Bird Exception

Forwarded article:  ON HIS OWN EXCEPTION: BIRD `SYMPATHETIC' TO BOTH SIDES

<snip>
The exception, Bird said, came about when his first contract expired.
"The team said, `We can't do anything. If you can't find a way, we'll
pay it,' " Bird recalled. "My agent, Bob Woolf, and Larry Fleisher
(then head of the players association) found the loophole, and that's
how it started."
<snip>

Someone explain to me what started happening??

What is the whole story behind the Larry Bird exception.

Ritesh Ramani
ramani_rite@bentley.edu