Re: The Boston Celtics Mailing List Dige

I really like this idea.  If the NBA had CBA "farm teams" players could
be drafted very early and go to the CBA for development.  If the player
wanted to persue a degree, he should be given that option, with the
drafting team retaining his rights for a specific period (5 years?) to
allow him to get the degree, and play for his college.  I think this
would end a lot of the hypocrisy that exists in the current system.  It
would also be a more gradual entrance into the rigours and riches of
professional sports, which must be good for the players and would
further allow marginal players a better chance to make a living.

Originally the idea of athletes going to college in essence to study
basketball appealed to me.  At least it is being honest about why the
player is there.  Since the program would generate a lot of revenue for
the school, I don't think the athletes' use of funds is the issue.  The
real problem would be that these programs would be unlikely to get
accredited as degree programs.  Then you would have to decide if there
are requirements of certain numbers of degree students on the team to
make competition between colleges fair.

In the end, I think the way to go is to split the load between a minor
league system and a college system, which only accepts true students.
Players could even work towards their degrees in the summer if they
chose to go the minor league route.  I don't suppose any of this will
ever happen, though because there is too much money in the college game.

Jim

PS, I'm glad I got this in before the complaints about lack of Celtic
content started.

>From: Shawn Roth <ufpdev!shawnr@uunet.uu.net>
>To: celtics@igtc.com
>Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:00:25 -0500 (EDT)
>
>I would prefer that a person go to college with the intent to get a
degree
>first and play a sport second.  I realize this is far fleged, but I can
dream.
>A minor league system (i.e. baseball) should be put in place to give
people a
>chance to skip college if they don't want to apply themselves in the
academic
>areas.  This secondary basketball league that is starting up soon is a
great
>idea.  The CBA teams should associate themselves with NBA teams in
order to
>create a minor league system that would help fringe players and future
NBA