Re: Thoughts about the latest trade...

Alex Wang wrote:

> I've been thinking about the rule changes and I don't think they are going
> to hurt physical inside players like Potapenko and Fortson. The rules are
> going to call defensive post players for wrestling opposing players out of
> the post. In fact this usually penalizes weaker defenders who need to use
> this tactic against strong post players. Tough thugs like Potapenko and
> Fortson may end up being the only players who can legitimately defend these
> guys by using their lower body strength instead of grabbing. For instance,
> compare Potapenko with DeClercq. DeClercq simply didn't have the strength
> to stop big centers in a fundamentally sound manner and had to wrestle them
> in the post to keep them from dominating. Potapenko simply holds his ground.
> I think they will be hurt because more fouls are going to be called in
> general and they tend to be somewhat aggressive and foul prone and they will
> have to changed how they play, but at least they will have the physical tools
> to defend correctly. I think that weaker players who rely on grabbing are
> going to be hurt worse as they'll find that they'll be physically unable to
> defend under the new rules without fouling.
>
> The new rules are also going to hurt slower perimeter players who resort
> to grabbing to slow down their opponents from losing them on screens or cuts.
> So if Walker and Pierce are going to be at a quickness disadvantage as many
> fear, the new rules could exacerbate their defensive problems.

You beat me to it, Zhi Zhi. I repeated all the same things you wrote in a post
this morning.

Incidentally, there's one other thing I'm concerned about from reading this list
(which yikes I've skipped lunch all week to try to keep up with). What's all this
about a major fallout between Pitino and Walker? Some have suggested that every
time Walker pokes his head into the new Healthport Celtics facility the two end
up exchanging small arms fire in the hallways like in some sort of John Woo
action film.

Normally I'm paranoid, but I believe this is just wishful thinking from
Walker-haters (like the one about Pierce and Walker not playing well together).

For years Pitino has known that Walker is a major headache in the offseason and
that at his age he doesn't yet treat basketball conditioning as a 56-week
fulltime job. He also knows that Walker is a competitor who for the most part has
done the job for him once the season starts. Moreover, Pitino the coach still
looks at Antoine in practice and envisions a potential 16 points, 12 board and 6
assist guy (at least he did at the start of the summer). How does Pitino view
Jalen Rose as a starter (a career low .403FG% last year in 49 games)? How does he
treat Dale Davis' declining numbers (8.0 ppg) given the fact that he looks 45
years old in photos, even though he's still "only" 30?

Wallace has as much as admitted that Pitino pro-actively calls all 28 NBA teams
and makes speculative offers. These non-binding deals may at times get reported
in local newspaper, but that does not necessarily mean jack. These are the rumors
that get squashed like a bug by Pitino a day later. I used to not like the way
Pitino operates, but I'll admit it impressed me that he dug up that Denver deal
seemingly out of thin air. I was hoping Mercer was worth a proven 8 rpg player
even past his prime, not a young guy who registered 11.6 cwa's per game last year
(cwa="cans of....")

Who know, maybe Pitino won't tomorrow try to deny this particular "Endangered
Bird Rescue Plan" (aka "The Antoine Walker giveaway jamboree" to the Pacemakers).
Perhaps he just wants to send our young Skywalker a "see, I don't REALLY need
you" message. I'm telling you, those two just know each other way too well. It's
all psyche games and momentarily bruised feelings.

So it's fine to say "Pitino realizes he can't control Walker in the offseason!"
(Geez, where's my blood pressure medication?) but it is surely a major leap to
say "Pitino realizes he can't control Walker" period. It's clear from Pitino's
past pronouncements that he has never come close to coaching another player with
as complete a package of skills and game intensity. If there is a sudden dramatic
change in Pitino's opinion, I don't believe it will have arisen out of Walker's
offseason workout ethic this summer.

Joe

------