Re: Dave Kindred, Who needs the players

In a message dated 10/9/98 4:26:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
jahill@leasingservice.com writes:

>  What is a joke is the opinion on the list stating that the owners should
>  pay the players whatever the player wants or sell THEIR team.

    What is a problem is that (1) the owners won't open the books, so we have
no way of knowing whether giving Walker $100M (for example) really hurts
anyone, and (2) the fact that the players (at least the union heavies,
apparently dominated by higher-paid players) are incredibly greedy, willing to
lose a season so that Jordan and Walker can make $15-30M/year while Bowen, DQ,
and the 8th-12th guys on every team go broke or go play in Turkey or
whereever.  I confess that I can't find too much to sympathize with on either
side, although my historical leanings are pro-labor.  I also confess that I
like simple solutions, and have been told that "the only people who like
simple solutions are simple people."  Set a cap for any player at $10M/year (
EACH YEAR that's more than 90% of us will earn in a lifetime - make $200,000
year for 50 years and you hit 10 mil);  allow the "franchise player"
exception.  whatever.   Didn't we read that something like 40% of the players
make minimum wage?
     I'm glad I'm on the outside complaining and not on the inside trying to
negotiate a solution.  Tough job those guys have.  (And I mean that in all
sincerity.)    And, while I have enjoyed this offseason list more than most (I
have no desire to maim Noah, for example), like the rest of you, I'm ready for
some basketball!