Ryan: Pitino Has An Idea, Since You Can't Have A Plan; No More Babying of Antoine

Impossible to have a plan these days in the NBA - too many
intangibles is the gist of Ryan's column, but Pitino does have an
idea for next season: pass first and shoot second. And Antoine and
Kenny better get with the program.....

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Plain truth is a Pitino plan not possible

                                By Bob Ryan, Globe Columnist, 08/06/99

                                Ron Mercer went to Denver. Six
                                seconds later the moaning began.

                                ''Pitino has no plan!'' they shrieked.
                                ''All he does is react.''

                                Plan. That sounds good. The Marshall Plan.
                                Stalin's Five-Year Plan. The Slim-Fast
                                Plan. It always sounds so great, so
                                organized, so authoritative, so brilliant.
                                Life will be great if only you stick to
                                your plan.

                                ''Plan?'' inquires Rick Pitino. ''I had a
                                plan when I came out of Kentucky. My plan
                                was to get [Tim] Duncan or [Keith] Van
                                Horn. Now my plan is to get 10 good
                                players.''

                                A plan was possible in Ye Olden Days. Red
                                Auerbach never announced any plans, did
                                he? He had Bill Russell (getting him was
                                the entire plan). But Red had a plan, all
                                right. The plan was to keep Bill Russell
                                happy. Everything else took care of itself
                                because the players he got weren't going
                                anywhere if Red decided otherwise. There
                                was no free agency. There were no agents
                                whispering in players' ears.

                                Opponents were free to implement one,
                                three, or five-year plans, if they chose.
                                With full control of player movement,
                                management actually could build a team,
                                step by painstaking step.

                                It's a seller's market now. Good players
                                have the leverage. They go where they want
                                to go and leave when they want to leave,
                                sometimes in advance of a contract
                                expiration by making themselves a poison
                                pill who must be traded.

                                A good team cannot count on maintaining
                                any long-term plan, because recent NBA
                                history teaches us that there is an
                                inevitable squeaky wheel. Just being an
                                integral part of a very successful team is
                                no longer a primary goal. No matter what
                                they say, most players are far more
                                interested in getting the Big Score than
                                in getting The Ring. When an accomplished,
                                but ringless, player gets to be 30 or so,
                                he sometimes decides he'd like the
                                jewelry, usually because ''I've got all
                                the money I need.'' Even then, you don't
                                see too many guys go for really short
                                money.

                                It's a different talent pool, too. All
                                drafts aren't created equal, except in the
                                sense that the typical NBA draft these
                                days is overpopulated with immature kids
                                who really aren't ready to be
                                professionals in any sense, be it
                                technical or emotional. Anyway, people are
                                very upset that Pitino has now dealt away
                                both his 1997 No. 3 pick (Chauncey
                                Billups) and his 1997 No. 6 pick (Ron
                                Mercer). What kind of madness is this?

                                Pitino shrugs. ''When you look at the
                                draft this year,'' he says, ''would I be
                                surprised if any player in it is traded
                                when his time is up?''

                                The answer, of course, is no. It's a very
                                so-so draft, starting with the No. 1 pick
                                (Elton Brand, in case you've forgotten
                                already). There will be lots of movement
                                among these people over the next two or
                                three years, as GM after GM will say,
                                ''Hey, let's see if your guy looks better
                                in my uniform, and my guy looks better in
                                your uniform, because it certainly isn't
                                working out the way it is now.''

                                Looking back at the '97 draft, everyone
                                knew it was top-heavy. You had a 100
                                percent guarantee in Duncan and a 98
                                percent guarantee in Van Horn. The
                                drop-off after that was Niagara Falls.
                                Pitino, it turns out, made a mistake in
                                Billups at No. 3 and a very good decision
                                in Mercer at No. 6. Now Mercer and his
                                agent team have major delusions of
                                financial grandeur, and he is an ex-Celtic
                                as a result.

                                This just isn't the same NBA Pitino left
                                in 1989, and give the guy credit for
                                trying to adjust. Two years ago, he
                                couldn't understand why a team could no
                                longer average 116.7 points a game, the
                                way his '88-89 Knicks did. He knows now.
                                Two years ago, he decided that in order to
                                win a championship you needed three
                                All-Stars. We now have a champion with
                                just two, but the right kind of two.

                                ''I did think you needed three,'' he
                                admits. ''San Antonio proves you can do it
                                with two great ones surrounded by the
                                right people.''

                                Pitino may not have what you call a plan,
                                but he most certainly has an idea. He
                                knows how he wants to play next year.

                                ''We had too many guys who wanted to score
                                last year,'' he points out. ''We have
                                changed. People will have their roles.
                                Antoine [Walker] and Paul [Pierce] will
                                get shots. Vitaly [Potapenko] and Danny
                                [Fortson] want to kill people and get
                                rebounds. [Tony] Battie wants to block
                                shots.''

                                Now comes Calbert Cheaney. He is a
                                28-year-old midsized talent whose career
                                has slid continually backward after a
                                promising start. ''He turned down a
                                sign-and-trade for more money to come
                                here,'' beams Pitino. ''If we can get him
                                back where he was ...'' Having played for
                                Bob Knight, Cheaney should have no trouble
                                adjusting to the volume level at practice.

                                The two key players remain Walker and
                                Kenny Anderson, each a highly-flawed
                                diamond.

                                ''I've given Kenny an ultimatum,'' says
                                Pitino. ''I said, `You've got yourself a
                                track coach; now get yourself into the
                                best shape of your career. This has got to
                                be your bust-out year. Either that, or
                                you're going to be a bust, period.' We
                                know he has offensive talent, but there is
                                no reason he can't play better defense.
                                He's got the foot quickness and hand
                                speed.''

                                As for Antoine, Pitino sounds threatening.
                                ''If he comes in great shape and totally
                                changes what I feel needs to be changed,
                                great,'' Pitino coos. ''But there will be
                                no more babying. It's either [excrete] or
                                get off the pot. I will not hesitate
                                benching anyone who doesn't play with the
                                idea of pass first and shoot second and
                                who isn't willing to work.''

                                (This doesn't sound like something Antoine
                                wants to hear. Perhaps he should, how you
                                say, plan to be somewhere else next year.)

                                Anyway, does any of this constitute a
                                Capital P Plan? Nope. He's talking a team
                                for next season, not a concept for 2002.
                                You and I may disagree, but he thinks it's
                                a team that can compete in the Eastern
                                Conference in 1999-2000. Forget about a
                                Plan. The original Plan A is playing in
                                San Antonio. The original Plan B is
                                playing in New Jersey. Rick Pitino's Plan
                                C is waking up every day looking for
                                someone who might make you 1 percent
                                better than you were yesterday.

                                Bob Ryan is a Globe columnist.

                                This story ran on page E01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 08/06/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.