No Subject

Hey Warwick -- I'll bite on this one. The one true advantage I see here for the Celts is that it gets rid of Trav's 6 year contract; I dont see Cheaney or Williams (who already has pulled one tour of duty for us) as being any kind of long term solution. What might be even better: the deal also would free us from Minor, who doesnt roll off our cap until 2001. (I'm assuming you've checked that the salaries match up.) I personally like Cal C., but with Mercer & Pierce & McCarty I don't see a big need for him, and PT could be hard to come by. He might have more trade value than Minor if we decided to flip him. On the other hand, people might argue that we could get more than this in a trade for Trav & Minor; I think that's an open question. (By the way, big guy, it's Bob *Knight* at Indiana; Bob Hill did coach for a spell in the Hoosier state, but that was with the NBA Pacers. I'll forgive you because I of course couldnt name even one basketball coach in Australia. The only similarity in style between Knight and RP is that they're both control freaks.)

[Warwick Janetzki wrote]

Hey all,

Trade idea between the Celts and the Wizards..

Boston gets

Calbert Cheaney - a swingman who is in the last year of his contract who
hasn't lived up to his potential since entering the NBA in 93'94". He
played at Indiana under Bob Hill(?) and could really bloom under a
similar coaching system (in that I mean one based on discipline).
Becomes a free agent after the season.

Lorenzo Williams - a quality backup player when he is fit. Has a long
term contract at a raltively low cost.

Washington gets

Travis Knight - A talented big man who could really play well for the
Wizards. His long term high cost contract wouldn't mean so much to a
team so over the cap as the Wizards (whom have to re-sign Rod Strickland
this season and Mitch Richmond next).

Greg Minor - a talented albeit malcontent swingman who could bloom for
the Wizards. Long term contract, for a over the cap team (read above).

Why teams would do it.

Boston

Would like to take a gamble on a swingman as that is a position that the
team would like to consolidate with 4 quality players (Mercer, Pierce,
Bowen, Cheaney) and get a center who could be a backup. Would have to
sign Matt Geiger (or an equal quality center) for this trade to be
considered.

Washington

Cheaney is a free agent at the end of the year and with much of the
off-season already having to be spent re-negotiating a new deal with
Richmond, Cheaney would likely bolt. Lorenzo Williams is less talented
than Travis Knight and is expendable.

Comments?