaney,
      Adrian Griffin, Wayne Turner). All of the newcomers, with the exception of
      Washington, are expected to contribute.
      Rick Pitino, who set his sights on 1999-2000 as a breakthrough season, is
      under the gun to organize this revised nucleus in time for the regular
      season. Unlike last year's lockout disaster, he'll have a full training
      camp and preseason to mix and match the rotation. He's also had two
      summer-league entries to get the ball rolling.
      But it isn't until the regular season that coaches get a true handle on
      how and when their players function best. The Celtics, who in the words of
      their coach were inclined to ``deflate instead of inflate'' when adversity
      struck last season, simply can't afford to fall into an early season rut.
      So, while some teams might use a portion of the first-half schedule for
      experimentation, Pitino and the Celtics do not have that luxury. Not if
      intend to make the playoffs for the first time since 1995.
      Just passing through
      Of the 15 players who suited up for the Celtics at one time or another
      last season, seven are gone - Ron Mercer, Dwayne Schintzius, Popeye Jones,
      Damon Jones, Bruce Bowen, Marlon Garnett and Eric Riley. Meanwhile, Greg
      Minor is out for the season with a career-threatening hip injury.
      The position receiving the biggest facelift for the Celtics is off-guard.
      In effect, Mercer, Minor and Bowen have been replaced by Paul Pierce,
      Cheaney and Griffin. That's not a bad exchange.
      Pierce's ability to play off-guard, of course, made the Celtics' decision
      to deal Mercer to Denver possible. Pierce will slide into Mercer's
      starting backcourt slot alongside Kenny Anderson, with Antoine Walker
      penciled in as the small forward. Walker has played some of his best
      basketball at that position. His weight and level of conditioning hold the
      key.
      As for the Celtics' versatility and depth upgrade, consider that before
      the Denver deal they were vulnerable at the center and power forward
      slots. If either Vitaly Potapenko, Tony Battie or Walker had gone down
      with an injury, Pitino's alternatives were a trio (Pervis Ellison,
      Schintzius, Popeye Jones) that spent virtually all of last season in
      street clothes.
      As it stands now, the power forward/center rotation includes Potapenko,
      Fortson and Battie, with Walker and Walter McCarty available to log
      minutes at power forward if necessary. There is also the addition of Eric
      Williams, beginning his second tour with the Celtics. Williams, one of the
      more aggressive penetrating forwards in the league, gives the team an
      inside scoring presence it previously lacked off the bench.
      Meanwhile, the Celtics no longer have to rely on the healthy return of
      Ellison, a wise strategy considering the 6-foot-10 center has appeared in
      just 39 total games the past three seasons because of an assortment of
      injuries. Ellison, who had surgery on his right ankle last November, has
      been working out at HealthPoint in Waltham this summer.
      ``The moves we've made this summer make this team deeper and far more
      versatile than last year's team,'' said Pitino.
      Charles not in charge
      The Raptors might have closed the door on Charles Oakley's return when
      they re-signed 6-10 center Michael Stewart to a six-year, $24 million
      deal. Oakley, 35, highly instrumental in the youthful Raptors' surprising
      run at a playoff berth last season, was offered $6 million per year by
      Toronto, about $2 million below his asking price. The 6-9 power forward
      might end up with the Los Angeles Lakers, courtesy of the team's $2
      million exception.
      Stewart is the free agent who turned down an offer for more money from the
      Celtics last season to sign with Toronto. He is being paid for potential -
      not performance. Stewart averaged 1.5 points and 2.4 rebounds in 9.4
      minutes per game last season.
      Miller the real deal
      Cleveland signed first-round pick Andre Miller last week. The Cavaliers
      secured the former Utah star with the pick they acquired from the Celtics
      (No. 8 overall) in last season's Potapenko deal. Miller, a 6-2, 200-pound
      point guard, led the Utes in scoring, assists and steals last season. His
      contract is worth $5.4 million over the next three years with a club
      option for a fourth at $2.1 million.
      Former Celtics scout Rick Weitzman, currently working in the same capacity
      with the Cavaliers, believes Miller has the goods to be a future NBA
      standout: ``He takes it to the basket, defends, rebounds, runs the
      offense. Really, the only knock against him right now is his outside
      shooting. But I liken him to DJ (ex-Celtics star Dennis Johnson), who
      wasn't known as a great shooter but who made shots when they counted
      most.''

            Shop online
            • Visit the Mall
            • Today's Advertisers
            • eBay Auctions

            • Buy Tae-Bo!

       [ Home Page | Today's Paper | Local/Regional News | National/Intl. News |
      Business Today | Technology Today | Sports | Columnists | Opinion | Arts &
      Entertainment | Movie Reviews | Lifestyle/Trends | Food/Dining |
      Health/Fitness | Travel | Personal Finance | Obituaries | Special Reports
      | Inside Track | Cartoons | Crossword | Horoscope | Personals | TVGuide |
      Traffic | Weather | jobfind.com | carfind.com | homefind.com | other |
      Contact Us | News Tips ]