re:Mercer and Walker

While I think we're making too much of free throw shooting here, I
dispute these "game winning" free throws.  The way I remember most of
these close games going down is that someone, often Walker, would have a
chance to ice the game and would miss one of two.  The other team would
go down with a chance to win the game, but miss or hit one of two
themselves.  The next day NBA.com reports that whoever took those last
free throws for the Cs hit the "game winner".  That person could easily
have been the goat.

Ask yourself this.  Celtics down by one, no time on the clock.  Who do
you want on the line?  Mercer or Walker?  Well, it's Mercer, hands down.
But, as someone pointed out, Barros would be even better.  That does not
make him a better player than the other two, or even a better clutch
player?  Let's face it, right now free throw shooting and mid-range
jumpers are about the only areas where Mercer is better than Walker.

Overall I felt that Antoine was a fine clutch player last year, and I
hope that will improve.  The big thing he has going for him is
versatility.  He will go outside or inside, post-up or face the basket.
That's where he has an advantage over defenses.  They don't know what's
coming.  With Mercer you can be pretty sure he's going to run off a pick
and pop an 18 footer.  I won't downplay his consistency, it's very
valuable throughout a season.  But, with the game riding on a single
play, you need a whole bag of tricks.  Unless you're Reggie Miller and
your one trick is dropping threes from five feet behind the arc.  That's
pretty tough to defend, even if you know it's coming.

Jim