Re: Michael Holley

www.boston.com/dailyglobe/globehtml/302/They_ve_been_playing_crazy_game.

DJessen33@aol.com wrote:

> Paul, it's time to clue us in. Earlier, someone said you frequently
> use
> sarcasm in your  posts. Generally, people put a <g> after sarcasm so
> people
> don't think you're actually serious about your comments. I again found

> Holley's article racially oriented. I use sports as an escape of the
> world's
> problems but Holley seems hell-bent on achieving his racial agenda
> through his
> editorials. Any song gets old if you play it over and over again. I
> assume you
> feel the same...
>
> DJessen33

Hi gents:

I guess I'll have to re-read that Michael Holley article again, but I
honestly would need to become a LOT more touchy to pick up on any
heavy-handed "racial agenda." Maybe it's just me (and Paul M. etc.), but
I took what Holley wrote in his article about race as an utterly "duh"
and straight telling of truth (not the whole truth but one perfectly
legit feature of it). I lived in Boston for nearly 10 years and I think
it's obvious that I'm proud of this. But with due respect, who are you
all trying to kid out there? What kind of denial are you going through?
I've been called lousy racial things by people of every age from school
kids to seniors (but unlike Holley, I can always get a taxi to stop for
me). Even if the vast majority of Americans are cool by ANY standard of
measurement, I feel from experience that it's hard outside a college
campus to not encounter racism on a daily basis (particularly in
Boston). It's really just the law of averages (you pass a lot of
people). Race relations aren't even 1/10th as rosy as Hollywood lets the
rest of the world out there see and admire ("Independance Day", "Lethal
Weapon"). I make this claim without the slightest hesitation or anger.
If you've lived there, then all of this is "duh".

I'm sure I don't have a racial agenda.  IMO, Michael Holley doesn't
either. The guy just senses that the vast majority of NBA ticket buyers
don't care about pro basketball players even remotely as much as people
on the Celtics list do. Plus, "Buddy" clearly just wants to spend
October talking about interesting basketball games and trades, not caps
and taxes. I'm with that. Holley's just fine IMO as our Celtics beat
writer (although I wish the Globe would hire our own Bill Cooper).
Holley writes like he actually still loves basketball (unlike Peter May)
and he cares about the individuals who play it for our Celtics. He's
basically like anyone of us, I say.

Maybe I'm ranting. Sorry.

Peace,

JH