NY Times: Players May Boycott NBC

          October 30, 1998

          NBC May Face Boycott by Players After Lockout Ends

          By MIKE WISE

              hen a reporter from the NBC affiliate in Las Vegas
              asked Chuck Person if he could have a few minutes
          last week, the San Antonio Spurs forward shook his head
          and declined. Several other National Basketball
          Association players soon followed his lead. Walking
          away they muttered, "We're not going to do NBC."

          On the surface, saying no to one of the broadcast
          outlets that has helped line the coffers of the NBA for
          the past decade -- a network that has helped make the
          players incredibly famous and wealthy -- did not seem
          like prudent business. But in what can be construed as
          either sincere animosity or merely a labor bargaining
          ploy, dozens of the league's players have said they are
          weighing the possibility of a network boycott.

          Labeling NBC and the Turner Sports cable network as
          "co-conspirators" in the current lockout, the union
          equates the approximately $475 million in guaranteed
          television rights fees that will be paid to the NBA
          this season -- regardless of whether games are played
          -- as giving the owners more clout in their economic
          fight with the players. It has elicited talk from the
          players of penalizing the two networks by not doing
          interviews both during and after the current labor
          impasse.

          Patrick Ewing, the union president, said that the
          players, "to a man," were angry that NBC and Turner
          Sports "have taken the active role that they have in
          promoting this lockout."

          "When all is said and done," Ewing added, "this lockout
          will have cost the players a lot of money, and NBC's
          role will not be forgotten."

          Said Billy Hunter, the union executive director, "We're
          not going to do anything that would be negligent or
          detrimental to the overall success of the league, but
          our players are not looking very favorably" on NBC and
          Turner Sports.

          "A lot of players have actually stated that they're not
          going to do interviews with either network," Hunter
          said.

          The consequences for a network boycott could be costly,
          resulting in huge fines for players who refused
          interviews. The owners and union are still negotiating
          player-conduct issues, some of which entail how much
          players should be docked for failing to make themselves
          available for mandatory news media sessions.

          At any rate, it is one thing for the league and players
          to brood about lost games and lost paychecks in a
          lockout that has already led to the cancellation of the
          first month of the regular season. But that NBC and
          Turner Sports -- which shows games on TBS and TNT --
          could emerge as the next casualties of the
          four-month-old stalemate left NBA Commissioner David
          Stern befuddled.

          "These are outlets that provide interviews, that
          provide studio jobs for our players, that do additional
          shows and that provide new careers for them," Stern
          said Thursday. "If anything, they are the most
          responsible for the growth of this sport and the
          success of the sport and the salaries that our players
          earn."

          He added, "I'm comfortable that when we make the deal,
          reality will be reaffirmed."

          The new four-year deal between the league, NBC and
          Turner Sports was announced last fall, a total $2.6
          billion package that was awarded without competitive
          bidding. While the contract provided for work-stoppage
          protection for the league, the networks did include
          clauses to recoup the losses incurred in paying for
          games that might not be played. In NBC's case, the
          compensation will be either a rebate or reduced rights
          fees in the final three years of the deal. Turner
          Sports will be given extra games to broadcast.

          Privately, league officials believe the players are
          trying to pull the networks into the fray in order that
          NBC and Turner Sports might exert pressure on the
          owners to cut a deal and get the season started. During
          a news conference in Manhattan on Wednesday, Hunter
          alluded to NBC's recent layoffs.

          "One of the things you also have to look at is what's
          happening with NBC," Hunter said. "NBC is one of the
          networks that has underwritten the latest TV deal,
          which in a way helps finance the lockout. I read the
          papers every day, and I saw that NBC is experiencing
          some rather significant problems themselves. I don't
          think NBC and TNT will stand by and let there not be a
          season. I don't think I can close my eyes to that."

          The union believes that the approximately $16 million
          in guaranteed revenue for each of the 29 teams this
          season has essentially amounted to a savings account
          for owners. And Hunter singled out the lack of
          competitive bidding on the contract, saying: "David's
          position has always been because NBC has been with the
          NBA for so long, they've become like a family. They've
          helped insure the success of the league. So he's
          inclined to enter into some agreeable arrangement with
          them."

          Hunter continued: "Had the TV contract not been
          structured the way it is, it would have made it a lot
          more difficult for the NBA to load up. If they're sure
          they're going to be paid, the economic impact on the
          owners is not as severe."

          NBC's first scheduled television date this season is a
          Christmas Day game between the Knicks and the Chicago
          Bulls, part of an NBA doubleheader. TNT and TBS
          televise on Tuesday, Wednesday and Fridays of each week
          during the regular season.

          Dick Ebersol, the president of NBC sports, declined
          comment on the union's statements. Greg Hughes, the
          vice president of public relations for Turner Sports,
          said the cable network was not taking sides in the
          dispute, regardless of the way the deal was structured.

          "There have been clauses for work stoppages in our
          deals with the NBA for the past 15 years, so this one
          is no different," Hughes said. "We're not taking sides
          throughout the whole process. We have been partners
          with the league and with the players. We hope the
          players wouldn't hold the contract against us."

                Copyright 1998 The New York Times Company