Peter Vecsey: Time For Hunter To Start Negotiating

                               [New York Post]
                               SPORTS

                               TIME FOR HUNTER TO START TALKING

                    By PETER VECSEY
                    A S EVERYONE who vanquished me regarding time and
                    material over the last year can testify (and will
                    attest to when deposed), in terms of renovation
                    negotiations, I ain't nathen ... or, to the
                    tragically unhip, nothin'.

                    Still, even those who've repeatedly failed out of the
                    School of Business Bargaining recognized the NBA
                    players weren't going to find a solution - win or
                    lose - to their deadlock with the league's owners by
                    going to court.

                    Nor were they going to find an answer by going to Las
                    Vegas.

                    Especially when the opposition was in New York.

                    Again, what do I know about the process, but I
                    suspect there's only one way for Billy Hunter, the
                    executive director of the Players Association, to
                    reach a new Collective Bargaining Agreement with
                    commissioner David Stern ... NEGOTIATE!!!

                    Get into a room with him by his lonesome and advise
                    Stern, I've got to have this, this and this. And, in
                    return, I'm willing to give up this, this and this.

                    Experienced litigants in such conflicts suggest this
                    is how such stalemates are broken. Which might be the
                    problem. Though a seasoned court room practitioner,
                    this is Hunter's first public performance
                    representing such a powerful and wealthy group.

                    Not to mention his first pressurized clash with
                    Stern, an accomplished strategist at the table. And
                    it's not as if there's room for error. Hunter was
                    hired by union president Patrick Ewing (i.e. David
                    Falk) for one purpose and one purpose only ... to
                    beat Stern at his game.

                    So far, not surprisingly, Hunter has flat-out refused
                    to play. As long as there was hope arbitrator John
                    Feerick would bail out 226 players owning $700
                    million worth of guaranteed contracts, why take a
                    chance on making a tactical negotiating error? As
                    long as the union continues to demonstrate
                    solidarity, and doesn't mind missing paychecks, why
                    take the time to help formulate a new system that
                    actually might make fiscal sense for both sides? As
                    for Stern, he hasn't exactly penetrated the
                    periphery, either. But at least he says he wants to
                    talk. At least he says he's ready to negotiate.

                    However, for the most part, each side's negotiation
                    has consisted of passing proposals back and forth,
                    with plenty of time for thought (and little else) in
                    between, and clarifying uncompromising positions that
                    already were undeniably clear. As well as equally
                    outrageous.

                    For over four months, Hunter and Stern have taken
                    turns being offended by each other's offer. With good
                    reason. Each extremist has been unwilling to commit
                    to something vaguely fair for fear of giving away too
                    much too early. Meanwhile, it's getting late. The
                    prospects of having a quality season, or any season
                    at all, are rapidly diminishing.

                    As of yesterday evening, Hunter, displaying no sense
                    of urgency, had not accepted Stern's invitation to
                    negotiate (i.e. submitting to some old-fashioned give
                    and take, as opposed to returning to the office and
                    slowly composing another counter-proposal) any time
                    soon.

                    Hunter talks tough, but it's almost as if he's afraid
                    of the competition. C'mon, big fella, when are we
                    gonna see what you can do?

                    The only news we know for sure following the union's
                    two-day conference in Comp City? The agents are
                    unified. FAR BE IT from me to mock the players and
                    their agents for throwing out the possibility of a
                    league of their own. Lord knows, the wildest ideas
                    have a way of turning into overnight, world-class
                    money makers.

                    Still, how many franchises can Michael Jordan
                    represent?

                    More to the decimal point, how long do you think it'd
                    take for them to place a salary cap on themselves?

                    A better idea might be to call NBC and Turner Sports
                    about openings in their new football league.

                    Do the players honestly believe they can pocket
                    remotely as much as they're currently banking?
                    Contracting a dose of reality would be swift.

                    It's like our kids. They live with us for a long
                    time. Finally, they move out and get their own place.
                    Then suddenly it dawns on them how expensive toilet
                    paper is, how much it costs to exist day-to-day.
                    Obviously, they never had a clue before because
                    everything was paid for by their parents.

                    Wait until the players learn how much it costs to
                    move around the U.S. by charter. How much first-class
                    hotels stick you for. What happens when they tweak
                    their knee or ankle? Think they'll opt for an MRI
                    each time? Do they realize what medical coverage
                    costs? Do they have any conception they're the most
                    pampered athletes in all of sports?

                    Which brings us to the inspiration of the locked-out
                    players putting on exhibition games. You mean to tell
                    me Penny Hardaway is going to jeopardize the four
                    remaining years on his $50M contract for the sake of
                    union members? You mean to tell me free-agent Scottie
                    Pippen is going to risk a career-threatening injury
                    and blow $50M? Who's going to pay for potential
                    surgery by the best doctors? Who's going to foot the
                    cost of rehabilitation?

                    The most relevant question is, of course, who's going
                    to lay out top dollar to see little-contact,
                    no-defense dunking contests, in which every other
                    possession results in a someone hanging on the rim
                    and screaming obscenities? Drawing any kind of a
                    well-paying crowd will depend exclusively on whether
                    Jordan suits up and Wilt has anything left.

                    Naturally, like so many of their other charity
                    endeavors, the players will expect some kind of
                    compensation in the usual form of plane tickets,
                    board, per diem and tickets for friends and family.

                    Let's make sure we all understand this: If the top
                    salaries are scaled back, how is there less money for
                    the middle class, how will they get squeezed harder
                    than before, as agents insist? Seems to me it's
                    exactly the opposite case - it'll open up salary room
                    without as much security, perhaps, as they'd like,
                    I'll grant you that.

                    At the very least, four or five starters (exempting
                    the teams who've already obscenely overspent to sign
                    Alonzo Mourning, Juwan Howard, Kevin Garnett;
                    everyone over $10M minus Jordan) will dominate a
                    team's cap, versus one in the old CBA.

                    I'm waiting patiently for hard questions to be asked
                    by players not named Ewing, Mourning and Dikembe
                    Mutombo. THIS just in, Feerick has ruled Sprewell
                    will be paid during the lockout ... A number of
                    players have confided to me they expect things to get
                    so bad once they start to miss checks, they're
                    willing to accept donations from the people who make
                    their sneakers.