Re: Pistons Overhaul Celts: Detroit 92- Boston 85

Well I think games against teams like the Pistons illustrate that the
Celtics roster nucleus should stabilize, not be drastically scrambled
again by Slick Willy Rick. I know that I've also pooh-poohed Ron "the
Saint" Mercer on this list (mainly out of frustration with Antoine's
idiotic treatment by fans and media), and I guess it is still unclear if
Mercer's really the "great mid-range shooter" we all loudly claim & hope
he is (because his only other obvious NBA skill is his free-throw
shooting) .

But I just happen to like Mercer as a player and a Celtic. He was a clutch
scorer in the NCAA tournaments (better than Antoine) and he has leadership
charisma like Nomar Garciaparra. Plus I've always felt that a big dunk
from a wing player in a tight game can actually be a momentum changer
because it lifts fans and the player to a higher level of fun and
aggressiveness. Remember some of the "show time" era runs by the LA
Fakers? It was scary.

As for the other main trade bait (KA), we can give up hope of unloading
his 8 million-a-year long-term deal. I think Pitino perfectly realizes
this judging by his recent comments. How are we going to get an equal or
better statistical contributer in return, unless the other team is truly
dumb or desperate (the Clips)? We may need to get used to the idea that KA
might be around to groom a young replacement over the next few years, and
after that probably come off the bench as an overpriced veteran during our
next championship run. Tough luck but that's better than nothing. It would
even be nice to have both Kenny and maybe Ron or Paul coming off the bench
and finishing games.

Anyway, the most crushing thing about this season for me is the number of
games where we we've given up significant leads in the fourth quarter to
veteran teams. If the Celtics stick together as a unit (instead of getting
scrambled this summer), then I think they will soon enough have the
teamwork and timing to negate any advantage veteran teams have. I hope
Pitino has the self-confidence not to bend to public expectations for a
big trade by swapping away the likes of a Mercer, Battie or Pierce (the
only way we'll get any comparable talent in return for Anderson is through
a package deal involving one of our younger "assets").

I've never thought any of us were guilty of wearing rose-glasses when
evaluating Celtics talent. Our kids are actually pretty talented and they
are developing at a perfectly appropriate (or in some cases dramatic) rate
for their age and experience. Many of them project as NBA stars over five
to ten seasons sometime reasonably soon down the road. Even our two
biggest question marks, center forward Tony Battie and guard Ron Mercer,
may be among the five best prospects to come out of the weak 1997 lottery
class (#1 Duncan, #2 Van Horn, #10 Fortson, #13Derek Anderson). The Celts
could have done a lot worse than those two guys.

Sorry for a long post.

Go Celts!  Beat the Heat! Wipe away the grease stain !

--------