Re: Another cap suggestion

Douglas342@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/18/98 2:34:31 PM Central Standard Time,
> jim_meninno@hotmail.com writes:
>
> > What if the LBE could only be
> >  used to match offers from other teams for your free agents.  So, if
> you
> >  had a free agent you could either sign him for an amount within the
> cap
> >  or he would test the market.  If he did, you could match any offer
> he
> >  got.
>     Jim, wouldn't you have a problem in that the other offering team
> would
> have to be able to sign the free agent to the offered contract?  But
> how can,
> for example, the Celtics offer Jordan $30 mil when he isn't the
> Celtics' free
> agent?  The Cs can only offer him whatever they - the Cs - have under
> their
> own cap, right?

Well, I think you sum up Jim's point.  High end salaries for "franchise
players" would be determined by what competing clubs are in any position
to bid, rather than what slick agents can con dumb-ass, mid-life-crisis,
billionaire owners ("Hello T-Wolves and Blazers") into paying for
unfinished basketball talent.