Exhibition games

The more I hear about these exhibition games, the more it sounds like a
joke.  If I understand it right, these games are supposed to be a way of
providing money for the lower paid players.  But, who's going to come
watch the Bruce Bowens of the world play in a pick up game?  So, the
teams will have to be made up of big name players.  And, what, they do
it for free and the money goes to the minimum wagers?  How long will
that last?  And what happens when some star tears up his knee in one of
these games?  And how long will people want to watch games that have no
meaning in terms of any league standings?

The players seem to be determined to do anything other than negotiate
with the owners.  I think the wealthy ones have decided to sit out until
January when the owners start losing money from the network contracts.
The question is, will the rest of the union be able to hold out that
long?  I think predictions of an imminent settlement were premature.
What is the theoretical deadline after which the season would be
cancelled?

Jim