A way to stop the lockout -Reply

>>> Warwick <giants@eisa.net.au> 11/18/98 09:57am >>>
Then theres one 'superstar' player whose allowed to sign for whatever
the team is willing to pay them. The player is allowed to have a maximum
contract length of 8 seasons.
So that is ...

Superstar - salary not affecting cap - $whatever over 7.5 mil.
$7.5 mil maximum through to $500,000 (times 5 players)

What do you guys think?!<<<<

I think that there would be a lot of competition / in-fighting that might arise
over who gets anointed "superstar."  For example, who gets it in
Chicago--Pippen or Jordan?  The answer is obvious, but it might induce
someone with a tremendous amount of talent (like Pippen) to seek
"superstar" status on another team--counterintuitive to the Bulls' (or any
other team in the same situation) efforts to assemble a powerhouse
roster.  What if we had won last year's lottery and had Walker and
Duncan on the same team?  Would Walker stay if Duncan was appointed
the "superstar?"  Maybe so, but perhaps he would seek to go to another
team where he would be the undisputed "superstar."

A better example might be Minnesota Timberwolves.  Who's the best on
that team?  Say what you will about Garnett, but Gugliotta might be their
best player.  However, it's important to consider that this franchise is
nothing without Marbury's superlative play at the point guard position...

So what's the answer?  If these guys lose Googs because the team is
handcuffed by Garnett's enormous contract (think AW, everyone), the
T-Wolves take a step backwards--no question about it, playoff
performance against the Sonics notwithstanding.

And if Marbury decides to take his show on the road (a distinct
possibility), because the team can't tender a contract worthy of a player
of his caliber, Minnesota will be a mere shell of last year's team.

I'm not trying to ridicule Warwick's suggestion, I'm just not sure that it
represents the best possible solution on teams without a clearcut player
deserved of "superstar" status.

Ryan