Peter Vecsey Solves The NBA Crisis

                            [New York Post]
                                 SPORTS

                            HOW NBA CAN SAVE ITS SEASON

                    By PETER VECSEY
                    THE NBA's late collective bargaining
                    agreement compelled owners to pay out more
                    than they were taking it. Hence, roughly
                    400 players pocketed an expense-free 57.1
                    percent of the revenue last season. The 29
                    owners, after paying the total tab,
                    subdivided what was left. So much for an
                    equal partnership.

                    Fairness, of course, is in the conscience
                    of the negotiator. If the agent-controlled
                    union and its membership is determined to
                    maintain such starkly uneven percentages,
                    the odds against reaching a settlement any
                    time soon appears remote.

                    Clearly, the old system (if we accept the
                    premise that the players and owners are,
                    indeed, partners) didn't balance out for
                    both sides.

                    At the same time, it's just as clear no
                    one's sure the new system - that would
                    assure a 50-50 split - would work even had
                    the union not disdainfully rejected it.

                    Meanwhile, the clock on the season is
                    dangerously ticking as David Stern and
                    Billy Hunter, after a ridiculously long
                    lull, meet today for the most meaningful
                    bargaining session in the league's 52-year
                    history. Without hardly trying, the
                    commissioner and the union's executive
                    director have only themselves to thank
                    should a 24-game violation, or worse, be
                    committed.

                    Later for assigning the appropriate guilty;
                    there will always be an opportunity for
                    guys like me to publicly flog those
                    derelict in their duties should they
                    negotiate themselves down from their
                    exalted place in the sports chain.

                    All I know is, if egos get any more frayed
                    and the proposed system gets any more
                    complicated, it'll be impossible to patch
                    up their differences should the successful
                    partners walk away in a huff from the
                    bargaining table this time around.

                    The next thing you know, the commissioner
                    will be canceling the season (unlikely, I
                    submit, until February), as if that'll
                    prove something. Like what? How tough the
                    owners are? How unified the players are?
                    How uncaring they are about their fans? How
                    many people they'll put out of work? How,
                    as Patrick Union insists, this is about
                    principles, integrity and survival? (If
                    this is the way Patrick plans to negotiate
                    his divorce, Rita is going to get
                    everything)

                    Or, more to the point, how both sides are
                    so rich they can afford to be stupid and
                    stubborn?

                    Again, the cancellation of the season would
                    prove nothing and solve less. Does anyone
                    who bothers to think this out honestly
                    believe extinction will resolve any issues
                    or result in bringing the two sides closer
                    together? It figures to create such
                    bitterness they might not meet again for
                    six months.

                    All along I've felt Stern and Hunter were
                    too smart, and those they represent earned
                    far too much to strangle the golden goose
                    on purpose. Strange as it may seem, despite
                    the flagrant lack of accomplishment and
                    activity since discussions regarding a new
                    deal began seven months ago, I'm still
                    confident reason will seep to the top.

                    Unless, of course, the players know another
                    way of averaging $2.6M ($3.1M four years
                    from now) for six months of playing a game
                    two hours a day.

                    Enough is enough as long as you're
                    guaranteed a five percent raise each year
                    on your billion dollar share of the action,
                    I always say.

                    "If the season is canceled, we're gonna
                    have to learn the most important six words
                    of our lives," a local free agent muttered
                    months ago, only half in jest. "You want
                    fries with that, sir?"

                    To avoid such a disturbing crash course
                    (reality check), I challenge both sides to
                    put their money where their ideals are. If
                    no satisfactory compromise is on the
                    horizon ... if the players, mistrustful of
                    the owners, find it impossible to believe
                    (in spite of their certified accountants
                    having access to the books) many teams are
                    losing millions ... if they feel there's no
                    cure for the contagious disease called
                    hardening of the categories, I defy them to
                    accept my terms.

                    Unfortunately, that would mean the two
                    partners would no longer be able to hide
                    behind conveniently cloudy issues (excuses)
                    such as The Bird Exception, Escrow Fund,
                    Luxury Tax, Hard Cap, Percentages of
                    Basketball Related Income and whatever else
                    they're shoveling across the table at each
                    other.

                    I say, if both sides really want to show
                    they mean business, instead of looking to
                    ruin it, adopt a simple system in which
                    there would be no salary cap, no restraints
                    or restrictions, whatsoever. Make as much
                    as your entourage can expend. In return,
                    you're only entitled to a one-year
                    guarantee, two seasons of security at the
                    very most.

                    Think you should be paid like a star? Let's
                    see how you handle the pressure and
                    competition on an everyday basis. Think you
                    can affect the stands and/or the standings?
                    Think you can make the difference? Be the
                    go-to guy. Be the ultimate role player? Do
                    the dirty work? Take over a game? Take a
                    team to the playoffs? Turn around a
                    franchise? Lead it to a championship?
                    Deserve more than anyone else?

                    Prove it. Then prove it again next year and
                    the year after that. Just like most of
                    mankind is forced to do. Just like Michael
                    Jordan has been doing the last two years,
                    one MVP and scoring title season at a time.
                    I've never heard a solitary soul complain
                    he's overpaid. In fact, if anything, he's
                    underpaid considering his superior
                    standards and regular elite achievement
                    level.

                    Since basketball players are more
                    entertainers than athletes in any other
                    sport, let them be paid like big-screen
                    stars, most of whom get paid by the movie.
                    And you're only as good as your last movie
                    or two.

                    Which reminds me, when's the last time
                    Patrick Union made a good move?

                    How great would that be if you're the
                    paying public. Come to a game, even one
                    that figures to be lopsided, and know
                    you're going to get your money's worth in
                    terms of unselfish team work and individual
                    hustle.

                    Every possession and performance would be
                    contested and consequential. Every night
                    pride and profit would be on the line.
                    Every player would have something
                    substantial to lose and win. Every game
                    would have a serrated edge. The most
                    obvious downside of this system? The NBA
                    might very well turn into 29 rotating
                    rosters. Another possible drawback? As one
                    All-Star I consulted on the idea contends,
                    "Four or five big-time or warm-weather
                    cities would attract all the best players."

                    Maybe. But last time I paid attention back
                    in June, there was only room for just so
                    much salary at each of the five positions
                    per team. There's only enough playing time,
                    shots and celebrity to go around if the
                    plan is to win with a minimum of clashing.
                    If there isn't enough elite talent to
                    spread around the smaller market cities, it
                    confirms the fact a number of players have
                    been stealing their paychecks all these
                    years. It only means the NBA's watered-down
                    product has been exposed.

                    Which is why nobody on either side will
                    dare accept the above ground rules.
                    Especially the agents. The last thing
                    they're about to gamble big on, I suspect,
                    is their client's consistency and
                    stability.

                    My answer to that is, the NBA can't do
                    without owners and it can't do without
                    players. But it can do very nicely without
                    agents.