Dave Krieger: NBA Not Likely To Declare Impasse

                       Doomsday option not likely path
                       NBA not apt to declare impasse, open camps

                       By Dave Krieger
                       News Staff Writer

                       With talks in the NBA labor dispute suspended once more,
                       both sides acknowledged Wednesday the possibility the
                       league could exercise a doomsday option that would end the
                       lockout, open camps and force players to choose between
                       their union and their league.

                       A top league official said declaring an impasse in
                       negotiations and imposing work rules unilaterally is an
                       option for club owners but that they are more likely to
                       cancel the entire 1998-99 season.

                       "Certainly, there is an impasse right now," said Jeff
                       Mishkin, the NBA's chief legal officer. "There's no doubt
                       about that. Legally, there's an impasse. We have the right,
                       therefore, to open up and unilaterally implement new terms.
                       It is not our present intention to implement new terms."

                       To cancel the season would cost the league an estimated $2
                       billion in revenues and do unpredictable damage to its
                       image. No major sports league in America ever has canceled
                       an entire season because of a labor dispute. Faced with
                       that reality, some owners are likely to want to explore
                       declaring an impasse and opening for business.

                       "There's always that possibility," union director Billy
                       Hunter said. "I think the commissioner has said that he's
                       not inclined to implement that, that what he would do is he
                       would cancel the season before he would implement that."

                       Indeed, one union official said NBA commissioner David
                       Stern has said that won't happen while he's in charge. The
                       tactic would instigate a war with players and their union,
                       which Stern, known for his liberal political views, would
                       not want as a legacy.

                       On the other hand, shutting down the league he made so
                       successful is hardly a desirable legacy, either.

                       "Those are questions that the owners obviously have to
                       decide," Mishkin said. "I don't know where the owners would
                       be on that. I can tell you that the present intention is to
                       not operate until we have a deal we can live with."

                       Players continued to believe it would not come to either of
                       these options, even as the latest framework for a deal was
                       falling apart. Hunter expressed optimism an agreement can
                       be reached and criticized league officials for canceling a
                       negotiating session scheduled for Saturday.

                       League officials said the union had, for the second time,
                       backed off a framework it had agreed to at the bargaining
                       table, prompting deputy commissioner Russ Granik to
                       conclude there was no point in holding the bargaining
                       session.

                       "I've known (union outside counsel) Jeff Kessler a long
                       time, and I have great respect and admiration for him,"
                       Mishkin said. "I'm not calling him names or anything. But
                       it couldn't have been clearer, what we were talking about.
                       And Kessler said -- his words were -- 'We accept your tax
                       proposal."'

                       The reference was to a 200 percent luxury tax on owners
                       proposed by the league to back up an escrow tax on players,
                       all designed to achieve the labor cost certainty the owners
                       have been seeking since the dispute began. Hunter disputed
                       Miskin's account.

                       "Those were not our exact words," Hunter said. "Our exact
                       words were that we agreed with the framework ... we said,
                       'We agree with the framework, we don't particularly agree
                       with the numbers."'

                       When Kessler informed Granik on Tuesday the union did not
                       agree to the 200 percent backup luxury tax, Granik drafted
                       a letter listing what Hunter called "preconditions" for the
                       negotiating session. Hunter wouldn't agree, and the session
                       was canceled.

                       The heart of the dispute remained the league's effort,
                       through a variety of mechanisms, to impose a hard cap on
                       the percentage of revenues devoted to player salaries. The
                       union has tried to maintain loopholes that would allow
                       owners to pay higher salaries. Each scheme the two sides
                       have entertained has come to a point at which the league
                       attempted to close the lid. The players have walked away
                       each time.

                       "The problem in this whole negotiation is the completely
                       different perspective of the two sides," Mishkin said. "The
                       players view the owners as 29 independent competitors who,
                       if they don't want to spend the money, shouldn't spend it.
                       If they want to give Kevin Garnett (a big contract), then
                       they should, and there should be no limits on them.

                       "We view the NBA as a business in competition with
                       baseball, football, hockey and everything else you can
                       watch on television, and we have to have a league that we
                       can promote. We don't view the teams as 29 independent
                       competitors who, if they wanted to, could just knock each
                       other off competitively, the way Ford could knock of
                       General Motors."

                       Mishkin cited teams losing money in baseball and hockey and
                       said the NBA will not accept a labor agreement that would
                       allow its teams to suffer the same fate.

                       The union remains unalterably opposed to a hard salary cap,
                       which, in one form or another, is what the league is
                       demanding.

                       "I had agreed we would try the escrow system, but we're not
                       going to try it in such a way that, in fact, it becomes a
                       hard cap, which is something we agreed we wouldn't do,"
                       Hunter said.

                       Still, union leaders remained hopeful of a settlement, with
                       some players suggesting the league has its own timetable
                       and is still a couple of weeks from wanting a deal. Asked
                       Wednesday whether he believed Stern would cancel the
                       season, Hunter said:

                       "He's obviously threatened to do it, but whether or not he
                       will do it, I guess, has yet to be seen. I think with all
                       of the concessions that we've made and restraints that
                       we've put in and the fact that we're not really that far
                       apart -- I'm convinced that we can probably get a deal if
                       they want one. To me, it just doesn't make sense. I think
                       the odds are against it."

                       November 26, 1998

                       [An E.W. Scripps Co.]    © Copyright, Denver Publishing Co.