Rumors.htm

   [INLINE]  [1] Please visit our sponsors.

                     [2]Click Here to Visit our Sponsor

                            CLICK THIS BANNER!-

                     My Banner deal has gotten better,

                     but I need more clicks to get it,

                     HELP ME OUT!- CLICK IT EVERYTIME!

   CAPTION: [INLINE]

                              [3]LOCKOUT TODAY!

                            [4]COLUMNS ARE DONE

                             [5]CHECK THEM OUT.

                            [6]FREE AGENTS in 98

                          [7]WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT!

   NEW INFO ADDED WILL BE IN A DIFFERENT COLOR
   (Updated 11/14)- [8] [LINK]   [9]LE FastCounter
   This Counter started at 10000 on 5/26/98

   A LOCKOUT COMMENT: Now, I have been a fan and player of the game for
   some time now,(alot more than my wife likes) and its true that I hate
   to sit out when we lose, and if I can't play for some time, I will
   take my ball and go home, because hey, I CAME TO PLAY!. The latest
   issue of Stupid meets Stupid was released today, and on the cover of
   this fictious magazine is David Stern shrugging his shoulders, while
   Billy Hunter takes his ball and goes home. On the playground this
   mentality works great, because you've got other things you can do, but
   when your trying to hammer out a deal that costs the Players $14
   million a game missed, you'd think the Players would have a gun to
   Billy's head, and make him sit down and work this out. The owners are
   ready to make a deal, just not a bad one. The players have to realize
   that the owners can't pay what they paid last year this year, thats
   why they opened the agreement up, get it in your f&8ckin' head,
   they're not paying 57%. The stupidity of this number makes my brain
   hurt. Its real simple they gave you a deal that was written under the
   pretense that you get 48% (the old agreement was made using the
   numbers of 48%), they didn't bitch when that number got to 53%, even
   though you were 5% above the number agreed (5% of $1.8 billion dollars
   is $90,000,000), but when that number got to 57% (which is
   $162,000,000 over the agreed price) they had to say whoa! thats just
   too much. The players believe that the owners should be paying them
   (the players) $1,026,000,000.00 a year (or $2,527,093.60 per player),
   and keeping $774,000,000.00 for themselves. Whats wrong with this
   picture? Hey, 50-50 sounds great to me. Now I know what your thinking
   jesus, with that much money who cares? If you were an owners this is
   the difference, if you took the players numbers you'd make
   $24,827,586.21 for your team, and pay out to your team $37,241,379.31,
   under the leagues deal your team would make $31,034,482.76 and payout
   $31,034,482.76 (or $2,216,748.77 per player.), doesn't that seem fair?
   Now these figures aren't exact, because some teams make more than
   others, but if you took the total cash made, and divided evenly,
   nobody losses under the NBA's deal. And the key point, NBA player will
   still be the highest paid atheltes on the planet! But can you belive
   that a deal isn't being talked about over ($310,344.83 per player), I
   have a solution, split the difference and the players sweep the
   floors, there's games to play.
   JUST A LITTLE SOMETHING TO KEEP YOU INTERESTED: Lately there have been
   some requests for whats on the trade horizons if we ever see a season,
   so here they are:
   LA Lakers: Are likely to trade Elden Campbell and possibly Eddie Jones
   for the right deal, Elden is out for sure, but they would like to get
   a serious small forward type to replace him, his starting spot will go
   to Kobe.
   The Heat: Are serious about Sprewell, and may do something stupid like
   PJ Brown and Mashburn to get him, but they want Tony Delk in the
   package, as they need a backup for Timmy.
   The Magic: Are likely to deal Johnny Taylor and one of their drafted
   centers to create some cap space to try and sign Ike Austin, it may
   workout that he gets resigned by the Clippers, then traded to the
   Magic, if it is done this way the Magic would still have the cap space
   to resign Derek Strong and maybe Cedric Ceballos or Dennis Scott.
   However, Derek Strong is not really happy that the Magic have not
   expressed an urgency to resign him after he took a substantially lower
   deal to stay in Orlando, he is likely to bolt if the Magic try and
   offer him a minimum type of deal or something that isn't high end.
   Penny Hardaway has been working the phones with the current free
   agents crop like he owns the team, trying to convince guys the Orlando
   is the place to be, he knows the only way he gets a monster deal is to
   win a Championship.
   The Mavericks: Are likely to keep most of there core intact, the Shawn
   Bradley rumors won't go away, but my sources say that Bradley could
   get dealt if he comes in badly out of condition, Nellie told him at
   the final meeting that if he didn't spend the summer trying to improve
   himself that he would deal him. Nellie publicly has said that Bradley
   is his guy, I think thats to keep his trade value intact, but the
   Hornets are desperate to move Anthony Mason, and Nellie and Mason love
   each other, so if a big guy can be factored in somehow, Dave Cowens
   thinks he can make Bradley a player. This is all hinged on whether
   Bradley worked this summer, in previous years he didn't even pick up a
   basketball in the off season.
   The Kings: They took a huge gamble on Webber, and they may look at
   moving him, if he can't be a game winner, the thoughts with the draft
   and the free agents their looking at is mobility, they want to play an
   uptempo game, and Webber thrives in the open floor, but his off court
   issues and his open abuse of the Kings and Sacramento may make his
   stay as a King short, especially if the Kings could move his monster
   contract to say the Lakers and land Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell,
   this was the package on the table last year for Mitch Richmond that
   got yanked at the last minute by Lakers owner Jerry Buss, and that's
   what started the whole Jerry West leaving thing. I think the lakers
   would have to move more than Campbell and Jones to get Webber, and I
   don't think the gym is big enough for Webber and Shaq's egos.
   The Celtics: The Walker issue is a tough one, a week before the draft
   the C's called a few teams and inquired about the trade value of
   Walker, they say they did this to gauge what they should offer him in
   his next contract, he thinks they are being cheap and wanted to trade
   him, so his loyalties have changed. The 1st thing Pitino did as the
   new GM is talk with Walker's mother who he knew from Walkers college
   days at UK, he expressed a desire to build they future championship
   Celtics teams around Walker, and that Antoine would be the next
   Michael Jordan and Pitino would make sure that he gets a great deal,
   and that he needed her help to convince Antoine to be reasonable and
   think about the whole team. Which worked, Antoine was talking about a
   lower deal, then this draft thing blew up, now he says $100 million
   period! The C's can't pay it, they went too many years of losing and
   the new arena although will be profitable in the coming years just
   doesn't make the cash to pay Walker $100 million, because if the pay
   him that then Mercer, and Anderson will want the same. So now the
   rumors start, Pat Riley was informed that the C's may have to trade
   Walker, and said point blank, any 4 players except Zo or Timmy and
   Cash. The Celtics need to keep Walker, that clear, but if they have to
   deal him, he gets dealt west so Rick won't have to face him 4 times a
   year.
   The Raptors: The Raps, have a serious issue in Charles Oakley, he
   doesn't want to be there, neither does Doug Christie, they have been
   adamant that staying in Toronto is not something they are prepared to
   do, Oakley talked about sitting out. So they may be forced to deal
   them. Recently reports of a deal with San Antonio and Golden State
   have surfaced and the more I work it the more it seems like a good
   fit, the deal goes like this San Antonio sends Sean Elliott to the
   Warriors for Sprewell, Elliot gets dealt to the Raptors for Christie,
   the Spurs send Purdue to the Warriors, who send Donyell Marshall to
   the Raptors for Oakley, who gets sent to the Spurs. This gives the
   Spurs a serious Power Forward in Oakley and the scorer they need in
   Spree, the Warrior solve their backup center issue in Perdue and tie
   down their scoring whole that Spree left in acquiring Spree, the
   Raptors get a good return in landing Marshall, and Elliott is supposed
   to be muchly improved after last seasons horrible showing, I would
   assume that some cash or draft choices will be necessary to get this
   done.
   Knicks: Need to move Chris Childs and Chris Mills, they are a waste of
   cash, Look for the Knicks to resign Charlie Ward, but to a decent 6th
   man type of contract. They are likely to move serious streaker John
   Starks, as a bonus to get Childs off their roster, they are likely to
   look at any serious offer, because they won't get it done with the
   group they have, the addition of Camby to the Knicks lineup may
   workout, he has been in the gym and some say he looks about 25 pounds
   heavier, and has the much needed size on his frame, if he can stay
   healthy?
   Nets: Are likely to deal Kendall Gill, he is a great player, but
   there's just not enough to go around, he had great numbers last year
   due to all the injuries the Nets had, but Coach Cal liked the post
   season and if moving Kendal gets him the piece that secures his
   playoff hopes, the deal gets done, teams like Cleveland or Houston
   could really use a guy like Kendal and with Bobby Sura on the block in
   Cleveland, and swap may be in order, but its unlikely that Cal trades
   him just to trade him, and I think alot depends on how well the
   resigning of Jayson Williams goes.
   Hornets: Are likely to dismantle the team, and rebuild, Rice is being
   greedy he may see a trade this year, but to a sucky team, Mason may
   see Dallas's locker room upclose, Vlade is gone, likely to Sacramento
   or the Clippers, Gieger wants to play in Boston, but may see Orlando
   just for the cash in it, Bobby Phillis stays, David Wesley stays, but
   other than that they team is up for grabs.

   WOULDN'T IT BE NICE TO HAVE A DEAL?: It doesn't appear that the Player
   want one, in an interview with the Associated Press, NBA commisioner
   David Stern laid it out: "I wouldn't say we were close to a deal, but
   we were on track. We were trying," Stern said, referring to the 8
   1/2-hour bargaining session Oct. 28 that followed a joint meeting of
   owners and players. "I thought since I had the owners in and the
   players in, it seemed to be a good time," Stern said. "I thought we
   were making progress, but it was clear that they were going to reject
   whatever number we were going to come up with." And so ended what
   Stern considered to be the one chance both sides had to bring a
   somewhat dignified end to their stalemate. "The question is not
   whether we'll cancel the season but whether we'll make a deal," Stern
   said, "because if we don't make a deal the season will not be played.
   They have told us that unless we are prepared to continue paying the
   same percentage that we're currently paying, then they are prepared to
   have the season canceled. So they haven't given the owners much of an
   option. They have thrown down a gauntlet. As far as I'm concerned, the
   enormity of the losses that we're suffering should require us to be
   negotiating now, but we just can't seem to get it done. We can't get
   to first  base. They said 'Don't even try if you're not going to come
   up way higher' (on the percentage)," Stern said. "That was the
   dilemma." The players have since said they won't return to the table
   until the owners are ready to give ground. And Hunter says many
   players and agents believe he has already put too many concessions on
   the table -- a luxury tax, escrow tax, reduction in annual salary cap
   increases and a lengthier rookie salary scale. "Those are all nice
   things," Stern said, "but they don't address the fundamental issue of
   what a fair split is. In fairness to them, those are different things
   that will try to achieve that result. But we did that under the old
   deal and the percentage (of revenues devoted to salaries) went from 52
   to 57. We were hoping that it wouldn't, but it did. So now we need
   something that tells us where we'll be. Period." Stern said the owners
   would stand to lose more than $400 million if the season was canceled,
   while the players would lose $1 billion in salaries. Whats next, the
   players believe the owners will budge and make the deal they (the
   Players) want. I have news, it ain't gonna happen.
   OLOWOKANDI MAY GOT TO EUROPE: The lockout lingers, as does the
   tempation to play in Europe, for the #1 overall pick in the 1998
   Draft. "It's an option I do have," says Olowokandi, a 7-foot center
   from the University of the Pacific who was drafted by the Los Angeles
   Clippers.  "It's dependent on the lockout going on a lot longer, maybe
   after  December if it's not lifted and there's little of the NBA
   season.  "The idea of playing in Europe wouldn't be a letdown. I would
   feel let down if I had no options. There are some people who have no
   options. I have to be thankful I do have options. It's not like I
   would be playing in Europe for three years. It's just looking out for
   myself in the short term." Bill Duffy, Olowokandi's agent, says a
   Turkish team and a couple of Italian teams are interested in
   Olowokandi. "My interest (in Europe) is based on a combination of
   things," Olowokandi says. "I can't remember the last time I had this
   much of a lapse in playing five-on-five. I know this is not
   basketball. After basketball season in college, I would look forward
   to the offseason. It was a time to relax, play pickup games and work
   on your game. After a while, you have enough of that and want to
   translate that into organized basketball. "The fact I haven't played
   five-on-five organized basketball for a while, that's one
   consideration. Another thing is going into the pro leagues, you want
   to measure yourself against guys in the pro game. Guys who feel like
   they've improved, they want to showcase the things they've been
   working on so all their offseason work doesn't seem like it's gone to
   waste." Finances are a secondary consideration. Olowokandi has an
   endorsement contract with Nike and a deal with a trading card company
   that helps him make ends meet. "I don't have a million-dollar budget,"
   he says. "I don't have a big home that I'm paying a mortgage on or a
   car that I'm paying on. I'm OK financially. If one spends wisely and
   comfortably, one can make do with that for a whole year.'' Olowokandi
   says that with his modest lifestyle, money is not a problem. "There
   are ways of making money, particularly for rookies who don't  have
   huge budgets like guys who've been in the league for a while. If you
   feel because you've been drafted, that obligates you to spend your
   money or live extravagantly, then obviously that's a problem."
   MALONE MAKES IT CLEAR: "I am tired of the posturing and jabbering back
   and forth, and I will go out on a limb and say, when the lockout is
   over with, I will make a demand to be traded," Malone said on the air.
   "I will say it right now, I have played my last game in Salt Lake
   City, and it's time for Karl to move on. There have been things done
   and said in Utah, and I don't really think I can play there anymore,"
   he
   said. "I'm almost sure I can't play there anymore. I would rather go
   somewhere else, and there's not a lot of places I can go to. I would
   love to have an opportunity to play with the Lakers, either when this
   lockout is over with or when I become a free agent."- Anybody think
   the Jazz'll trade Malone for Elden Campbell straight up? I know the
   Lakers would- What would you have to have to trade Malone? I'd take
   Elden Campbell, Eddie Jones, a #1 draft pick, and cash. But, I'd send
   Greg Ostertag too! Just to piss off Malone and Shaq.
   PLAYERS SAY OWNERS ARE HOLDING A NEW DEAL: The Players have met
   again!, and now say they beleive that David Stern is holding on to a
   new deal proposal, and is letting the players sweat a bit before
   giving it to them, the league denies any new deal is available,
   meanwhile, back in the batcave, the players are planning an exibition
   game that will be played in Las Vegas, featuring the 2 dream teams,
   with Micheal Jordan likey to be playing, if not playing he will coach.
   The Union says Showtime has expressed interest in televising the
   event, but Showtime has made no formal comments. This exibition game
   will be used to raise money for the Union, who will distribute these
   funds to the lower paid players that the lockout is affecting the
   most. Oh those poor underprivelaged superstars, where do I send my
   check? You know what my grandmother taught me, you save 10% of your
   paycheck, every week, that way when those greedy owners lock you out,
   then you won't have to worry about where your next meal comes from.
   HOW ABOUT A TRADE TO WET YOUR WISTLES: The Spurs still remain in the
   hunt for Latrell Sprewell. Reports surfaced again recently about a
   potential move
   with Toronto that would have involved a gang of players, apparently
   including Sean Elliott and Will Perdue to Toronto, some Raptors to
   Golden State, and Sprewell
   and perhaps Donyell Marshall to San Antonio.
   MAN IS MIAMI STRETCHING: Reminder that any speculation about player
   movement at this time is premature, of course, because labor
   negotiations between team owners and the players union could  place
   restrictions on trades and free-agent signings, and penalties for
   negiotating while locked out talking is just talk. That said, concerns
   about Pippen's health after back surgery this summer reportedly have
   prompted some teams to reconsider emptying the vault for the
   seven-time All-Star and one of the NBA's 50 greatest players of all
   time. Should the money Pippen seeks not be there when the lockout
   ends, an option for him could be to re-sign with the Bulls for a year
   or two with the stipulation that he be traded. Pippen, according to
   the source, would need reassurances from the team he is traded to so
   that once his contract expires, he would have to be handsomely
   compensated. That would be no problem for Heat owner Micky Arison. The
   only thing is Pippen's salary likely would be limited somewhat because
   of probable restrictions on high-end salaries in a new collective
   bargaining agreement. Because of rifts with management, Pippen is not
   expected to re-join Chicago even if Michael Jordan returns. If the
   Bulls could get something back in a trade, it could be better than
   losing him with no compensation, which would be the case if Pippen
   left via free agency. As far as a trade, Chicago likely would seek a
   player with a contract that expires after this season -- if there is
   one -- or after the following season. That would give the Bulls some
   salary-cap relief. A draft pick could also be sought by the Bulls in a
   package for Pippen.  The only Heat players whose contracts expire in
   the next two years are Dan Majerle (1999), Terry Mills (1999) and Tim
   Hardaway (2000).  If Pippen would agree to a sign-and-trade deal,
   there likely would be other teams willing to make a deal who might get
   into the mix and diminish Miami's chances. But the source said the
   Bulls may be willing to receive minimalcompensation.  As part of their
   proposals for a new labor pact, NBA owners want to abolish the
   sign-and-trade policy because it is a loophole that allows teams to
   violate the salary cap. The players union has said it will not accept
   a deal without the measure because it wants to retain player
   flexibility.  So what are the chances Pippen will be wearing a Heat
   uniform? Maybe about as good as good as the lockout ending this
   weekend. But you never know, in an even playing field where would you
   want to play? If every team can offer the same money, it comes down to
   whos got the best chance of winning and who's got the best weather.
   PLAYERS DON'T HAVE THE FACTS: After speaking with his player's, Suns
   owner Jerry Colangelo says the players don't have all the facts of the
   new deal. Among the players Colangelo has spoken with are Danny
   Manning, Antonio McDyess, Jason Kidd, Rex Chapman, Horacio Llamas,
   Clifford Robinson and draft picks Pat Garrity and Toby Bailey. "The
   purpose, obviously, was to share information with the players
   regarding what the proposition is all about," Colangelo said. "It's
   informative. And it has been apparent that a lot of the information
   has not been shared within the union. This isn't meant to attack the
   union or break the union. It's just important for these individuals,
   who rely so much on representation to tell them what's happening, to
   be made aware of the circumstances, the offer that's on the table and
   all the ins and outs of the offer." " You hear about what's going on
   with their side from the  Players Association, and it's not quite the
   same as hearing it come from Jerry," Manning said. "They could say
   exactly the same thing, but it's just different hearing it come from
   the horse's mouth.  "I'd be encouraged if Jerry was handling the
   negotiations because something would have been done by now."
   THE MAGIC WILL HOLD VOLUNTARY MEETING: Management of the Orlando Magic
   have been contacting players this week, inviting them to a meeting
   Thursday to hear the details of the proposal the NBA has given their
   union. The Magic's meeting Thursday will be conducted by Bob Vander
   Weide, team president, and John Gabriel, general manager. Several
   players are expected to attend among them are Penny Hardaway, Bo
   Outlaw, Nick Anderson, Horace Grant, Johnny Taylor and Jason Lawson.
   Darrell Armstrong is expected to make the the trip from Atlanta for
   Thursday. Danny Schayes, the Magic's player representative, will
   likely be in New York and could arrive in Orlando by Thursday.
   Meanwhile, Derek Strong, who resides in Los Angeles, won't attend the
   voluntary meeting, siting he felt informed and doesn't plan the trip..
   NEGIOTATING COMMITEE MEETS: The NBA players negiotating commitee is
   meeting to discuss wether they should resume talks with the league.
   WHAT? I would think that they would know the answer by now! The
   opposing sides haven't met since last Friday, and no new formal talks
   are scheduled. The union feels the league is trying to divide the
   union by appealing to the shrinking middle class of players, while the
   owners want to publicize the improvements they've offered (higher
   minimum salaries for veterans, big increase in the old $1 million
   exception) to the majority of players. The sides have yet to agree on
   a solid framework for splitting $2 billion in annual revenues. The
   biggest hangup is over what percentage will go to players' salaries.
   Players want 60 percent, while owners have offered a 50-50 split. Last
   season players received 57 percent, which allowed the owners to toss
   out the final three seasons of the collective bargaining agreement and
   impose a lockout. [Excuse me this is nuts... If any of my employees
   told me they deserved 60% of the profits, I'd have them shot!- Larry
   get me my rifle.....]. The partnership between players and owners that
   led to the establishment of the salary cap in the early 1980s began
   falling apart in 1990 when the players and owners clashed over the
   reporting of revenues that fight fostered an atmosphere of mistrust
   that has grown in the years since and can be seen in the current
   standoff in which the owners insist the league is unprofitable and the
   players do not believe them.
   RASHEED TO OPEN HOOPS JOINT IN PHILLY: The Portland Trail Blazers
   power forward announced over the weekend that he was planning to build
   a 6,000-square-foot theme restaurant,  "Hoops Cafe," with the
   headquarters for the Rasheed Wallace Foundation on the second floor of
   the proposed four-story complex on Cecil B. Moore Avenue at 16th
   Street. The complex also will include Wallace's Jazz/Blues bar, a post
   office, and a jazz/blues memorabilia lounge. It will house a number of
   commercial tenants. He has considered starting his own line of sports
   apparel, getting into commercial real estate, and building a recording
   studio. In September 1997, he signed a six-year extension to his
   Blazers contract that will pay him somewhere between $75 million and
   $80 million.
   McDYESS GOES ELSEWHERE: Antonio McDyess, one of the most sought-after
   players in the upcoming free agent market, will have a new agent
   negotiating his next contract whenever the NBA lockout ends. McDyess
   fired agent Arn Tellem and replaced him with Tony Dutt, who also
   represents Shawn Kemp. Under the agreement, McDyess would have been
   expected to get a seven-year contract worth about $120 million. Under
   the owners' latest proposal, he would qualify instead for a maximum
   salary equal to 25 percent of the salary cap (about $8 million), with
   annual raises of 10 percent. If he signed a six-year deal, it would be
   worth about $61 million. Tellem, who along with Falk was singled out
   last week by Stern as holding up a new collective bargaining
   agreement, did not return several phone calls.
   MALONE GETS THE AXE: Utah forward Karl Malone, landed his own radio
   show, with radio personality Vic "The Brick" Jacobs. On his first
   broadcast, Malone said he wouldn't do such a show unless it was
   carried in Utah, where he has played for 13 years. KALL-910 AM, which
   had carried Jazz forward Karl Malone's Los Angeles-based show in Salt
   Lake City since shortly after its inception two weeks ago, has dropped
   the two-hour program after Malone's agent demanded the station start
   paying for it. Dwight Manley (Malone's new agent) called KXTA radio in
   Los Angeles, the station from which the show originates, and demanded
   that KALL pay for the broadcast. Malone's rate would be $500 an hour,
   or $1,000 per show. Station manager Lee Douglas said "We were a little
   surprised. We weren't prepared to pay simply because we hadn't
   budgeted for it, we hadn't planned for it and, frankly, we weren't
   willing to do that. As far as decisions go, it's a pretty simple one.
   It's a lot of fun and he's a character," Douglas said. "I'm sorry to
   see him go."
   NBA TO LET TEAMS TALK TO PLAYERS: In a new direction, NBA commisioner
   David Stern says that he is authorizing the teams to designate one
   person, to become completely knowledgeable of the latest deal, to
   answer questions and reach out directly to the players and let them
   know what the exact term of the deal means to them, in hopes that if
   the player really understand the latest deal, they may be more willing
   to negiotate. Stern had this to say about the change, 'We're going to
   send a communication to our teams and tell them that as long as they
   designate one person and that person understands the proposal, they
   will be able to talk to players who call and answer questions,'' Stern
   says. ''It is important that this not be viewed as either
   undermining the union or disparaging our players because that's the
   last thing that we're interested in doing here.'' Allowing teams to
   talk to players about the collective bargaining agreements creates the
   possibility for them to informally talk about contracts with players
   who are their own free agents, which they aren't supposed to do.
   "...IF I RULED THE WORLD..." It seems thats the song that is running
   through the players heads, because on the eve of so close, we must now
   say too far. The Players and the NBA met in the shortest meeting yet
   as both sides walked away mad, it appears that the owners know what
   they're doing, in the latest encarnation of a deal the owners proposed
   a deal that would greatly improve the masses at the expense of the
   superstars and the agents have started to step in. The league had
   offered increased minimum salaries for veterans, including a $1
   million minimum for 10-year veterans, and a gradual phase-in of the
   union's proposal for an average-salary exception to replace the old $1
   million exception, so instead of a million ever two seasons, it would
   be $2.6 million every two seasons. The owners also want to establish a
   maximum salary equal to 25 and 35 percent of the salary cap. Meaning
   no one player can make more than 35% of the cap, (geez doesn't that
   sound familar...), the agents of the superstars are freaking out,
   because they make the most money from the superstars, NBA Comish David
   Stern had this to say as he left the meetings "I believe, with good
   reason, that agents for the high-end players have now declared
   themselves, and they've decided that any deal that has a limitation
   that would affect perhaps 30-40 players, even though it would benefit
   the great mass of our 400 players, is a deal that doesn't deserve to
   get done. That to me is what seems to have changed the atmosphere of
   these talks since they ended last Wednesday," Stern said. "I believe
   the people we met with today would like to make a deal, Whether
   they'll be allowed to or not is going to be another issue," Stern
   said. The league has already canceled the first month of the season,
   although many agents and union officials believe Stern is bluffing
   when he threatens to cancel the entire season. Asked point blank
   Wednesday if he'd really do it, Stern avoided a "yes" or "no" answer.
   "It's not about whether we cancel the season," he said. "You can keep
   counting (the canceled games), and at some point, based upon the
   negotiating posture of the union, it will not be possible to play the
   season." As Stern concluded his comments on a sidewalk outside a
   Manhattan skyscraper, several fire trucks came roaring down the street
   with sirens blaring. "Sounds like the agents are attacking," he said.
   "I have to go."
   ZO HAS KNEE SURGERY: Miami center Alonzo Mourning underwent knee
   surgery to remove a bone spur from his right knee, Zo missed about 22
   games last season following surgery on his left knee, although he is
   expected under normal circumstances to be healthy by Dec. 25th, Zo
   will miss the season opener regardless of injury as a result of the
   Larry Johnson fight incident last season (doesn't that seem so long
   ago...)
   ROCKETS DRAFT CHOICE MAY HEAD TO ITALY: Houston Rockets draft pick
   Bryce Drew may head to Europe if the lockout drags on. "I've already
   talked about that a little," said Drew "I wish we knew if we had a
   deadline or knew what was going on because if we knew for sure it was
   over (the NBA season), I'm sure a lot of us would be looking right
   away." Drew ranks sixth in NCAA history with 364 career 3-point
   baskets. He averaged 19.8 and 19.9 in his junior and senior year and
   averaged five assists per game last season.
   LAWYERS MEET, BUT NO PLAYERS: Attorney representing both the NBA and
   its players will hold meetings today in the ongoing effort to screw up
   my Christmas, but both parties have something to talk about, the sides
   have begun feeling pressures from their backers, namely the TV deals
   have been an increasingly serious issue with sources saying that NBC
   will not make payments if they lose programming, and that advertisers
   that are regulars in many of the NBA arenas have chosen not to renew
   ad deals until a deal is made, and a very big NBA sponsor has made it
   clear that a long labor fight will force them to put those ad dollars
   somewhere else, and not in NBA pockets. Both sides have agreed to a
   framework which is a good thing, but the hardest part of any deal is
   getting the numbers worked out, but here's where we stand as of today:
   The owners want to pay 50 percent (a movement off their previous
   demand for 48) and the players want to receive 60 percent (a move from
   63 percent). If the sides split the difference, it would give the
   players 55 percent of revenues. But the players received 57 percent
   last season, and there's a feeling among many agents that the union
   shouldn't drop to 55 percent because it has already given the owners
   numerous concessions. The owners have been asking for a maximum salary
   equal to 30 percent of the salary cap (about $9.3 million next
   season), and revised that demand last week by setting $12 million as
   the maximum salary for players who have been in the league 10 years or
   more and $8 million for players with six years' or less of experience.
   The owners also moved off their demand for the elimination of the $1
   million exception, which allowed every team, even if over the cap, to
   sign an extra player for $1 million once every two years. They
   proposed an exception starting at $1.5 million and growing to $2
   million in three years, while the union has stuck to its demand for an
   exception available every season for the amount of the average salary,
   which was $2.6 million last season.
   LAKERS TRY TO KEEP A TEAM TOGETHER: In a shocking note to me, LA
   Lakers center Shaquile O'Neal has sent letters to all of his teammates
   expressing an urgency to getting together for some organized workouts,
   even offering to rent the gym that the Lakers use for practices,
   bringing in point guard Derek Fisher to help, the two are begining to
   show that the lakers may have something good coming: "I want this to
   be my year," said O'Neal "[The lockout has] alienated the fans
   somewhat. But once the Forum opens back up, the fans will be back on
   my side. This is my year to take over." Because the players are spread
   across the country and have differing contract situations, the
   response wasn't dramatic -- Derek Fisher, Eddie Jones and Rick Fox
   apparently were the only players to immediately agree. Said O'Neal of
   Fisher: "He's going to be the starting point guard -- I've been
   telling him where I want the ball, how I want the ball, when to get me
   the ball. Me and him, we're going to be the center-point guard punch
   that we need." Fisher said "I think right now, he's looking for kind
   of a partner in crime. Which I feel very comfortable working
   alongside him. I think it's a natural transition for me. "I tried to
   take the back seat in my first two years, but now, because of the
   circumstances that have unfolded, I'm in a position where it's my
   responsibility to myself and to the team to be more of a leader. I
   don't think I'll have any problems stepping up." Fisher said he has
   talked with Sean Rooks, Elden Campbell, Tony Battie, Lue, Corie Blount
   and Kobe Bryant's father. Campbell is expected to be traded whenever
   the lockout ends and apparently has not shown any interest in working
   out with Laker players in any organized fashion.
   JAMISON AND CARTER PLAY THE WAITING GAME: What do two Tar Heels do
   when they get drafted into the NBA and then there's no NBA, well
   Antawn Jamison is still hanging around the Smith Center in Chapel
   Hill, watching, wondering and
   waiting and Vince Carter is banging around a few golf balls, getting
   ready for his charity golf tournament this weekend in Daytona Beach,
   Fla. Both aren't hurting for cash, after signing good shoe deals
   Carter a 10-year deal with Puma and Jamison a five-year contract with
   Adidas. Each said the shoe companies have fronted them an undisclosed
   amount of cash. Carter moved back to his hometown from Chapel Hill
   within the last week to avoid distractions. He's been lifting weights
   with football players from Bethune-Cookman, and playing pickup games
   with friends from high school. Jamison, who scored 1,974 points in his
   three seasons with the Tar Heels, has stayed close to the North
   Carolina program. He lifts in the Smith Center and finds a pickup game
   here and there. Both say the lockout is more of a mental strain, and
   that keeping motivated is the hardest part. "I didn't go through the
   rookie orientation, I didn't get a chance to go to preseason camp, do
   preseason games, things that every rookie goes through. I didn't get a
   chance to go through all the heartaches and all the pains early on"
   said Jamison "Not only for myself, but for all the rookies, I think
   it's going to be extra hard this year because we don't get those
   opportunities. As soon as the lockout is over with it is just like
   that. Mentally, we've got to be very prepared for this because the
   veterans are not going to give us any slack." Nice to see the guys
   aren't just sleeping late everyday.
   THE LEAGUE CANCELED MORE GAMES: After several days of talks the league
   announced the canceling of the remaining games for November, bringing
   the total number of games left for each team down to 68 from the
   regular 82 game schedule, but the League also made mention that they
   may consider "make up' or recaputered games if a deal can be worked
   out, among the players and owners at the talks was a very vocal
   Michael Jordan, who asked of Stern and the owners why escalating
   values of franchises were not being factored into the revenue
   projections. Jordan was very clear why he was there : "I have an
   obligation as a veteran player," Jordan said, "to see that the players
   of tomorrow have the same benefits and opportunities that I have. Dr.
   J and Elgin Baylor and Oscar Robertson and all those guys fought for
   this collective bargaining agreement and the Larry Bird exception and
   the freedom to
   have flexibility. I'm obligated to make sure the other players have
   the same opportunity," The players and owners have finally reached
   some level of a bargin, but the excat terms and shape of the deal may
   be far away, the principals of the deal on the table are a good mix of
   what the players want and what the owners want, in that for the first
   two or three years, there will be a luxury tax on the highest
   contracts. If that system did not reduce the amount of revenues  being
   devoted to salaries, a modified hard cap would be implemented under
   which players would put 10 percent of their salaries into an escrow
   fund, this fund would be returned to the owners if total salary
   numbers exceed a designated percentage. Player's Union President
   Patrick Ewing was more optomistic than most "All we have to do now is
   agree on the numbers," Ewing said.- Yeah, Right.....
   LOSS OF A FAN: I have been told by many of the fans that send me mail,
   that they as loyal fans are turned off and hurt that the league so
   many of us have followed and held to a higher state than maybe we
   should have, has hung them out to dry. Some feel like they should
   leave the players in the same situation they are leaving us, and thats
   with out a game, see without the fans there is no NBA, hey, I know
   there will always be basketball, but who really wants to run out and
   buy another MJ jearsey today. With no fans the players get no checks,
   the teams get no checks and eventually theres no NBA, now we all know
   that once this debacle is done, the the PR machine and sites like this
   one start showing you a thousand reason everyday to get back into
   those arenas and shell out that cash and get those starving young
   players fed (thats a joke) that we'll all go back like the sports
   starved cattle that we are. But today, sadly enough, I have to say The
   NBA has lost a fan..... But I'll be back tomorrow and maybe I'll feel
   differently.- PS- Something went screwy with my e-mail yesterday, so
   please resend anything that may have been sent- Sorry about that......
   THE STUPID GET STUPIDER: In the on going saga of the stupid and
   stupider, the NBA players met in Las Veags yesterday to talk about
   their position, in the biggest show of unity since the introduction of
   dancing girls, the NBA player vowed never to accept a hard cap. With
   plans for paid exibition games, pay-per view events, and global
   exibition games in the planning stages. The Players Union is giving
   out check for $25,000 from licensing deals made by the association,
   the higher profile (paid) players have said they will forgoe these
   checks this season, in order to have those funds divided up among the
   lower paid players. The gathering was marked by the notables, more
   than the masses, among those who made their presence known was Michael
   Jordan, Karl Malone, Shaquille O'Neal, and top draft choice Michael
   Olowokandi.  The association's basic stance is that they feel the
   owners are not trying to negiotate, they keep coming back with the
   same concept, HARD CAP, and that's not acceptable to them. The Players
   also heard from baseball's union head, and football's union head:
   Baseball told them to stick together, Football told them to decertify,
   and they'll get what they want- (Baseball has the luxury tax, and
   Football has a hard cap.)- The Association plans to ask for a formal
   bargaining session, in which as many as 100 players will want to
   attend, the league has said they will talk to anyone. On a Personal
   Note: Do the player really belive they can win this fight? Taking this
   stance of we won't agree to anything, is bad business, you never call
   your hand. The smart things to have done is walk in to the next
   meeting and say hard cap? Maybe, what will you give us for it- A Hard
   cap with a signing bonus like footballs, works- Bad Leadership, Bad
   guidance. I am begining to agree with the agent that said I don't want
   to be on the bus with Ewing and Mourning when it goes over the cliff,
   they are clearly not equiped to negiotate this kind of deal, they have
   too many personal attachments to be fair to both sides. I guy who
   makes $19 million a season cannot sypathize with the problems of a guy
   who makes $330,000. Because they guy who makes $19 will have a job for
   a while, where in the $330,000 guy can be cut at anytime.
   LAKER LARRY SUMS IT UP: One of this sites most outspoken columnists,
   spelled it out as clear as anyone could: "WHEN are the players going
   to WAKE THE HELL UP and realize that they are not going  to win this
   fight?  And their agents are not going to win it for them, either.
   WHEN are they going to WAKE UP and realize that the only smart way out
   of this thing now is through BARGAINING with the owners? ..... If they
   resume bargaining soon (like Friday or next  Monday), they MIGHT find
   the owners in an agreeable and charitable mood.  The owners don't want
   to keep the league shut down.  They want to make a deal.  But the
   longer the players drag this thing out, the worse the deal they're
   going to get in the end.  If they choose to decertify, the owners are
   going to get their revenge in the end.... "
   Check out [10]Larry's Column for the full scoop!
   WHAT ARE THEY THINKING: The Players are now talking about decertifying
   the union.  By decertifying, the union would remove itself as the
   official bargaining agent for the players. A court injunction would
   then be sought to end the lockout. If an injunction was granted, the
   owners would lift the lockout, open camps and impose new work rules (A
   deal made without negiotating, imposed by the owners, in which they
   could put in a hard cap ). And if the new rules were more restrictive
   than the old ones, the players would be expected to file an antitrust
   suit against the league seeking treble damages,which would make things
   even uglier. NBA players who currently have long-term contracts might
   benefit from a decertification move, since they would immediately
   start collecting their salaries. But current free agents and players
   who have been in the league less that three years would be hurt
   because they would be forced to sign under the rules of a new system
   and then would have to wait several years to find out if they would
   win damages.
      What is the damage here, you tried your hand, and you lost, you
   have no inherant right to a great deal. You were given a open book,
   and you took advantage of it, you the players have noone to blame but
   yourselves, now is the time to stop talking to each other, and start
   talking to the NBA. They will make a good deal with you, not a great,
   and certainly not one that favors you the players, but you'll get
   paid, more than any other athlete in the world. WHATS YOUR DAMAGE!
   DAVID STERN LETS THE UNION KNOW: If its not clear, let me clarify, in
   wining the ruling over contracts, the League is really under no
   obligation to extend anything to the players, they could draw a line
   in the sand that says HARD CAP all over it, and the players can either
   take it starve out the season, inside sources say as much as 20% of
   the current player base is living paycheck to paycheck, most as a
   result of bad management, a prolonged lockout will force many of these
   private problems into a public light, in a show of a continued desire
   to get a deal done, David Stern sent a letter to Union chief Billy
   Hunter, outlining the latest deal from the owners and asked that it be
   given to every playerat the meetings this week. "I can tell you,"
   Stern said. "This union leadership stymies us. Russ (Granik, deputy
   commissioner) and I, for something over 50 years combined, we've been
   able to negotiate with every other combination of executive directors
   and presidents in the history of this union. And lawyers. And somehow,
   we are unable to have a conversation that gets us any negotiation.
   Unfair labor practice charges, arbitration, decertification, antitrust
   suits don't get it done," Stern said. "This (Monday's arbitration
   ruling) should have been a signal that we return to the table today.
   Instead, the players are being told by their union to miss another
   week of work."
   VISTOR LINKS: If you have an NBA site that you'd like listed in [11]my
   links section, I have a few rules: 1- IF YOU WANT ME TO LIST YOU, YOU
   MUST HAVE ME LISTED FIRST! 2- YOU NEED TO SEND ME YOUR URL
   INFORMATION, via E-MAIL- I will do small graphics as a links provided
   its not excessive!
   OWNERS STILL GETTING PAID: As many of you may know the owners expected
   this kind of fight last year when they negiotated their new TV deals
   with NBC and Turner sports, in the new deal the owners are still
   getting paid as though there was basketball being played.  I have
   heard many thoughts that this money would have to be repaid to NBC
   which is not the case, the way it works is that NBC and Turner bought
   the rights to a specific number of games, and the new deal states that
   in the event that games are lost that the league would still be paid
   and NBC and Yurner would have the right to add the missing games, into
   their schedule for the remaining years of the deal- In other words,
   lets say NBC gets 30 games a season, and 10 are missed, then over the
   next 3 years they can add 10 games to their schedule any way they'd
   like, they could add them all in one year or break them up over all 3
   remaining years, whatever they want. Ad revenue is greater each year,
   so for NBC missing 10 games this year, will mean they make more next
   year, and thats why your not hearing NBC screaming get a deal done,
   but I think as Christmas gets closer and the threat of no programing
   may make NBC rethink its position.
   DAVID STERN SAYS IT BEST: "The players don't seem to realize they
   can't get that money back. It's gone, gone forever, and they seem to
   think that's not the case," After the dust settled from Feericks
   decision, the owners are likey to be more strengthened that ever
   before, and the Players who are now faced with a reality that the
   owners can sit on their hands for alot longer than most of the players
   can, have some hard choices to make, the NBA has made in my opion a
   good starting deal, and that many of the players can get the deals
   they want through free agency, and the tax sytem for the Larry Bird
   exception, if they can get the league to raise a few item just a bit:
   Increase the Larry Bird tax cap from $2.6 to an even $4.00 million,
   increase the tax exempt raise from 5% to 10%, and include pot to the
   banned substance list, give owners the right of first refusal on
   rookie deals only, and get it done!- Under my deal most top level
   players could look for this kind of structure.

                                PLAYER GETS

                                 OWNERS TAX

                                TOTAL  COST

                                $6.0 Million

                                $1.0 Million

                                $7.0 Million

                                $12 Million

                                $8.0 Million

                               $20.0 Million

                                $20 Million

                                $32 Million

                               $52.0 Million

   This sytem does exactly what it is supposed to do. Keep players from
   getting or expecting a $20 million dollar deal.! Most teams will pay a
   player $7.0 million per season, and this system only applies to Larry
   Bird free agents, as a real free agent all you have to worry about is
   cap space!
   THE PLAYERS ARE SETTING UP: Avery Johnson knows what he would do if
   he were an NBA owner. Given the fact that the owners won a key
   arbitration ruling Monday, he'd use the hammer. "Yeah, they should,"
   the San Antonio Spurs guard said. "If I were in their shoes, I'd be
   using it. They probably will and they will probably come out and say
   if we don't have a deal by this (a certain) time, they will cancel the
   season. They'll use everything in their power. That's what you do when
   you're negotiating." "I'm not surprised because the owners put so much
   pressure on the arbitrator," said Robert Horry of the Los Angeles
   Lakers. "That shows you how the justice system is, it's all screwed
   up."(What does this have to do with the justice system!) "I don't know
   how it's going to affect us until we go to Las Vegas," Magic guard
   Penny Hardaway said. "I think (the season) is more in jeopardy now
   because the players are upset they didn't win. We didn't put a lot of
   trust in winning the ruling. But to take just the guaranteed players
   and put the rest of us out would not be fair either."
   FEERICK RULES IN FAVOR OF OWNERS: In a big victory for NBA owners, an
   arbitrator on Monday rejected the union's grievance , siting that the
   NBA had the right not to pay the 226 players with guaranteed contracts
   during the lockout. The ruling clearly strengthened the owners'
   bargaining position by removing the prospect of them being forced to
   pay more than $700 million in salaries to the players they have barred
   from work. In public statement by the NBA lead counsel, the NBA had
   this to say: "We are pleased with the arbitrator's ruling," NBA chief
   legal officer Jeffrey Mishkin said. "Unfortunately, it does not get us
   any closer to a deal with the union's leadership. Only negotiations
   will end our current impasse and lead to a settlement of our dispute.
   This is yet another defeat for the union's strategy of litigation
   instead of negotiation." There are no new meetings scheduled this
   week, as the Players Union has scheduled meetings to discuss their
   position with its entire membership in Las Vegas on Thursday, and the
   union's agents advisory committee will meet with the union's
   leadership in Las Vegas on Wednesday.
   MJ RIPS THE YOUNG GUYS: In an interview, Michael Jordan, let his
   thoughts be known on some of the younger players coming into the
   league sighting that he felt the younger guys with their monster egos,
   aren't letting coaches help them get better. And at a recent
   basketball clinic that the North Carolina players were more interested
   in driving his car downtown and going shopping than learning or
   working hard. "They won't let coaches tell them how to improve,"
   Jordan said "A player who stays in college for four years is the
   player who's going to be good.""The problem is that a lot of the young
   kids look at my success too much and they think they can take
   shortcuts to get it," Jordan said "(The UNC players) They were the
   worst I ever had," Jordan said. "They wanted my car to go downtown and
   go shopping. They didn't want to do any work. They thought that since
   I was a North Carolina guy, I'd give them a free ride."
   UNION SAYS TAX IS A CAP: Players Union director Billy Hunter said "Our
   intent was to address the concern of the superstar contracts, like the
   Kevin Garnett contract that everyone points to. The tax they've come
   back with impacts the entire system,.. It appears at a quick glance to
   be a step backward ... more onerous than the proposal we received from
   them Sept. 24," Hunter said. "It may be disguised in terms of a tax,
   but it is in fact a hard cap." According to the league's projections,
   their tax would have no impact on 85 percent of future player
   contracts. But Hunter claimed it would be a tax on all contracts, not
   just "Larry Bird exception" contracts as the league said, and would
   cause 90-95 percent of the players to accept the league minimum
   salary. The league also included an exemption for any player who
   accepts a Bird contract with a 5 percent raise. Such a rule would
   allow the Chicago Bulls to re-sign Michael Jordan for about $36
   million next season without having to pay any tax. "The proposal made
   by the union would have resulted in a tax on only two of the
   approximately 400 contracts in effect last season," NBA Deputy
   Commisioner Russ Granik said. "We analyzed it every which way, and
   like the union's other proposals, it would have increased -- not
   decreased -- the percentage of league revenue paid to players.
   However, in the spirit of compromise we have attempted to fashion a
   system that uses a tax, instead of a hard salary cap, even though
   we're skeptical about the ability of any tax system to keep player
   salaries at a set percentage of league revenue." IT IS BECOMING CLEAR
   THAT THE UNION BELEIVES THEY CAN GET THE OLD DEAL BACK- In my take on
   this situation, it is very clear that the players believe they can get
   the old deal back, just by saying no to the leagues offers, I have a
   reality check for them- HEY BONEHEADS- The old system wasn't getting
   it done for the owners, they have now pissed away 99 games, they are
   not going to take the old deal back now. You will have to concede that
   the owners are going to cap your astronomical salaries, so with that
   in mind, do you want a hard cap or a tax cap, the tax cap will still
   get you more money than a hard cap. But your big concern is that
   "Gettin too greedy" clause, that makes you have to police your own
   greed, you see the owners learned from the last mistake, that you guys
   want a deal that makes the owners accountable for what you want, but
   they have a trick up their sleeve, if you get too greedy again, a hard
   cap kicks in and slams your party to a stop!- Take the Tax, get a deal
   done.... The tax only affects the superstars, the regular guys get a
   good deal, with no cap, if your a superstar now, you get a 5% increase
   and no tax, its a smart system, go back to the table and tell them to
   raise the minimum nontaxable raise from 5% to 10%, and raise the tax
   cap base from $2.6 million to $4.5 million and get a deal done!
   ITS NOT A DEAL, BUT A START: The NBA owners agreed in part to the
   player solution, involving a luxury tax, and in a counterproposal the
   league changed a few things: The PLAYERS offered a luxury tax on any
   contract over $18 million, which would require the owner of the team
   to pay an extra penalty on Bird Exemption contract amount over $18
   million. The OWNERS offered a  tax to be levied on any contract signed
   under the Bird exception for more than $2.6 million, which was the
   average salary in the 1997-98 season.The tax rate would be 50 percent
   of the amount over $2.6 million for all contracts worth up to $10
   million annually. For contracts worth between $10 million and $15
   million, the tax would be 100 percent, between $15 and $20 million it
   would be 150 percent, and for contracts worth more than $20 million
   the rate would be 200 percent. In simple terms if you use your Larry
   Bird exception, and sign a deal worth say $10 million, which is $7.4
   million more than 2.6 million, the team giving you the contract would
   not only have to pay you the extra $7.4, they'd have to pay the league
   a tax of $3.7 million which is 50% of the overage, if you got a $15
   million dollar a year deal under the Bird Exception, the team you got
   the deal from would have to pay in addition to your salary, a tax of
   $12.4 million dollars per season. Now keep in mind that this tax only
   applies to Larry Bird Exception players the rest of the league and
   players would have to meet the current salary cap. There is a built in
   exception. If a Bird Righted player agrees to a new contract, with
   only a 5% raise, the tax is waived, regardless of that contract
   amount: so when MJ wants to play the Bulls can offer him a new deal
   for $37.8 million, because thats a 5% raise from last year, and they
   pay no tax. And what would Kevin Garnett's contract cost the the
   T-wolves under this agreement, well KG would get a cool $22 million,
   but the Wolves would have to payout, $60.8 Million, (KG's $22, and the
   tax would be $38.8 million {200% of the $19.4 over the base}) Who here
   thinks KG is worth $60.8 million a year????
   KNICKS OWNERS SPEAKS OUT: Dispite the NBA gag order, the Knick's
   president Dave Checketts, has some words for the union "We must keep
   them out as long as it takes," he said. "If we learned anything from
   baseball (the strike of 1994-95), it is that we must keep them out as
   long as it takes. They didn't hold them out long enough," Checketts
   said. "Even though we'd like to say we learned from baseball -- what
   they did to the World Series and when they went through this long
   labor situation, it ruined the sport," Checketts said at a breakfast
   symposium in New York. "It ruined fan interest. People were angry at
   the game. But the reality is, once they had incurred that damage, the
   mistake they made was coming back too soon, perhaps, and not getting a
   labor agreement that would carry them into the next century." To say
   the Union wasn't happy to hear about this they issued this statement:
   "Our players desperately want to play ball. The fans want us to play.
   But apparently the owners want to shut down, according to Mr.
   Checketts. It's unfortunate and very apparent from his remarks that
   the NBA and its owners will stop at nothing short of breaking the
   union and the morale of the players. Our most recent proposal was
   extremely fair, and submitted with the intent of bringing compromise,"
   The Union is now facing a new issue, the agent Stephen Woods, that
   represents Kevin Willis and Willie Burton filed a grievance with the
   National Labor Relations Board accusing the union of mismanaging
   negotiations with the NBA. "They're still using rotary phones at the
   union," Woods said. "I don't think (union president) Patrick Ewing and
   (executive board member) Alonzo Mourning are equipped to make a $10
   billion deal. I don't want to be on the bus going over the cliff with
   Patrick Ewing and Alonzo Mourning driving it."
   OWNERS DO THE MATH: The Players proposed a deal that would add a
   "Luxury Tax", meaning if a team wanted to pay a player a huge deal,
   the owner would have to pay a tax on the percentage over a set cap,
   their deal set the cap at $18 million, which means any contract over
   $18 million would require the owner to pay a 50% tax on the money over
   $18 million. The owners sat down and poured over every line of the new
   proposal and came to one conclusion, this current deal if in place
   last year would have applied to only 2 players- Michael Jordan, and
   Patrick Ewing. The owners are said to be interested in this thought
   and are prepared to offer a counter proposal. The league had this to
   say:
   GEORGE KARL IS NOT PLAYING: Karl, laid it out: "I'm going to tell you
   point blank," Karl said. "I'm tired of hearing about the injury
   (expletive). I'm telling the players, if I read about that in the
   paper I might fine them." Three Bucks starters -- Terrell Brandon,
   Tyrone Hill and Glenn Robinson -- missed a combined 83 games last
   season because of a variety of injuries. "Injuries are part of the
   NBA," Karl said. "If you don't think they are, you're crazy. Someone
   is going to get hurt this year. Someone is probably going to miss 30
   or 40 games. The truth is, great players don't get hurt because
   they're afraid they might not get back on the court. Great teams do
   not have little injuries. Every injury last year, basically, from what
   I hear, were little injuries; sprained ankles and things like that."
   A LUXURY TAX:  The Owners and Players met yesterday for 3 1/2-hours,
   after which the NBA canceld the 1st 2 weeks of NBA regular season
   games, the sides are scheduled to meet again Friday, at which time the
   owners are expected to give a response to the players latest proposal,
   which includes a Luxury Tax similar to the one used in Major Legaue
   Baseball, the Tax would work like this: the tax would kick in on any
   contract worth more than $18 million, with a tax rate of 50 percent
   for the amount over that threshold. If Michael Jordan signed another
   $33 million contract, the tax that Chicago owner Jerry Reinsdorf would
   pay would be $7.5 million (50 percent of the $15 million over the $18
   million cap). Money collected from the luxury tax would be
   redistributed to low-revenue teams. Union director Billy Hunter said.
   "Our intention was to put something bold on the table. The message
   here is that we're trying. What kind of response they make will
   determine what kind of progress we can make and whether we can salvage
   the rest of the November schedule -- or the rest of
   the season," Stern said the idea of a tax was something the owners
   would look at, but by itself it was not enough to stop the league from
   canceling games. "We had a somewhat more constructive dialogue, but
   it's hard to say if we got closer to an agreement," Deputy
   Commissioner Russ Granik said. "We promised to come back with our own
   set of proposals." The union previously proposed a concession slowing
   the growth of the salary cap from year to year if the amount of money
   devoted to player salaries exceeded 63 percent of revenues. When they
   made another offer in August, they replaced that "cap credit" with a
   change in the maximum raise rule, offering to decrease the
   year-to-year increases in player contracts from a maximum of 20
   percent to 10 percent. Their new offer contains both concessions, as
   well as an agreement to add marijuana to the banned substances list
   and give teams the right of first refusal for players finishing their
   three-year rookie contracts.- Here's my thought, David Stern, was as
   proud of his no games lost, record as a kid winning his first trophy,
   he will not give in to a deal that doesn't cap salaries! Not after
   losing his record- It doesn't happen, I am sure they will do alot of
   things, but a cap is necessary, and a luxury tax, does not restrict a
   player from doing what Garnett did, and thats hold the team hostage
   with "pay me this amount or I walk" the cap will prevent a team from
   being put in that situation,"This is all I can pay, and I'll give it
   all to you", that will be the new slogan for NBA GM's. The league has
   said it is not likey to play a season less than 60 games- we just lost
   at least 6 of them. So at 6 games every two weeks, we have 6 weeks to
   save a season.
   STOUDAMIRE SAYS NEW DEAL HOLDS HIS FUTURE: "You can't beat it," he
   said. "You give me two years, and we (Portland) are going to do some
   things. We're stacked. Now we've just got to get it all together."
   Damon Stoudamire said he hopes to be able to stay with the Portland
   Trail Blazers, but Stoudamire's future with Portland hinges on
   whatever labor agreement the NBA and its players eventually sign. If
   the "Larry Bird exception" that allows teams to exceed their salary
   cap to sign their own free agents is terminated, Stoudamire's chances
   of re-signing with the team would drop dramatically. He said that as
   soon as the labor dispute is over, he expects to sign with someone
   quickly. "It's no problem because I'm not one of those bubble
   players," he said. "As soon as it breaks, it's going to be
   bam-bam-bam." Stoudamire said the dispute will be settled, but he has
   no idea when."It's crazy,... There's still a lot of ego involved on
   both sides. We've got to get it settled, but everything on the table
   now is pro-owners, not pro-players. We can't just take what's there
   now."
   MARBURY DROPS FLEISHER: Minnesota point guard Stephon Marbury, dropped
   his agent Eric Fleisher, and is reportedly going to sign with the
   David Faulk agency, which represents such NBA stars as Michael Jordan,
   Patrick Ewing, and Allen Iverson. Another interesting note is that
   Marbury, who is due for a a new deal next year, was told by an unnamed
   team source that the T-wolves GM Kevin McHale told Fleisher that after
   the way he handled the Kevin Garnett negiotations that the Wolves
   would not negotiate with him again, which prompted alot of trade
   rumors involving Steph. Steph has kept no secret of his desire to play
   in New York, but said that Minnesota has promise for him, and if the
   right deal ($$$$$) can be made he'd stay, but he has no plans to take
   less than his top market value from any team.
   JORDAN SAYS CHICAGO MAY BE A CHALLENGE: Without saying he'd play, he
   most certainly said that he wasn't making his decision based on the
   absence of Phil Jackson, siting that he was healthy, and still had a
   desire to play, but his decisions would be based on the direction the
   league takes in the new Collective Bargining Agreement, and would make
   his choice then, saying that he didn't blame Tim Floyd, but :"... I
   fault Jerry Krause for driving Jackson away," Jordan said.
   LAETTNER's INJURY COULD COST HIM HIS SPOT: The Detroit Pistons have
   kept no secret of their desire to match Christian Laettner with Grant
   Hill, who both played together at Duke, but Laettner's recent injury
   that will cost him the whole season, and may also cost him his spot on
   the roster. Knowing that the Piston's major need is at power forward,
   their 1st choice whould be Tom Gugliotta, but his expected $100
   million price tag, may make the Piston look at other notables such as
   Derrick Coleman. Coleman was bought out of his contract by
   Philadelphia for $5.5 million and is a free agent. Had the Sixers
   retained him, he would have earned $13 million. Coleman's initial
   asking price is expected to be $7.5 million, but he is likey to want 4
   to 5 seasons, which will lockout any chance of Laettner coming in
   later. Others I'd say are on the list may be Charles Barkley, Dennis
   Rodman, Jason Caffey, Loy Vaught, Theo Ratliff, Derek Strong, Corliss
   Williamson, Gary Trent.

                                [12] [LINK]