Jersey Red Promulgates On The Lockout & More - Celtics Mentioned

Scroll down for the lockout stuff...

                                Mon., Nov. 16, 1998

                                    Red's World

                               By KEN 'JERSEY RED' FORD
                               <snips>

               This was my first in-person Breeders' Cup and was truly
               one of the most phenomenal days I've ever spent!

               Up to this point, I thought the Kentucky Derby (I've
               been to the last eight in a row) was utopia, but when
               you have seven races, all of Derby proportions, it's the
               zenith!

               Naturally, was disappointing when Celtic Prides stable's
               The Groom Is Red did not win the $1 million juvenile,
               but when Pitino and I arrived, trainer Nick Zito said
               that they had "rolled" the track surface overnight and
               that would give a big edge to the speed horses, making
               very difficult for a "closer", like The Groom Is Red, to
               win. Brooklyn Nick was right on target as all the speed
               horses never looked back until late in the day.

               But, not to worry. The Groom came out of the race in
               great shape, and after a little rest, will start the
               journey to the Triple Crown races.

               As for my picks, if you bet the trifecta box of Da Hoss,
               Hawksley Hill and Labeeb that I gave you in the $1
               million Turf, you're $1,900 richer!

               Did I bet it? You nor my wife will never know.

               Here we go again, and why I bother is as ridiculous as
               the NBA lockout itself! But you folks keep on asking.
               This thing changes like the weather in New England.

               Last week I was optimistic and now, I'm very pessimistic
               and here's why:

               Last Friday, the league allowed the owners and coaches
               to speak to the players via conference calls. The owners
               are trying to convince the guys that a couple of agents
               are controlling the destiny of this game.

               Basically what these agents are doing is taking care of
               about 30-to-40 of the highest-paid players whose
               contracts they control and the more the Super Studs get
               paid the more they (the agents) get.

               As for the 350 other guys, the agents couldn't virtually
               "care less" about them and this is what the owners tried
               to convey.

               In the case of the Celtics, the message was delivered
               loud and clear to a core group of players by Celts owner
               Paul Gaston and coach Pitino.

               Without getting into everything I can tell you, the
               players' response was mixed with the union stance being
               backed solidly by a "few" of the guys.

               I am also hearing that if this thing gets to the point
               that there is 60 or less games remaining on what would
               have been the regular season, Commissioner David Stern
               "might" consider canceling the whole season. And he has
               a lot of support.

               But, as with the players, there are several owners who
               don't want that to happen. The next few weeks are
               critical.

               The problem is that while the league wants to meet often
               to bang out a deal, the players' guys are being very
               nonchalant, probably at the request of these greedy,
               selfish agents.

               As for me, I think Dennis Rodman was right on target
               when he said, "I'd like to see what these guys would do
               if they had to get a real job."

               As you know, I am "hooked" into this whole Mo Vaughn
               thing. And, once it's over I have a lot to tell you. But
               I will not breech any confidences between Mo and myself.

               I can tell you this, he is giving the Red Sox more of an
               opportunity then I would if I were wearing his cleats.
               As for those Sox, how about the sense of timing on
               Saturday. They announced a 15% ticket increase for next
               year.

               Mo's response to this was that if they don't sign for
               him, will Harrington and Duquette then rescind that
               hike? I don't think so!

               They have been treating the Fenway fans like the dirt
               around the mound for years, but they did finally step up
               to the plate with this $12 million per year for five
               years offer on Monday.

              <snip>
                         (c) 1998, The Herald News