Rich Hoffman: Those Poor NBA Millionaires

                                      October 29, 1998

                                Oh, those poor millionaires

                                 NBA scraps two more weeks
                                 By Rich Hoffman
                                 Philadelphia Inquirer

                      You be the dog,

                      And I'll be the pony.

                      You call it progress,

                      And I'll call it phony.

                      Dog. Pony.

                      Progress. Phony.

                      Let's call the season off.
                      -- Old labor ballad

                      NEW YORK -- It is an immutable law in the
                      business of sports and labor that the chances for
                      a quick settlement drop in direct proportion to
                      the number of players at the bargaining table.
                      Rule of thumb: Add one player, drop the
                      settlement chances by 1 percent.

                      Well, more than 100 NBA players were gathered
                      here yesterday for the latest confrontation among
                      millionaires. More than 100. You can do the math.

                      "We don't think there is any downside with
                      engaging in a dialogue with our players," NBA
                      commissioner David Stern said before heading into
                      a meeting with a big group of players, a group
                      that included Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen,
                      Grant Hill, David Robinson and dozens more.

                      Right. No downside. But the very fact that the
                      union needs to offer the owners these repeated
                      shows of solidarity tells you plenty about the
                      level of trust and understanding between the
                      sides right now. The very idea Stern felt this
                      was an opportunity to show the players the owners
                      who accompanied him to the meeting weren't a
                      bunch of shameless ogres tells you plenty, as
                      well.

                      What it tells you is that we have a long way to
                      go yet. What it tells you is that the NBA's
                      announcement that all November games are now
                      canceled almost certainly won't be the end of it.

                      This is still kabuki, not collective bargaining.
                      And the thing is, a lot of players don't seem to
                      realize that more than money is at stake here.
                      Much more.
                      The smart-alecks in front of the hotel
                      undoubtedly got their 15 minutes of fame -- or 15
                      seconds on the evening news. They said they
                      represented an organization called "Fans Union."
                      They had all kinds of props and signs, including
                      the one that said, "NBA Canned Food Drive -- Give
                      Generously."

                      Walking, talking soundbites. What they did was
                      trivialize a phenomenon that a lot of people seem
                      to be feeling right now. In most sports labor
                      deals, the average fan is a
                      pox-on-both-your-houses guy. Here, though, the
                      sense a lot of people have is that the players
                      are bearing the brunt of the image-bashing, even
                      though they're the ones being locked out by the
                      owners.

                      "Yes, everybody's image is suffering," Robinson
                      said, forgetting for a minute that nobody ever
                      paid a nickel to see the owner, and that an
                      owner's image is important only to him while the
                      players' image is important to everyone.

                      "Yes, I'm worried about that," he said. "That's
                      our fan base out there. I've got to worry about
                      it.

                      "I've got to meet the kids and play with them.
                      I've got to talk to the parents. I'm very
                      concerned about what they think of me as a
                      person. I'm very concerned about what they think
                      of all of us as players. But there's a place
                      where you have to draw the line, and I think most
                      of the guys believe this is an issue worth
                      standing up for."

                      The issue: more money for stars.

                      The issue: just more.

                      This is a union that chooses to show the flag in
                      Las Vegas -- which people still snicker about.
                      (Solidarity forever! Million-dollar slots!) This
                      is a union that argues for a free market for
                      superstar salaries, knowing full well that 75
                      percent of its membership will receive absolutely
                      no benefit as a result. This is a union that
                      figures the average working guy somehow
                      understands his fight against the mean, old
                      owners, not realizing that the people who haven't
                      tuned out already are thoroughly disgusted.

                      Make no mistake -- the league is very, very
                      conscious of the irony here. The NBA has spent
                      the last 20 years building up and burnishing the
                      image of its players. It has had more success in
                      that regard than any other sports league. And
                      it's slipping away, slowly but steadily.

                      In the last 18 months, that image has suffered.
                      Latrell Sprewell. Deadbeat dads on the cover of
                      Sports Illustrated. No marijuana policy.
                      Hundred-million-dollar contracts -- that final
                      zero coming across as an unbelievable exclamation
                      point to the average guy.

                      And now, this. It gets worse with each passing
                      day. And if some of this is fueled by racism --
                      if there's anything worse for a certain
                      percentage of white America than a rich, pampered
                      athlete begging for more, it's a rich, pampered,
                      black athlete -- that just complicates the
                      sport's problems.

                      Twenty years ago, the NBA managed to supplant a
                      too-black, too-drug-infested image by putting the
                      focus on the players and their amazing skills.
                      The league soared to unbelievable heights. But
                      here and now, even if this thing gets settled
                      tomorrow, a lot of the age-old hurdles have been
                      put back in place.

                      But they don't get it. They really don't. Even
                      Michael Jordan can't seem to grasp the concept.
                      Even a guy whose image has made him more money
                      than basketball has, if that's possible, doesn't
                      get it. When he was asked yesterday about what he
                      might say to the fans, Jordan went into a long
                      campaign speech talking about David Stern and the
                      owners and revenue sharing and whatnot. He has no
                      idea how absurd this all sounds to the people who
                      buy the tickets. He has no idea what real people
                      really think.

                      Then again, why would he?

                      How would he?

                      "If it gets settled fairly soon, our image won't
                      suffer," said the Nets' Keith Van Horn, eagerly.
                      He is a kid, and a kid can be forgiven his
                      naivete. But that's what it is, naivete.

                      "If it goes into December, then I think it will [
                      hurt the image ] ," he said. "But I don't think
                      the fans are extremely frustrated at this point.
                      To tell you the truth, the regular season hasn't
                      started yet [ it would have opened Nov. 3 ] ."

                      If it goes into December?

                      Fellas: It is into December. And when it ends --
                      sometime after the number of people in the
                      bargaining sessions has been reduced from triple
                      digits -- everyone should know this: A lot more
                      has been lost here than just money.

                             ©1998 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.