Mercer deal

I have felt from day one following the season that signing Battie was a much higher priority than trying to get Mercer in the fold with an extended contract.  How does Fortson's presence affect, if at all, the C's plans for Battie?  Since they gave up P. Jones in the trade as well, I would think that getting Battie signed is even more of a priority.

Rebounding wise, the C's should now be able to compete with any team in the league.  With shooting percentages down, and the recent efforts to increase the pace of the game, ball possession will be as important as ever.  You can't score, if you don't have the rock.  With a front line of Fortson, Potapeko, and Walker, the C's should be dominant off the boards.

This move should also help defensively.  With Walker at the 3 position, he won't be overmatched trying to check bigger, stronger power forwards.

A starting lineup of Anderson, Pierce, Potapeko, Walker and Fortson is one I can live with.  If we can sign Battie to a reasonable long term deal, the C's may have a contender for 6th man of the year.  Althought the C's lost an excellent (or soon to be excellent) offesive force in Mercer, I'm hoping that ball movement will be a bit better now with one less gunner in the lineup.

If I were Pitino, I would call up Walker and Pierce and tell them that neither of them will be going anywhere for a long time and that they should really start focusing on how they can each make the other a better player.

Todd