Re: Capulations, diatribe

At 08:18 AM 9/2/98 -0700, "Greg Odegaard" <gmodegaa@longvred.rmc.com> wrote:
>AW will make 2.2MM m/l next season.  This has been reported many times on
>this list, including Warwick back in the fall.  I think 1.2MM was a typo.
>
>Dino will be on our cap this season, as was reported numerous times a year
>ago.  Kim I will search the net to support this, but many many posts have
>noted this time and again, including Pat Bender.  If you have any evidence
>to the contrary I am sure all of us would be excited to see and prove this
>premise wrong.  Dino's coin stays with at least this year and in a couple
>of posts last summer, it showed staying through 2000.

Sorry, but number of posts is hardly a valid decider. Everyone can make
mistakes -as shown by the above correction of the excellent Pat Bender. And
in the bit posted on the subject from her (along with many of the past
postings on the subject), it only mentioned his being released, which would
of course still leave his salary on the cap. That was the point I was making
-he wasn't just released, the contract was bought out, making it null and
void. No longer in effect, with not number of years for it to carry over.
I've posted before on the subject as addressed in Tony Minkoff's salary cap
(to which Pat Bender is listed as a contributor) and hearing it said on
interviews with Chris Wallace and Pitino -that was the primary reason for
the buyout, as they explained -to create cap room. Since there was minimal
dollar savings, there would have been no real reason to go through with it,
requiring a large payment now rather than spread over the life of the
contract, otherwise. And since the buyout means that Dino is no longer under
contract with the Cs, but *WAS* at the beginning of the year of the buyout,
having it only count against the cap during that first year is the only
logical outcome. You can't have a player not under contract on your cap
-under contract being different from on the roster. You or whomever it was
at the time didn't accept those as definitive sources. Which is fine, but
they're certainly no less definitive than list postings, I've yet to find
the FAQ wrong on any other point, and it makes sense. Which buying out a
contract without cap relief and without significant cost savings, does not.
The only truly definitive source is the NBA CBA, which is not available.

<snip>
>It is my 10th anniversay tomorrow, so I will be gone for about a week, like
>anyone really gives a damn.

Happy Anniversary, Greg

-Kim
Kim Malo