Dickey (ahem)

>Simpkins is a 6-10, 254-pound power forward who graduated from
Providence in
1994, so he may have done some time under Pitino.

Considering that Pitino was coaching the Knicks in the late 80s after leaving
Providence, Simpkins would have had to have been there for like 8 years.
Which, for many of our country's fine "student athletes," may not be a stretch.

>Dickey averaged 9.1 points, 6.8 rebounds and 29 minutes per game last
>season
>with the Bulls,

These are actually surprisingly decent numbers for a guy I have always
considered to be a lumbering stooge. He would fit the bill for the
end-of-the-bench power guy I keep whining about, and at 254 has the beef to
guard centers (though he's officially listed at 6'9 -- no matter).
Nevertheless, I don't know that he's worth trading Pervis for if we could
instead use Perv's cap relief ourselves at the end of the season. Could we
parcel that money with some other "pots" and try to make a run at a mid-level
free agent? Anybody know if it works like that?

Also, does anybody know just how many such "pots" we have? We still have the
$1 mil exception, and there's been talk of being able to use some (half?) of
Minor's salary if he's out for the year. Has that been finalized? That would
be, what, about $1 million? If I remember correctly from last year, when
Pervis was in that situation, that money can't be added to the exception.

Have a good weekend everybody.