The Dream Backcourt ...

sigh ... I remember the twinge I felt when we traded Chauncey Billups, even
though at the time I was excited by Kenny and Popeye (and still think Kenny
can be a better PG in this system). Now today I booted up my computer and
literally felt my heart leap.

Still, I have to say I like this deal in a lot of ways. If you have to blow up
the roster, this seems like a decent way to go about it. Consider: the team's
biggest needs this offseason were for a rebounding PF and a veteran, scoring
swingman off the bench. This trade rids us of the laughable Schintzius, keeps
us from having to worry about whether Popeye can come back and gives us that
bench scorer in Williams (provided he isn't traded, which wouldn't surprise me
at all). It also gives us insurance at the 2 (Eric Washington) in case Pierce
and Griffin struggle and Minor can't make it back; and, it adds a likely high
pick, which should please Josh Ozersky.

What I don't like about this trade (besides losing a guy who I adamantly
believe has All-Star potential) is -- as Ray pointed out -- how do you divvy
up the PF minutes between Fortson and Battie? Who starts? Both of them are
going to demand starter's money. Pitino may try to play Battie at center much
of the time, but that would give us a pretty small frontline as well as
eliminating the Potapenko/Battie tandem that proved effective last year.

Also, none of the guys we added are grizzled veterans a la Oakley, Willis,
George Lynch or Tyrone Hill, guys who helped the Craptors and Sixers greatly
improve last year. Rick might still try to get one of those guys (Mark
Bryant?) via the exception, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him woo
Smackyboy. That would certainly add to the Celtics' beef, although not its
height or its playoff experience.

Hopefully this will solidify the roster and settle things down. Fortson IMO
obviates the need for Vin Baker, so Walker should be staying put. I still
believe Pitino wants to build his team around Walker and Pierce.

We have to hope Fortson will sign an extension for reasonable dollars and be
able to keep up his rebounding pace from last year. We also have to hope
Pierce and Walker adjust to their new positions and that Antoine especially
doesn't see this as an invitation to start jacking up threes.

Williams' numbers from last year:
38 g, 20 mpg, 36% fg (!), 80% ft, 23% 3pt, 7.3 ppg, 2 rpg, 1 apg, .7 spg, 1.3
to/g, .2 bpg, 2 pf/g

(BTW, these are almost identical numbers to Walluh McDulluh. I wonder where he
plays now -- backup PF?)

Washington's career numbers (2 years):
104 g, 22 mpg, 40% fg (!), 76% ft, 34% 3pt, 7 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1 apg, .8 spg., 1
to/g, .4 bpg, 2.2 pf/g

Not the stuff dreams are made of, but it compares very favorably to Minor's
career numbers. Minor shoots for a higher percentage from the floor but
Washington is a better (though not necessarily good) three point shooter, and
their numbers in all other categories are nearly identical. Rick also knows
Washington from his SEC days, since he played at Alabama.

He's 6'4, 190 and 25 years old.