Mercer and the Bulls

The recent trade of Brent Barry to Seattle for Hawkins and Cotton shows
that the Bulls have decided that the signing of Barry was a mistake.
The Bulls will probably let Hawkins play out his contract and try to get
under the cap for yet another summer in 2001.

In the meantime though, they'll probably add at least one big contract
next offseason and still have room for 2001. Everyone is talking about
their pursuit of Grant Hill or Tim Duncan and how futile that is. My guess
is that, barring those unlikely scenarios, Ron Mercer will be their primary
target. He's probably one of the few young guys who hasn't been locked up
with their team, and Jerry Krause was reportedly interested in him during
the 97 draft. Mercer is probably the best available talent from that draft
class. (I wouldn't worry about losing Fortson to Chicago even if we don't
extend him now, because they have Elton Brand).

I'm actually hoping that Mercer jumps ship because it'll probably ensure
that the pick we have from Denver will be more valuable.

Alex