Peter May On The Celtics Continued Interest In Rodney Rogers; Shopping Ron Mercer; Toronto; Portsmouth Pre-Draft Tournament

Some great stuff from Peter May - Goodbye Ron Mercer, hello Rodney
Rogers...

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                PRO BASKETBALL NOTES
                                Rapture for Raptors

                                Toronto joyful about making strides - and
                                winning games

                                By Peter May, Globe Correspondent,
                                04/04/99

                                The loss on
                                Opening Night
                                was seen as an upset.
                                The loss a month later
                                was, well, merely
                                surprising. In both
                                cases, the Celtics were
                                favored to beat Toronto
                                and didn't do it. They
                                were manhandled,
                                brutalized,
                                overpowered.

                                They'll be underdogs the next time.

                                Yes, your Toronto Raptors are raising
                                eyebrows and making strides, not to
                                mention winning games. They see the
                                Celtics Thursday night in Air Canada
                                Centre, where, entering the weekend, they
                                were 9-2 and in strong contention for a
                                playoff berth, unlike You Know Who. When
                                Rick Pitino says the Celtics are no
                                different from an expansion team, the
                                folks up north get upset. No one in
                                Toronto is making promises about next
                                year. They're getting it done now.

                                You look at the Raptors and you see a nice
                                mix of young and old as well as someone
                                who should warrant a spot on an MVP
                                ballot: Charles Oakley. Along with Kevin
                                Willis, and sky-walking rookie Vince
                                Carter, the Oak Man is responsible for
                                turning around this recently moribund
                                franchise. He has done the gray eminence
                                thing to a tee for the Raptors. (If you
                                think this is overstated, the phone number
                                for the Knicks is 212-465-6471.)

                                ''I don't think people outside the sport
                                realize how big a thing it is to have a
                                veteran guy like Charles,'' said Dee
                                Brown, one of many ex-Celtics who does not
                                miss playing in Boston. ''It's big. I
                                remember when I was young and the older
                                guys held the team together while the
                                young guys played well one night or
                                another. That's what Oak does. You can't
                                find guys like that, who do the thing he
                                does. Maybe that crazy guy in LA [Dennis
                                Rodman] or Jayson Williams. It's like a
                                nose guard in football. You can't find
                                guys like that. They don't come around
                                anymore.''

                                Yes, and they also have Carter, who has
                                displaced Paul Pierce as the presumptive
                                Rookie of the Year. He's already got his
                                own jam section on the Raptors' web site
                                and, according to Brown, is an absolute
                                delight off the court as well.

                                ''Vince has to be the most humble guy I've
                                ever met, the exact opposite of Antoine
                                [Walker],'' Brown said. ''He's having fun.
                                It's just so refreshing to see someone
                                still get excited. I remember when I used
                                to be like that.''

                                Brown has fit in nicely coming off the
                                bench. Last week, he erupted for a
                                franchise-record eight 3-pointers. (He
                                also holds the Boston record with eight.)
                                He's now closer in age and wisdom to
                                Oakley than to Carter; this is his ninth
                                season in the league.

                                ''What's so nice here is that we are
                                creating history,'' he said. ''This team
                                has never even made the playoffs. It's
                                great to be in that position instead of
                                hearing `Havlicek Stole the Ball' all the
                                time. And they want me here. That's big.
                                It's the first time since my first years
                                in the league that individuals don't care
                                about their numbers as long as we win.''

                                Heading into the weekend, Toronto had the
                                eighth-best record in the East. Who would
                                have thought that after what we saw last
                                year and after the two exhibitions? But
                                they're for real. They've won in San
                                Antonio and at home against the Pacers.
                                When it was mentioned to team personnel
                                chief Bob Zuffelato that he had himself a
                                nice rookie, Zuffelato didn't hesitate.

                                ''I like our rookie,'' he said. ''I also
                                like our team.''

                                Rogers a target

                                The proposed deal that would have sent
                                Tony Battie and Bruce Bowen to the
                                Clippers for Rodney Rogers was the real
                                thing. Both teams signed off on it. Then
                                the league stepped in and said ''whoa.''
                                The problem was that Battie could not be
                                traded with someone because he had been
                                traded within the previous two months. He
                                could have been traded even up for
                                someone, or for two players, but not with
                                someone. No one caught that technicality
                                and so the deal died. What has not died is
                                Pitino's interest in Rogers, who will be a
                                free agent this summer and has been on
                                Boston's wish list for some time. Pitino
                                has targeted a half-dozen players he
                                believes, for one reason or another, have
                                not played to expectations. Rogers, who is
                                finishing his fourth year with the
                                Clippers, is one of those lads. Plus, he
                                can score. But he's also had weight
                                problems - he was 40 pounds overweight
                                when he reported this year - and there
                                will be the ongoing question of how much a
                                veteran wants to play Pitino Ball. Plus,
                                the best the Celtics can offer is $2
                                million, unless they work a sign-and-trade
                                with LA. Before agreeing to the
                                Bowen/Battie package, sources said, the
                                Celtics wanted to make it an even swap for
                                Dana Barros, but the Clippers rejected
                                that ... While we're on the subject, it's
                                no secret that Ron Mercer's name was heard
                                in war rooms around the league before the
                                trade deadline. Depending on whom you talk
                                to, the Celtics were doing the calling
                                (most teams) or were getting the calls
                                (Boston's version). What did Mercer think?
                                ''I have no control over that,'' he said.
                                ''There are two ways of looking at it.
                                Either one team doesn't want you or a lot
                                of other teams do. I took it as a positive
                                - that a lot of teams wanted me, not that
                                the Celtics didn't want me.'' The Celtics
                                plan to offer Mercer what Pitino called
                                ''a very substantial package'' as soon as
                                they are able. What does Mercer think?
                                ''It's a business now,'' he said. ''I
                                understand that I can be traded. But at
                                the same time, I can also make a decision
                                to play where I want to play. I can't be
                                upset at them for trading me and they
                                can't be upset if I want to play somewhere
                                else.''

                                Pervis sighting

                                This just in from Bill Strickland, the
                                inimitable agent for Pervis Ellison:
                                ''Pervis is alive and well - just like
                                Elvis.'' Given that Ellison still isn't
                                jogging, Strickland said, ''I think this
                                season is well beyond his reach. I've told
                                him to get as healthy and as strong as he
                                can and come back and help the team next
                                year. Hopefully, he could play another
                                three or four years.'' Strickland said he
                                actually could find work for Ellison - and
                                hinted that the places of employment were
                                not Yakima, Sioux City, or Rockford ...
                               <snip>

                                Few fringe benefits

                                Celtics general manager Chris Wallace just
                                returned from the Portsmouth Tournament
                                for fringe players and was unimpressed.
                                ''It's probably as weak a field as I've
                                seen, and I've been to eight or nine,''
                                Wallace said. OK, OK. We get the drift.
                                But what about the gossip? Well, Wallace
                                says the skinny is that Baron Davis of
                                UCLA, Ron Artest of St. John's, UConn's
                                Richard Hamilton, possibly Elton Brand and
                                William Avery of Duke, and up to three
                                high schoolers will declare themselves
                                eligible for the draft. As for UConn's
                                Khalid El-Amin, Wallace said, ''He doesn't
                                pass the look test, but he makes plays.''
                                The top high school prospect is
                                6-foot-11-inch Jonathan Bender of
                                Picayune, La., who has committed to
                                Mississippi State but may decide to go
                                right to the NBA, where he could be a
                                lottery pick ... Then there's the strange
                                case of Bruno Sundov. He's the 7-2
                                Croatian who may be the first individual
                                ever to be drafted (Dallas, second round,
                                1998) and instead choose prep school (the
                                Winchendon School). Then he played in the
                                high school stud game during Final Four
                                weekend in St. Petersburg and came out of
                                it with a two-year contract from the
                                Mavericks. Talk about a guy getting the
                                most out of spring break. <snip>

                                This story ran on page D06 of the Boston
                                Globe on 04/04/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.

                                [ Send this story to a friend | Easy-print
                                      version | Add to Daily User ]