Change is not Good!!

Gil Moreno wrote:

"First and foremost let me say that I really love Ron Mercer.  Not only
do I love the way he plays, I also like his attitude and the way he is
honing his game: Slowly but Surely.  He wants to master the
fundamentals (medium-range jumpers) before trying out new things
(three-point shots).  I also love the fact that he wants to be a
Celtic.
But let's face it.  If the team really wants to improve in the near
future changes must be made.  I agree with most guys on the list that
the team has to get veterans.

Me:
I disagree rather strongly with the sentiment that this team needs to
make changes.  The C's have done nothing but undergo change during the
last 5 years each and every season.  What this team needs is stability,
and time to develop team chemistry.

Gil:
And right now it is Mercer who has the
most "value".  If we want to get a productive player we have to give
one up also.  Being one of the valuable players with an expiring
contract (plus the fact he isn't handled by RP compadre David Falk
anymore)makes him the odd man out, the expendable one.

Me:
Mercer is definitely not expendable.  Of all the players on the team,
Mercer may very well best understand what RP wants done within this
system.  RM runs the floor extremely well, along with Paul Pierce, he
may be the team's best defender and his offensive games speaks for
itself.

Gil:
And speaking of veteran players,  I hope the Celtics consider Tyrone
Hill.  OK, OK, before you guys lambast me, try to take into
consideration the following points:

Me:
I will not contest that Tyrone is a decent player, however, he is a
power forward, and this team already is already set at that position.

Gil:
Popeye Jones, Greg Minor, Ron Mercer
             for
Tyrone Hill, Aaron Mckie, Future first-round lottery pick

Hill is a more flexible player than Popeye because he can play the
4 & 5 positions and he is definitely a better shot blocker.  Mckie is
an upgraded version of Minor in the sense that he has a better outside
shot, a better/tougher defender, a better rebounder, and has a wider
range of offensive moves.  Adding Mercer to the mix is the insurance
policy here.  Philly may feel that they are getting the shorter end of
the stick if we just trade Jones and Minor straight-up.  Since they
won't be getting a lottery pick this year they would be ecstatic to
get a player like Mercer.

Me:
First off, the 76ers would never go for this trade.  They are playing
very good ball right now, and if they don't do much in the playoffs this
year, another year together with their current squad should provide the
necessary experience and chemistry to help that team continue to
develop.  Additionally, I don't care how the 76ers use Hill, he is too
small to be an effective 5 man.  I just don't see where he could get any
significant minutes with Walker, Battie, and McCarty on the current
roster.

Gil:
Another trade I would pull off is Terrel Brandon for Kenny Anderson.
This would be the sign and trade variety since Brandon is going to be
a free agent at the end of the season.  I would rather pay Brandon 5M
a year than Anderson.  Besides, Brandon excelled under a defensive
minded coach (Mike Fratello) back in Cleveland.

Me:
I like this trade.  I've always like Brandon, but I'm concerned about
picking up a PG who comes from a team that does their best the grind the
game to an absolute stand still.  I think there would be a significant
adjustment period for Brandon should he ever become a point guard on a
Rick Pitino coached team.

You:
With all this done, the starting line-up would look like this:
           Terrel Brandon   -  PG
           Paul Pierce      -  SG
           Antoine Walker   -  SF
           Tyrone Hill      -  PF
           Vitaly Potapenko -  C

This does look like a good squad, but I'll remind you that this team is
just beginning to develop a feel for each other.  Their team chemistry
is beginning to come together.  With your lineup, not only have you
introduced two new players, you've moved Pierce and Walker to new
positions.  The C's haven't really had a problem with rebounding this
year.  Sure, every now and then is seems like they get killed on the
boards, but that happens to every team.  The C's main problem has been
shot selection, and over the last few games that has improved.  Moving
Walker to the SF position would encourage him to work his offensive on
the perimeter when he should be planting himself on the box, or going
one on one against slower 4 men.

Gil:
The reserves would be:
           Tony Battie      -  F/C
           Walter Mcarty    -  F
           Aaron Mckie      -  SM
           Bruce Bowen      -  SM
           Dana Barros      -  PG

Me:
Bruce Bowen will not be on the C's next year.  Another reason why I
don't like your trade with the 76ers is giving away Minor.  His defense
is solid, and he has been very consistent off the bench.  This guy can
provide 10 pts a game off the bench in RP system.  The C's shouldn't
give that away.

I think your trade ideas are interesting, but I seriously do not see how
it would be a significant improvement over the current squad.  Everyone
needs to realize that making a run at the championship takes years, not
months.  The C's have undergone so many changes in personnel that they
have not had a chance to gel as a team.  I think the C's will get rid of
some of the dead weight before next season (Bowen, Schintzius) and
moving Anderson could be a good idea, but any more than that, and it
will take the C's another 50 games to re-develop team chemistry.
Remember, it's not only a matter of who is player, it's also a matter of
how they play together.  Scottie Pippen is a great player, but it has
taken him nearly the entire season to realize his role in the Houston
lineup.  Why are teams like Miami, Indy, Utah, and Portand high in the
standings?  They have good players, playing well together.  The C's are
just as talented as any of those teams, it will just be a matter of time
before the C's players are all on the same page.  As for experience.  In
another two years, the C's will be loaded with veterans:  Walker (5th
year), Pierce (3rd year), Mercer (4th), Battie (4th), Anderson (10th?),
Jones (7th?), Ellison (11th?), Potapako (4th?).  With experience comes
beneficial calls which is another area the C's have been getting royally
screwed on.

Take care,
Todd