Union See Link To NHL Lockout

          November 29, 1998

          Union Sees Link to N.H.L. Lockout

          By SELENA ROBERTS

              There was name-calling and bitter mistrust and times
              when the two sides would sulk in silence. There
          were concerns about fan alienation and irreparable
          rifts, and moments when the season looked lost.

          This scene does not refer to the National Basketball
          Association's current lockout, but to the labor strife
          that nearly resulted in the cancellation of the
          National Hockey League's 1994-95 season. In the end,
          after a grueling and emotional 48-hour session to save
          the season as the fail-safe deadline passed, the
          insults that had been aimed at one another for five
          months were no more fatal than shots fired in a game of
          paint ball. Just colorful rhetoric for the sake of one
          contentious game: labor negotiations.

          To some in the National Basketball Players Association,
          the course the NHL took in ending its lockout and
          reaching an 11th-hour agreement with its players in
          January 1995 has provided a blueprint for the NBA.

          "It's beginning to play out that way," said one union
          official, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "I
          don't think it's a coincidence."

          One main reason for the union's suspicion lies in the
          relationship between NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and
          NBA commissioner David Stern. For years, Stern was
          Bettman's mentor in the NBA. Then Bettman departed the
          league five years ago with some of what he had gleaned
          from Stern.

          Suddenly, Bettman was off to put the NHL on the pop
          charts. Two years later, a grim lockout left wounds on
          both sides, but ended under an ultimatum: Get an
          agreement or else the season is canceled. Under that
          pressure, a deal was struck that left both sides
          relieved, but was viewed to favor the owners.

          "The owners moved inches, and we moved football
          fields," defenseman Tommy Albelin said when the deal
          was agreed to on the 103rd day of the NHL lockout, Jan.
          11, 1995.

          So far, as the NBA lockout moves into its 152nd day
          Sunday, Stern has refused to set a deadline, which
          union officials have been asking for in recent weeks in
          order to know what they are up against.

          While there is no deadline yet, there are notable
          similarities in the issues that faced the NHL and now
          the NBA. What to do with the season? After its lockout
          ended, the NHL put into motion a 48-game reduced
          schedule and lengthened the regular season. The NBA has
          discussed a similar scenario. How long can the current
          stalemate last? In the NHL, a month of silence passed
          between a Dec. 6 meeting and the ones leading to a
          settlement in January. The last bargaining session in
          the NBA was 10 days ago, with no new meetings
          scheduled. How do the players feel? As with the NHL,
          the players in the NBA have an attitude reflective of
          Albelin's.

          "Our players feel like we have given up too much
          already," said a union spokesman, Dan Wasserman. "They
          keep giving and giving."

          So far, the players have offered the following: a
          decrease in the maximum raise on multiyear contracts to
          10 percent from 20 percent, a fourth year to the rookie
          wage scale, a luxury tax on superstars making $15
          million salaries and an agreement on the framework of
          an escrow plan.

          But then something happened along the way to progress.
          After a 10-hour session on Nov. 20, a couple of days
          passed and a misunderstanding grew over what was agreed
          to by the union. Suspecting that the union was reneging
          on its word, the league canceled a bargaining session
          that had been scheduled for Saturday.

          During the past week of discord, the union has insisted
          on its desired percentage of basketball-related
          revenues. The union does not intend to budge off 57
          percent, well above the 51.8 percent figure that
          allowed the owners to reopen the collective bargaining
          agreement.

          "It's not practical, but that's the position they've
          taken," Russ Granik, the deputy commissioner, said
          Saturday. "They want at least as good a deal as last
          time. Unfortunately, the way it worked out is that the
          players had too good of a deal."

          Until the league sees some hint of flexibility, the
          stalemate is expected to continue. Perhaps the NBA's
          labor strife will end as it did in the NHL. As January
          came, and a deadline was set, the fear of losing the
          season began to unsettle the players and the owners.
          That fear motivated them to overcome the hostility and
          get a deal done.

          If and when a deadline is set for the NBA, there is the
          expectation that a marathon session of bargaining will
          commence. As one union official put it, the waiting
          would be over and the players could find out whether a
          deal could be struck.

          But any reliance on the NHL blueprint can be perilous.
          What if Stern continues his reluctance to lay down a
          threat by setting a deadline and, without warning,
          decides to cancel the season? What if the owners, some
          of whom are willing to forgo the season now, are not
          posturing?

          "I have no idea what they are waiting for or what their
          strategy is," Granik said. "We're not going to set a
          deadline because that sounds like an ultimatum. Either
          we will make a deal or we won't. Our strategy is very
          simple: We need a deal that is fair to the owners. If
          we have it, we play basketball. If we don't have it, we
          won't. There's no hocus-pocus. There's no magic to it.
          We'd much prefer to negotiate the deal now rather than
          later."

                Copyright 1998 The New York Times Company